SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
shaneh
shaneh is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 2002 saturn sl2

for the past 2 months i have been getting a code p0171 fuel trim lean. i have replaced both oxygen sensors and all four fuel injectors. also last year i replaced the fuel filter with an oem filter. when i press on the gas sometimes it wont go and sometimes it surges and jumps until i get to about 2300 rpms. the service engine soon light keeps coming on and off. i thought it might have been the maf sensor but i couldnt find it on the car.tps sensor maybe? please help me fix my saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shaneh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shaneh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shaneh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #2
shaneh

Default Re: 2002 saturn sl2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneh View Post
for the past 2 months i have been getting a code p0171 fuel trim lean. i have replaced both oxygen sensors and all four fuel injectors. also last year i replaced the fuel filter with an oem filter. when i press on the gas sometimes it wont go and sometimes it surges and jumps until i get to about 2300 rpms. the service engine soon light keeps coming on and off. i thought it might have been the maf sensor but i couldnt find it on the car.tps sensor maybe? please help me fix my saturn.
i just tried throwing a throttle position sensor and that wasnt the problem. any suggestions???

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help shaneh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Stop throwing money are your car!

Replace the ECTS which is most likely your original and only issue.

Your Fuel filter is good for 100K.

Fuel injectors fail everynow and then. I think I've read of 2 times since I started using saturns?

O2 sensors throw specific codes 9/10.

TPS is a possible suspect but second to the ECTS.

Vitals on the car? Miles? tranny type?

After replacing the ECTS normal operating temps should be 3/8 per the gauge. Anything less suggests the thermostat is bad.

Plug type? NGK only.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
bjazi01
bjazi01 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneh View Post
This is too funny, I am was having the SAME exact problem you mentioned...

My case it was the EGR valve..

2001 SC-2 95000 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bjazi01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bjazi01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bjazi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:18 PM   #5
shaneh

Dizzy Re: 2002 saturn sl2

i put a new map sensor in the car but that didnt fix it. on the highway today,in stop and go traffic, my rpms dropped so low that the car wouldnt run anymore so i called aaa and got towed to a stop and shop. my brother came and we put in the engine coolant temp sensor. it completely revived the car and it started running again. then when i got home i erased the ses light and it came back on in 30 seconds.

so in total, i have a p0171 code in my 2002 sl2. i have replaced all 4 fuel injectors, the map sensor, both 02 sensors, the throttle position sensor the fuel filther, and the ects. i am totally stumped on what to do next. this is getting too expensive to keep guessing on what to replace next. somebody pease help me out. i need ideas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
shaneh

Dizzy Re: 2002 saturn sl2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
Stop throwing money are your car!

Replace the ECTS which is most likely your original and only issue.

Your Fuel filter is good for 100K.

Fuel injectors fail everynow and then. I think I've read of 2 times since I started using saturns?

O2 sensors throw specific codes 9/10.

TPS is a possible suspect but second to the ECTS.

Vitals on the car? Miles? tranny type?

After replacing the ECTS normal operating temps should be 3/8 per the gauge. Anything less suggests the thermostat is bad.

Plug type? NGK only.
i have 97,000 miles on my car and its a 5 speed manual car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Rather than replacing parts (which adds up quickly without resolving the issue), you should do more diagnosis and troubleshooting.

Did you buy the filter at a Saturn dealership, or at a car parts store?

Buy an inexpensive fuel pressure tester and test your fuel pressure. Look for posts by OldNuc - he's described the procedure to test plus the fuel pressure specs on other posts

edit: also, search this forum using P0171 as the search term; you'll find lots of threads

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p
102k @ purchase, now 167k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I'd say to check all your vacuum lines.

Your car is a 2002 which already had the brass tipped ECTS, so replacing that was pointless. At least it was cheap. The MAP sensor is the newer GM design and they rarely go bad as well, but sometimes gunk clogs up the port where it connects to the intake.

The fuel filter was due for replacement shortly anyways so that wasn't a bad idea.

I wonder if the fuel pump is getting weak. Albeit they don't go out very often on Saturns. A fuel pressure test could verify this.

I'd replace the plugs if you haven't done that in a while. NGKs are preferred by most (myself included), but any plugs of the standard copper variety with the correct heat range will suffice.

Another possibility on yours is maybe something with the A.I.R./emissions stuff is messing with the engine.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote