SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
cons
cons is on a distinguished road

Default 2005 Vue manual transmission problem

I have an '05 Vue w/ manual 5-speed that is having problems.

Background: 3 months ago I had to have the clutch slave cylinder replaced and up until about a month ago it was doing just fine.

My new problem is not the same as what happened before, symptom-wise. What's happening has been intermittent until yesterday and now it's a constant.

When the problem started, it was with 2nd gear. When I was taking off, there wasn't a problem at all, but when I would slow down to turn right or left and go to grab 2nd, the stick would not pull down and pop into position so when I let the clutch out, it would grind. This problem happened intermittently for a few weeks.

Within the last week, it has started effecting 4th gear, to the point where I'm having to skip from 3rd to 5th altogether because it won't go in gear.

Yesterday, I got in the car to back out of my parking spot and it would not go into reverse! I can feel something "catching" when I move the stick shift around, too, especially when I come out of 5th gear.

This is a really hard thing to explain, but the weirdest things are this...

After having all of these problems yesterday morning, I get in the car yesterday afternoon and have ZERO problems, whatsoever! It shifted as smooth as ever in EVERY gear.

This morning, however, it wouldn't go into reverse. I tried and tried to get it pulled down into reverse but it won't pop in.. I hold the stick there and let the clutch out and it just grinds and won't engage. Oddly enough, ALL of the other gears are fine except that it doesn't always want to go into 4th gear.

And lastly.. (sry about the winded message) All of the gears I'm having problems with are in the "bottom" positions. 2nd, 4th and Reverse! 1st, 3rd and 5th, I've NEVER had a problem with.

What does this sound like? I don't think it's the clutch or the transmission itself because the clutch lets out way up top in the peddle no problem, and when it is working properly, all the gears shift just fine and smoothly.

Does anyone have any insight to what may be going on here?

Thanks in advance.

-Cons

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cons's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cons reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cons is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2005 Vue manual transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cons View Post
.... All of the gears I'm having problems with are in the "bottom" positions. 2nd, 4th and Reverse! 1st, 3rd and 5th, I've NEVER had a problem with...
This may help; does the transmission shift with the engine OFF? Having the engine off sometimes isolates a clutch master/slave cylinder issue from a tranny one while at other times it doesn't. I suspect a shift linkage is broken involving 2nd, 4th, and reverse. Pulling off the shift console cover may reveal the linkage pivots otherwise you'll have to look under the hood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #3
cons

Yea, I didn't mention that, but the problem happens when the engine is OFF, too. I can go smoothly into 1st, 3rd and 5th, but 2nd works about 70% of the time, 4th about 20% of time, and currently, Reverse isn't happening at all...

What puzzles me is that yesterday, for a drive to the store, ALL shifting was normal and the stick was smooth, but this morning when I went to go to work, Reverse and 4th gear weren't working.

This has been an intermittent problem for the most part, off and on. I have pulled the shifter jacket off and looked down in the console and I cannot see anything broken or loose. I cannot tell if the "catching" of the stick is happening around the ball joint of the stick or up in the transmission.

It's just so weird that it works sometimes and doesn't work others. It's like there is a piece that is loose in there, popping in and out of position at times.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cons's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cons reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Shifter cables come to mind. You said only the "lower" gears (the gears on "bottom" side of the shifter knob) are effected, right?

I'd start by looking at the end links on the shifter cables both under the hood and under the shifter boot.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
cons

yep, it's 2nd, 4th and Reverse, or all 3 of the gears that you pull the shifter "down" to engage.

Thanks, and I will look into that. What should I look for? Loose cables?

What is so weird is that, when I'm in 5th gear and go to pull out of 5th and into Neutral area, there is a "catch" in the shifter. There's no free play. It's like the shifter is stuck or restricted to just the area between 5th and Reverse. Then, I can force it to the left and it'll give and break free back to how it should normally feel in Neutral. It's a very strange problem, almost like something is loose down there and it catches from time to time.

Thanks for the reply, though. We'll see what happens. Any other suggestions or thoughts are appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cons's Reputation
Old 09-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

looked for cracked/broken end link attachments. I had shifter cable problems way back when. I've heard of other people also having shifter cable problems as well.

You may also be getting some binding somewhere along the cable routing.

I would guess you have a broken shifter cable end though.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote