SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 09-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1
Default Horn Replacement OEM or ???

Have to replace the horn on the 97 SC2. I could go OEM or something bigger and better. Anyone do anything unique with your horn?

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: Horn Replacement OEM or ???

I wired up an aftermarket horn in my wife's SC1 when the OEM quit, since the design with the built-in relay annoyed me. Unfortunately, the horn wasn't any louder than stock, in spite of all sorts of claims on the packaging that it was very loud. I think I need to dig back into it & replace either the relay or horn again, as it has once again faded into non-function.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growser View Post
Have to replace the horn on the 97 SC2. I could go OEM or something bigger and better. Anyone do anything unique with your horn?
Think of the fun you could have with one of these. http://www.hornblasters.com/

If you go the relay route you need at least 500 ohms of coil resistance to prevent burning up the flimsy horn buttons and be sure to install an arc suppression diode across the relay coil. Another across the horn power relay contacts is not a bad idea either. You can get the relay cheap here. http://www.allelectronics.com/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

Would have to find the room under the hood to do something like this, but it would be an attention getter.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

Compressor in the trunk and heavy duty power back to it. If I had one I would find room. I have had loud horns before and they are great sport. I would love to have one for the idiot with the cell phone crammed in their ear and their lip flapped up over their eyes.

More linkage. http://www.trainhorn.org/ Has sound files. There are some that get up to 165-170 DbA. That would require some decent ear protection to be donned before initiating a gentle toot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The larger the diaphragm and the larger the throat diameter the louder and lower tone. This started life as a steam horn.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAIN-HORN-LOCOM...d=p3286.c0.m14

Move the battery to the trunk and it will fit. Probably will need a WAI also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Horn Replacement OEM or ???

Funny, I was just at All Electronics in Van Nuys week before last. Neat place. I bought a new surplus power window motor (looks like from a VW) to motorize the height adjustment on our garden tractor.

To the subject-

Any plug-in replacement will probably sound like the original unfortunately.

I did the relay/airhorn (Fiamm) thing on my 97 SC2 a couple of years ago (search for "meep meep"). It worked but in the end water that got splashed up into the front fender well cavity somehow ended up taking out the compressor.

There are 30 amp capacity cube relays that will work very well for the purpose, All Electronics does carry those, and they are sealed from the elements. Get the pre-wired connectors if you can. Saves a lot of grief.

However, take it from me, mount the compressor somewhere high and dry, and preferably with the air inlet pointed down if yours will allow it. Mine had to be mounted inlet up according to the case markings. Seems kind of dumb but that's how it was.

It sure was nice while it lasted though. I haven't gotten around to redoing it with another brand and am running the pathetic OEM horn at the moment. Meep meep.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:05 AM   #8
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Fiamm makes a cheap high/low electric horn combo that gets some respect on the road. Used the supplied straight brackets to make a "V" shaped one, and used the existing horn mounting screw at the base of the V to hold them together.

Has also used Hella "Supertone" horn sets, which claim to be the loudest horns available. They certainly are loud, but a little too high pitched for my liking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #9
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to all

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
http://www.hornblasters.com/

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:09 PM   #10
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Next time your at a good wrecker look for a big old Caddy. Even some of the newer ones will have em as well. If you find the right one you'll have about 6 or so horns to remove! Get em all as they are different notes. Do a relay addition and use a dedicated, fused, ten gauge from the UHJB positive post.

2000 SL1 freebie
1998 SC1 still running
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
1978 Chrysler NewYorker Brougham

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
crystal scan
Advanced Member
crystal scan is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Would have to find the room under the hood to do something like this, but it would be an attention getter.
take out the AC compressor

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crystal scan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crystal scan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crystal scan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
Train Horns
Train Horns is on a distinguished road

Is this everything that I would need to install a train horn on my frontier? I have absolutely no mechanical experience. Will I need to get someone to install it for me, or can anyone install it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Train Horns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Train Horns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Train Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to all

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Train Horns View Post
Is this everything that I would need to install a train horn on my frontier? I have absolutely no mechanical experience. Will I need to get someone to install it for me, or can anyone install it?

For real train horns, you'll need the horns, an air tank and compressor. Plus all the lines, valves and wiring. And the most important part, space to mount it all.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #14
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

And a good lawyer, for the first time you use it in public.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #15
hooked2u
hooked2u is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

While I had a service warranty with Saturn my horn was replaced 7 times over the 5 year service warranty period. My mechanic replaced the 7th OEM with something from Auto Zone. It lasted 5 years. I've been running without a horn for 6 months. After viewing richpin06's video on horn replacement, I feel comfortable with doing the replacement myself. I think I will opt for a NAPA or Auito Zone replacement.

1999 Saturn SC2. 215108 (as of: 2009NOV28).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hooked2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hooked2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hooked2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

If you have a 3 terminal horn you need to use a relay or you will burn out the horn button contacts instantly. If it has already been re-engineered to a 2 terminal horn then the "new' relay may have died. This is the original 98/99 wiring diagram. Watch the polarities.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #17
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

my Saturn has two horns. one is under the fender and the second one is under the hood next to the latch where Saturn originally mounted them before 96. the mounting hole is there so I used a stock 91-95 bracket for it and taped into the factory wiring.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #18
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

do saturns have dual horns or only one? i see one under the driver's side leadlight pod on my car, & it sounds like only one horn.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

One, unless its been modified.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-28-2009, 03:15 PM   #20
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
One, unless its been modified.
ya that's why it's not so loud, but ya know me it's staying stock....

all cars should have dual horns though in case one goes out, just a safety thing...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote