SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #1
Saturn_Couple
Saturn_Couple is on a distinguished road

Default NEWBIE Here.

Don't let the screen-name name fool you - we haven't (yet) purchased a Saturn vehicle but we're contemplating getting two (2) within the next couple of months.

An Outlook for me (hubby) and a Vue for her.

In my casual web research, I have found *MOST* people to be happy with their Outlook but have found pockets of sites where people were vehemently UN-happy with the vehicle - recurring problems ranging from transmission issues to battery and electrical issues.

This is obviously something that every manufacturer deals with - there are ALWAYS going to be a small percentage of cars that (for whatever reason) just aren't up-to-par with the rest.

I was curious what most of you think about your Outlook and its reliability.

To me, it's a better-styled version of the GMC Acadia... but the Acadia has been getting a LOT of bad press regarding its reliability, and I didn't know how much is shared between the two.

Thoughts...?

Thanks...
- Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn_Couple's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn_Couple reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn_Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #2
khansen30
khansen30 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default Re: NEWBIE Here.

I have owned both. My 07 Outlook was great except for the water leaks. One dealer fixed, then another dealer ruined. I traded it in on the Acadia this last April. The two are the same mechanically. It's the dash and body that are slightly different. They both ride the same, get the same mileage, etc... If you buy a Saturn, you will eventually be taking it to a GMC, Chevy, Buick dealer to have warranty work done (that is what I am now doing with my wifes Aura). I like my 09 more because of the blue tooth. Other than that it is hard to tell the difference.

I didn't go back to the Outlook because the Saturn dealer here closed down, and with the uncertainty of Saturn at the time, did not want to mess with the different dealers for repairs. When my Aura's lease is up, we may go to the Malibu.

What you read about on complaints on the Acadia is somewhat distorted as people complain more than they compliment. Some of these people also belong to several boards and complain the same way each time. There has not been near the traffic on the Outlook sites as the Acadia and Enclave sites over the last year. But I would venture to say that the number of problems as a percent to sales is the same. You hear more about the Acadia because there are more of them on the road. If you like the Acadia, get it, your chances of problems are the same either way in my opinion.

As for the Vue, I like it, just too small for me.

2009 GMC SLT2 Acadia (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to khansen30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help khansen30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
khansen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Saturn_Couple

Thanks for your reply.

I looked at the GMC Acadia and quite frankly, I have never been a "fan" of GMC's interior stylings. The Saturn Outlook's choice of interior layout, materials and aesthetics feel a lot more "luxury" to me than the GMC.

What looked promising in my research is that (like ALL models over time) the Outlook reliability re: time spent in repairs has been steadily declining year-over-year since its introduction. The figures for 2009 looked really good and I can only presume (hope) that 2010 will be even better.

And yes, the Vue is smaller - hence the wife getting that one. She just wants to "sit higher" in a vehicle. She has no need for hauling things.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn_Couple reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
james
james is on a distinguished road

We were in the same boat... deciding between the Acadia, Traverse, and Outlook. Ultimately we got the Outlook since we liked the exterior styling better (the interior is very similar in my opinion).

About 3k miles on our '09 XE FWD and no issues so far!! Fit and finish is excellent and it's really nice to drive.

Now's a good time to buy, so I'd get it

'09 Outloook XE FWD - Midnight Blue
'00 Camaro Z28

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to james's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help james reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Saturn_Couple

We're just waiting for the 2010 models to arrive.
Once they are in showrooms around here, we'll do the test-drives and so-forth.

We're pulling the trigger in the next month or two so as to get the tax benefit for 2009. Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT---
Apparently I cannot post links to images (yet).
I was going to show A/B of the interiors.

The GMC feels a little too utilitarian to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
VUESBROTHERS
VUESBROTHERS is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR

Welcome Saturn Couple,

As Khansen30 said, the mechanicals are the same. It boils down to asthetics (sp?)/personal choice. Since you are going for a 2010, you will be able to truly pick your options as well as colors unless you find as close a match to your final choices from dealer inventory. I would think the dealers will deal on these.

We pulled the trigger back on 7/28/09, selling our 06 VUE (it was a rocket [3.5 liter Honda motor]l) buying a heavily optioned 09 XR FWD in Cocoa w/a Tan leather interior. It had all the options except the Touring Pkg and Cooled seats. I am impressed with the fit/finish and quietness of this vehicle.

I wish you good luck with whatever your choice is.

Regards,

Jim

'09 XR FWD, Bluetooth, Nav, O/H DVD, 8 Pass, Leather, Htd Seats, Tow Pkg, Moon, Sky Light, Conv Pkg, Bose Surround Audio Pkg, Enhanced Conv Pkg, HID, 2-Way Advanced Remote

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VUESBROTHERS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VUESBROTHERS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VUESBROTHERS is offline   Reply With Quote