SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
jdhar
jdhar is on a distinguished road

Question Blown fuel pump fuse

I've searched some of the threads but have not found one that fits.I have a 1999 SC1 with fuel pump problems. The car would turn over but not start. I found a blown 10A fuel pump fuse . Changed the fuse and the fuel filter thinking it was the problem. After changing the fuel filter the car would run and everything was great(i thought) A week later another blown fuse. I replaced the fuse and as soon as I turned the ignition to start the fuse blew. Installed a new fuse and disconnected the wiring harness in the trunk. The fuse did not blow but was wondering exactly what that ment. Short in the wiring to the tank or no load on the fuse. The car has been sitting for about a year and the fuel was low but started fine until now. Any advice on this problem would be appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jdhar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jdhar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Re: Blown fuel pump fuse

fuses blow when too much current flows through them, theres basically 2 ways that can happen, either a short (you know V=IR really low R and I is really high) or the motor driven off that circuit is stalled or closer to stall than the circuit was designed for it to run at. I'd check the wiring first since thats normally a cheaper fix.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #3
jdhar

I think you are right on the short or the fuel pump motor. Please correct me if I am thinking wrong on this one. When I disconnected the wiring harness at the fuel pump wiring couplin in the trunk and the fuse did not blow I assumed that the short was not in the wiring leading back to the fuse. Question? What is the best way to check the wiring leading from the couplin to the tank? Will I have to drop the tank to check it or is there a better way. I don't see a way to get my hand on top of the tank to disconnect the wiring without removing the tank but I could be missing the solution. If it is the pump I will have to drop the tank to replace it but like everyone else I am looking for the easiest way. I found a great "How to replace the fuel pump" on one of the threads and printed it just in case.
Thanks for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jdhar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhar View Post
I think you are right on the short or the fuel pump motor. Please correct me if I am thinking wrong on this one. When I disconnected the wiring harness at the fuel pump wiring couplin in the trunk and the fuse did not blow I assumed that the short was not in the wiring leading back to the fuse.

That would be a correct assumption. Problem appears to be in the tank or teh wiring from teh tank to the connector in back where you disconnected it.

Question? What is the best way to check the wiring leading from the couplin to the tank? Will I have to drop the tank to check it or is there a better way. I don't see a way to get my hand on top of the tank to disconnect the wiring without removing the tank but I could be missing the solution. If it is the pump I will have to drop the tank to replace it but like everyone else I am looking for the easiest way. I found a great "How to replace the fuel pump" on one of the threads and printed it just in case.
Thanks for your help!
You measure the resistance of the power pins to ground. depending on teh results of this test will determine if you have to drop the tank. This link is to a How-To on replacing the pump unit. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=142900
Below is a drawing of the electrical wiring in the tank. The pins in the connector are labeled by letter. the letters are on teh plug and connector, they are small and a bit hard to find the first time.

Pin A is the pump and will read 2 or 3 ohms to ground. The level sensor is B and C and has no effect on the pump fuse. You are only concerned with the resistance of the pump grey wire to body ground. Ground is bare metal somewhere in the trunk. The drawing is for a 98 and yours is almost identical. As long as you measure the resistance of teh grey wire to the tank and ground you will be checking the pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:50 AM   #5
jdhar

Thumbs Up Re: Blown fuel pump fuse

Thanks for everyones help. I'm sure that I will be able to isolate and correct the problem. I read in a thread earlier posted by OldNuc that the Purolator fuel regulator would not work. I did replace my regulator with a Purolator also. I wanted a Wix but found out they had discontinued theirs. I will keep a close eye on the regulator and replace it with OEM. I'm not a computer person but I have spent hours reading the threads on this site and am amazed at the knowledge and willingness to share. Thank You SaturnFans and God Bless!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Best approach with the filter/regulator is to just go to Get Saturn Parts and buy the OEM unit. http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214643 and this is the part number you need, 21009427. There is no real way you can properly monitor the regulator section performance while driving. Any operation outside of the proper range can result in wasting fuel and running excessively rich or running lean, both conditions might result in engine damage along with the obvious problems.

I doubt that the fuse issue is related to teh filter/regulator but it may have contributed to the probable pump failure. RockAuto is the low cost place to buy a pump unit. The complete unit is the easiest way to do the replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #7
jdhar

Last question on this subject(i hope) I did the test you instructed me on and got a reading of 1.5 to 1.7 ohms. I don't know exactly what that means but my guess is a faulty fuel pump. I thought if the pump was bad I would get a very high reading but I guess I'm backwards on this. I will order the fuel regulator and fuel pump from your suggested outlets. Thanks for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #8
jdhar

Last question on this subject(i hope) I did the test you instructed me on and got a reading of 1.5 to 1.7 ohms. I don't know exactly what that means but my guess is a faulty fuel pump. I thought if the pump was bad I would get a very high reading but I guess I'm backwards on this. I will order the fuel regulator and fuel pump from your suggested outlets. Thanks for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The secret here is Ohm's Law E=IR where E=volts, I=amps, and R=ohms. When you use the battery voltage and plug the data into the formula you get 12=I(1.7) which is a bit over 6 amps. The ohmmeter reading also includes the test lead resistance and that can be as much as 1 ohm. Subtract that out of your reading and your current is about17 amps. the fuse is rated for 10amps. Sounds like a bad pump. A good pump will read about 80 ohms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
jdhar

Thumbs Up Re: Blown fuel pump fuse

I just finished replacing my fuel pump and filter! Thanks to ShawnV and his How To everything went well.Oldnuc had great advice on how to diagnose the problem as well as where to purchase the parts. My car is a 1999 SC1 and has a antisiphon tube that caused me some problems with not being able to remove the gas in the tank but thinking back I should have been able to siphon it out after I removed the filler tube. Removing the filler tube from the tank was the hardest part of the repair. I know this sounds crazy but I had a very enjoyable time doing this repair myself. THANKS ShawnV and OldNuc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:38 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is axiomatic that the pump will fail when the tank is full. Removing the gas is the hardest part of the job. It is good to hear that the ShawnV how-to was a help for you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!