SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
Mizzou
Mizzou is on a distinguished road

Default Bleed brakes after changing rotor/pads?

Why do people recommend bleeding brakes when changing rotor/pads? IF the caliper is removed but no air is added to the system by messing with the brake fluid hoses, what benefit does bleeding provide other then I guess the possibility they already had air in them to begin with?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mizzou's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mizzou reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
RichBrown
RichBrown is on a distinguished road

1991 SC
1995 SC2
Default Re: Bleed brakes after changing rotor/pads?

I never have.. As long as you dont let air in the line, ie removing the brake lines I dont see the point in messing around with it.. Someone may have a technical overview though..

Richard Brown
saturn@mhvnet.com
Current: 1995 Saturn SC2 1.9L DOHC
Dude where's my oil?

Previously Owned:
1991 SC 80k
1992 SC 92k
2001 SC2 33k
1995 SC2 131K
1993 SC2 110k
1996 SC2 101k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RichBrown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RichBrown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RichBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #3
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

While it's not needed, per se, I think it's a good idea when doing a pad replacement to clean out the crud that's built up over time. If you compare the color of fresh brake fluid (clear, slightly yellow-ish) to what's in your system, you'll realize the wisdom in getting the old stuff out and some fresh stuff in its place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #4
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou View Post
Why do people recommend bleeding brakes when changing rotor/pads? IF the caliper is removed but no air is added to the system by messing with the brake fluid hoses, what benefit does bleeding provide other then I guess the possibility they already had air in them to begin with?
you don't need to bleed the brakes after replacing pads and rotors.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

^ ^ ^ He's absolutely right. But only if the car's brake system is less than (approximately) 5-years old or hasn't been bled in that time. In other words, read the threads about those cars, here or anywhere else, that's never had brakes bled - they wind up with the same symptoms years after; brake pedal goes through to the floor. From the master cylinder corroded with old fluid retaining water absorbed through the years and pitting the cast iron bore hole. At the least, consider replacing the entire brake system fluids with a complete flushing every 5-years or when any bleeding is required from replacing a wheel cylinder or caliper, whichever occurs first. Then new fluid replaces old moisture absorbed fluid. Brakes, pads, shoes, calipers, drums, flushing, bleeding, adjustments, repairs, etc., require more than casual knowledge of brake systems and not for the unwilling not interested in complete brake maintenance. To think otherwise is foolish as in taking shortcuts to save a few dollars here or there. Keeping the entire brake system in proper perspective and then seeing where costs are saved will be easier to understand; by assuming all the responsibilities of brake maintenance, savings are immediately made from the labor paid to others doing the professional work. The savings made is from fully understanding the risks and responsibilities of complete brake maintenance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
nmikmik
nmikmik is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

The only benefit I see from bleeding you brakes every pad change (other then getting really good at it) is like MiSaturn said, getting old stuff out new fluid in. This way you never need a brake fluid flush that sometimes can actually mess up some valve in the system if done hastily. It also depends on other factors, like what area of the country (moisturewise) you live in, how often brake reservoir is opened for "inspection" , btw, another reason i do not use "help" in servicing my cars. It seems every time you go (used to go) for the oil change they pop the brake fluid cap and say "you need a fluid exchnage" $$ for them or just another opportunity for moisture to get in the brake fluid and cause corrosion in the system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nmikmik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nmikmik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nmikmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #7
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

No point, Never had a problem leaving in the fluid when doing a basic brake job.. I only bleed when something in the system needs changing, wheel cyl, caliper, brake line..

1996 SL2 5MT. 239KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.
2000 SW2 5MT. 133KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
nmikmik
nmikmik is on a distinguished road

1998 SW2

this is becoming another "oil additives" thread, or at least it seems. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but there are other factors, like "can you do the bleeding where you live" what if someone lives in the apartment and can get kicked out if they cough him doing it (personal experience) or the weather is nasty enough that you just want to "get over it"
I am not trying to sound like a lawyer, but "It depends"
It for sure is NOT a requirement to do every brake job, just a nice preventive thing to keep in mind imo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nmikmik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nmikmik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nmikmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:55 PM   #9
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

A bleed is not necessary at all. Maintaining good quality fluid is a related, but separate, issue.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:36 AM   #10
vtsl2
Advanced Member
vtsl2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SL2

when a brake job is done on a car with ABS(this goes against everything that is said)but when you push the piston back in you should crack the bleeder so your not pushing dirty fliud back into the ABS unit.i know with the ford crown vic's if you do that you have to bleed thew whole system to get the brake light to go out. thats a real PITA.

i attach a tight fitting hose to the bleeder so when i crack the valve and push the piston in, no air gets in the system,that seems to work the best for me.

yes you need to open the master cylinder, but your putting in fresh fliud at that point.

SATURNS ROCK: THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY
99 sl2m mine
94 sl2m my sons
10 ford Taurus with paddle shift(cool)
99 sw2a converted to manuel
02 chevy Silverado extened cab stepside

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vtsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vtsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vtsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote