SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
burp
burp is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE
Default New Astra making me sick (2009 Astra XE Automatic)

Would anyone have a clue why i would get massive migraines while driving my new Astra XE? I also woke up this morning feeling a slight disciomfort breathing as if i inhaled something coating my lungs...

Most likely culprit? Antifreeze? or Exhaust?

Any help/insights much appreciated!!

Cheers,
Jack

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: New Astra making me sick (2009 Astra XE Automatic)

Thats a good one Jack. I don't think it's normal for any car to make a person sick. I hope you find the source of your migraines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Swordfish
Advanced Member
Swordfish is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XE

Don't know if this helps, but if you have been using the A/C, I remember reading on the forums here that there was a mould problem (correct me if I am wrong?) in the A/C system?

Marc-Antoine

2009 Astra XE 5-door, Twilight Blue.
"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Swordfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Swordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordfish View Post
Don't know if this helps, but if you have been using the A/C, I remember reading on the forums here that there was a mould problem (correct me if I am wrong?) in the A/C system?
I didn't think of that Swordfish, I don't get headaches so that never crossed my mind. A small can of unsented ozium sprayed at the base of the hood at the HVAC air intake with the car running, A/C on, recirc off should do the trick. I'd use the ozium at night so it can sit in the car all night to do it's thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Any chance that your new Astra has that new car smell? The chemical manufacturers don't want to reveal to the public that outgassing of processed plastics still continues as the "new car smell" are the byproducts of plastics giving off residual odors as part of the curing cycle. With more information available as never before and media attention given to turning over every nook and cranny to expose every little newsworthy tidbit of sensationalism, outgassing was never a household word until a generation or two of drivers amassed some base data that brought attention to what new car smells meant. Some people are more sensitive to these chemicals leaching out as plastics cure while others are immune. I remember one of my cars having the new car smell years after owning it. I think it was the vinyl seats as a relative bought seat covers for them to keep them from drying out and cracking as all vinyl seats are prone to do. Whenever I pulled the seat covers for washing I'd still smell the newness of a new car smell.

Try leaving the windows down a little when parked or allowing the car to "air out" every time you drive. The a/c mustiness/malodorous stench has always been from the humidity collecting debris from air flow and allowed to grow bacteria like a petri dish inside the enclosed HVAC box. Improper HVAC box ventilation before shutting off the car will allow mold and mildew to grow in the moist environment of the freshly airconditoned car that isn't aired out just before shutdown. If bad enough, a treatment with Frigi Fresh, Ozium, Lysol, or other strong disinfectant sprayed into the outside intake vents can alleviate the quick growing odors from lack of a minute or two of plain air ventilation with the a/c turned off before shutting off the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
burp

2009 Astra XE

Thanks for the advice so far, i sure hope its just mold... will try disinfecting and report back. As for new car smell, this is a demo car, relatively new but with 3000 kms on it so i doubt thats it.

Also seems to alleviate if i turn on the AC or if i change from foot/window vents to body vents, well it did when i was driving highway, didnt seem to make much difference parked...

Thanks for the help so far!! I really need to nail this issue!!

Cheers,
Jack

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Drink better beer.
That swill you buy from Bud-miller-coors is nothing but chemicals...

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
Swordfish
Advanced Member

2009 Astra XE

Hey!!!! Bud Light is good. Natural. Fresh. faaaaaar from chemical. (? lol)

Marc-Antoine

"I have four rules in the Astra. No food, no drink, no smoking, and no vomit. Got it? Now... let me just put my coffee in the cup holder..."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Swordfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
Alman
Alman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Hey!!!! Bud Light is good. Natural. Fresh. faaaaaar from chemical. (? lol)
Yeah just watch their commercials...It's drinkable...just barely though

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alman View Post
Yeah just watch their commercials...It's drinkable...just barely though
I would'nt pour it on my compost heap.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #11
SALSA XR
SALSA XR is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Did you replace the cabin filter? Or pollen filter as it is called. Mine is nearly two years old at this point as my 2008 XR3 was built in December of 2007. I don't get headaches, but I wonder if the blower output is affected by the filtration process.

2008 Saturn Astra XR 3dr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SALSA XR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SALSA XR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SALSA XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
ehastra67
ehastra67 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp View Post
Would anyone have a clue why i would get massive migraines while driving my new Astra XE? I also woke up this morning feeling a slight disciomfort breathing as if i inhaled something coating my lungs...

Most likely culprit? Antifreeze? or Exhaust?

Any help/insights much appreciated!!

Cheers,
Jack
Jack,

I recently brought my Astra in for warranty work for a new gas cap and filler tube, and the dealer found that my car also came up for a warranty issue regarding the radiator. I would up needing a new radiator...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ehastra67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ehastra67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ehastra67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
burp

2009 Astra XE

no i didnt.

When i open the hood, i smell antifreeze, mecahnic says its apparently normal
but i highly doubt it. The sick feeling seems to come on mostly off a cold start, must be a small leak of antifreeze and i am quite sensitive to it.

Any ideas on how to diagnose source of leak??

Thanks!
Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALSA XR View Post
Did you replace the cabin filter? Or pollen filter as it is called. Mine is nearly two years old at this point as my 2008 XR3 was built in December of 2007. I don't get headaches, but I wonder if the blower output is affected by the filtration process.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burp's Reputation
Old 09-30-2009, 10:01 PM   #14
burp

2009 Astra XE

Wow, thats insane. Mine is a 2009 however so who knows if i have that issue, but i will mention it to mechanic. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehastra67 View Post
Jack,

I recently brought my Astra in for warranty work for a new gas cap and filler tube, and the dealer found that my car also came up for a warranty issue regarding the radiator. I would up needing a new radiator...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burp's Reputation
Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 PM   #15
Teh_Freak
Teh_Freak is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Hey!!!! Bud Light is good.
LOL WUT.

This, my friend, is good beer, as is this and this. Bud and Miller are just atrocities, the only thing they're good for is chugging at a game of beer pong, and squirting any cats that may wander in the yard.

Now... back on topic

-- Jon --
Red 2008 Saturn Astra XR3 (2008 - 2012 RIP) :(
Black 1987 Porsche 944
Blue 2012 Ford Focus (On Order)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teh_Freak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teh_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #16
MoparNut
Advanced Member
MoparNut will become famous soon enough

GM and Roger Penske are giving me migraines...could they be the culprits?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MoparNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MoparNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MoparNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #17
Swordfish
Advanced Member

2009 Astra XE

I was wondering what that decomposing corpse smell was in the trunk.... lol

Time to go play beer pong and drink Bud.

Marc-Antoine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
burp

2009 Astra XE

UPDATE:

2 issues, both seem resolved.

1) air came in unpure, problem was 2 plugs from A/C system was not allowing water to escape. Drain plugs were never removed, mechanic has since removed them.

2) Migraines seem to have come from plastic smell. Plastic smell was mild during while weather was hot (not using heater), however once heater was used, the smell amped up. Heater ended up burning away the plastic. It's not perfect yet but the headaches are gone, just have mild discomfort. (I let the car idle with heater at full blast/heat on each vent settings whenever i can).

NOW i can go get my beer!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burp's Reputation
Old 11-21-2009, 10:48 PM   #19
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp View Post
UPDATE:

2 issues, both seem resolved.

1) air came in unpure, problem was 2 plugs from A/C system was not allowing water to escape. Drain plugs were never removed, mechanic has since removed them.

2) Migraines seem to have come from plastic smell. Plastic smell was mild during while weather was hot (not using heater), however once heater was used, the smell amped up. Heater ended up burning away the plastic. It's not perfect yet but the headaches are gone, just have mild discomfort. (I let the car idle with heater at full blast/heat on each vent settings whenever i can).

NOW i can go get my beer!
When you run the heater, try cracking the back windows as you drive. This will help move air through the car and may help clear the offending odors faster.

Hoist a bottle of Fat Tire Ale. That will help adjust the attitude.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #20
burp

2009 Astra XE

The respite was very temporary. The problems came back quickly, just forgot to update.

If no one knew, if you have fumes of any kind making you sick, you will be VERY lucky to get that fixed under warranty.

Let me explain. Warranty service requires the mechanic to diagnose the problem in 15 minutes or less, thats ALL they are paid to do.

That means:
- no radiator pressure test
- no cap pressure test
- no AC line leak test
- no exhaust leak test
- no air quality test

ONLY VISUAL TESTS!!

AFTER 4 months of running around in circles with them they still havent done ****!

I love my Saturn, wish i could drive it. But i HATE GM, I will never get another and will be a VERY vocal advocate against them from here on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burp's Reputation