SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Retailers Say Penske Close to Buying Saturn

A new feeditems entry has been added:

Retailers Say Penske Close to Buying Saturn

Quote:
Robert Snell from the Detroit News: Saturn dealers nationwide have received new sales and service agreements from Roger Penske, a sign the auto icon is close to finalizing a deal for the castoff General Motors brand. The two-year agreements, which are subject to completion of a deal for Saturn, were sent to about 340 U.S. dealers, who had until September 11th to sign and return them. The agreements have one-year automatic renewals if dealers meet certain conditions.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
saturn 51
saturn 51 is on a distinguished road

Question Re: Retailers Say Penske Close to Buying Saturn

I hope it happens before 09/30/09 after that G.M. shuts of floor plan and finance help. Note that last word, (help!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn 51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn 51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Starduster_Sat
Starduster_Sat is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: Retailers Say Penske Close to Buying Saturn

Getting closer...

Tomorrow we take the '97 to Saturn of Alexandria for scheduled maintenance.
Will report back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Starduster_Sat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Starduster_Sat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Starduster_Sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I find it amusing that Bob Lutz believes that all the sales from Saturn, Saab, and Pontiac will be buying Chevrolets. They're starting a third shift at the CAMI plant to build the new Equinox.

Once Penske can properly promote the VUE, they should be able to capture a portion of the Equinox's sales. Even put the Aura head to head against the Malibu.

IMO most Saturn owners wouldn't consider a Chevrolet. The quality and performance of the Honda power train has really raised my expectations. I don't think I'd ever be satisfied with a GM power train again.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #5
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
I find it amusing that Bob Lutz believes that all the sales from Saturn, Saab, and Pontiac will be buying Chevrolets. They're starting a third shift at the CAMI plant to build the new Equinox.

Once Penske can properly promote the VUE, they should be able to capture a portion of the Equinox's sales. Even put the Aura head to head against the Malibu.

IMO most Saturn owners wouldn't consider a Chevrolet. The quality and performance of the Honda power train has really raised my expectations. I don't think I'd ever be satisfied with a GM power train again.
Unless these people really have some sort of love affair with the Vue, I don't see it taking away much of the Equinox sales. The Equinox is way better than the Vue interior and exterior design, quality, and overall appearance.

I wouldn't think twice about buying a Chevy, especially the Eqinox, over anything that Saturn is offering now.

The Honda motor in the Vue was an good engine, but it's kind of ridiculous to think that it's better than any GM powertrain out there. The GM 3.5 and 3.6DI are also good V6 engines

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:

I used to think the same thing about Chevy, but their latest offerings are really good. I looked at a Traverse mainly because the GMC dealer was trying to rip me off on an Acadia. Otherwise I would have bought an Acadia. We ended up with the Traverse. While I still like the exterior of the GMC better, the interior of the Traverse in lower trims blew away the Acadia. The Acadia felt like a stripped down model in the low trims. I don't get that feeling from our LT1 Traverse. The Vue is a good SUV, but the new Equinox has the MPG going for it. The Vue can't compete if MPG is a concern.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2015 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

The Honda J35 V6 is light years better than any V6 GM has ever manufactured. It is smoother running, more reliable, better built, gets better mileage and performance.

If what you are suggesting is true, then Penske might as well not buy Saturn. You feel their current lineup is no longer competitive.

Did you even read the reviews about the new Equinox? The one I read in USA Today was not very good. IMO all the upgrades were primarily in appearance.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...-equinox_N.htm

There was a lot of good stuff which has been with the Theta chassis since 2002, but there's a lot of bad...

snip from the article...
Bad stuff:

•Transmission's not housebroken. Yeah, it's a six-speed in a segment populated by four- and five-speed automatics, and you have to give GM credit for that.

But in the four-cylinder Equinox, it shimmied and shuddered on some shifts, delayed grossly before downshifting in medium-speed, medium-throttle circumstances. Good snappy shifts if you floored the pedal, but most people don't drive that way.

"That has not been the type of comment we've heard" from GM test drivers or early buyers, Reuter says.

The V-6 uses a different version of the transmission and shifted better, though slurred on some upshifts instead of, bang, grabbing the next gear.

Chevy says the test vehicles were right off the production line, not early-build units without the latest software, which is what many media test vehicles are. "Fully representative," says Reuter, who drove the four-cylinder before it was handed over to Test Drive and felt no shift problems.

•Big turning circle. Forty feet; more with optional 19-inch tires. Rivals' are about 35 feet. Clumsy in the mall parking lot or tight urban maneuvers. It's due to the unusually long wheelbase, Reuter says, and the trade-off is Equinox's extraordinary back-seat room.

•No safety head restraint in the middle rear seating slot. GM, unlike rivals, couldn't figure a way to put one there without poking into the driver's rear view.

•Poor rear visibility. Mainly blame the fat side and rear roof pillars. Consider the optional backup camera.

•Second-rate rear arm rest. Folded down to offer merely a dual cup holder. No additional bin for fries, Lego pieces and the like. C'mon, this is a family bus. Consider the kids.

•No clever cubbies under the cargo area floor, as found in many rivals.

•No 115-volt outlet, as some rivals offer.

•Low-rise front-door map pockets. Your papers will fall out.

The Equinoxes had a fetching jump-'n'-go personality, and were sufficiently classy and comfy to overlook most gripes. The V-6 is pick of the litter because its transmission shifted OK, and the extra power's a rollicking good time.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

It does not matter anyways, the vue's since 2008 do not have the honda engine. If i was to buy a new car to replace my saturn ion or vue i would go chevy without a question over saturn. Service is alot better and cheeper, cars are cheeper and look better, the only down side is the sales people.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIONSLVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIONSLVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The Honda J35 V6 is light years better than any V6 GM has ever manufactured. It is smoother running, more reliable, better built, gets better mileage and performance.
Why is that? Just because your Vue has one? Don't let your opinions get in the way of the facts. The new 3.0 SIDI V6 that is going in the Equinox gets around the same feul economy as the 3.5 V6 that was in the Vues. Yet it makes mare horsepower with less displacement.

Quote:
Did you even read the reviews about the new Equinox? The one I read in USA Today was not very good. IMO all the upgrades were primarily in appearance.
Nope, I based my own opinion after driving one, not what a newspaper editor thinks. Apparently many others don't care what they say either since they seem to be flying off the dealer lots around here within a matter of days. It's not like the Vue received that great of reviews either. Do editiors ever have anying 100% positive things to say about any domestic branded vehicle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
TiVoPrince
TiVoPrince is on a distinguished road

Drove
the Equilox LTZ 2WD, Vue XE4 FWD and Vue RL 2WD. Voted with my wallet on the Vue RL. Decided that the momentary sweet taste of the 'better' price would be offset by the bitter taste of cheap items like the cupholders and poor fit finish of the interior. Of course the individual build quality of each vehicle was compared here so I can't say anythig about overall build quality. The only positive for the Equinox I can recall clearly was the better position of the lumbar adjuster.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TiVoPrince's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TiVoPrince reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TiVoPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #11
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:

If what you are suggesting is true, then Penske might as well not buy Saturn. You feel their current lineup is no longer competitive.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...-equinox_N.htm

There was a lot of good stuff which has been with the Theta chassis since 2002, but there's a lot of bad...

snip from the article...
Bad stuff:

•Transmission's not housebroken. Yeah, it's a six-speed in a segment populated by four- and five-speed automatics, and you have to give GM credit for that.

But in the four-cylinder Equinox, it shimmied and shuddered on some shifts, delayed grossly before downshifting in medium-speed, medium-throttle circumstances. Good snappy shifts if you floored the pedal, but most people don't drive that way.

"That has not been the type of comment we've heard" from GM test drivers or early buyers, Reuter says.

The V-6 uses a different version of the transmission and shifted better, though slurred on some upshifts instead of, bang, grabbing the next gear.

Chevy says the test vehicles were right off the production line, not early-build units without the latest software, which is what many media test vehicles are. "Fully representative," says Reuter, who drove the four-cylinder before it was handed over to Test Drive and felt no shift problems.

•Big turning circle. Forty feet; more with optional 19-inch tires. Rivals' are about 35 feet. Clumsy in the mall parking lot or tight urban maneuvers. It's due to the unusually long wheelbase, Reuter says, and the trade-off is Equinox's extraordinary back-seat room.

•No safety head restraint in the middle rear seating slot. GM, unlike rivals, couldn't figure a way to put one there without poking into the driver's rear view.

•Poor rear visibility. Mainly blame the fat side and rear roof pillars. Consider the optional backup camera.

•Second-rate rear arm rest. Folded down to offer merely a dual cup holder. No additional bin for fries, Lego pieces and the like. C'mon, this is a family bus. Consider the kids.

•No clever cubbies under the cargo area floor, as found in many rivals.

•No 115-volt outlet, as some rivals offer.

•Low-rise front-door map pockets. Your papers will fall out.

The Equinoxes had a fetching jump-'n'-go personality, and were sufficiently classy and comfy to overlook most gripes. The V-6 is pick of the litter because its transmission shifted OK, and the extra power's a rollicking good time.
I've read quite a few reviews of the new Nox, but they have all been quite postive. Most of the negatives in the USA today article seem like they were looking for something wrong. I can understand the concerns about the transmission shifting, but I have a feeling alot of it is tuning to get the mileage up. If there are issues, they can usually be fixed with a software update. The rest are things you either adjust to as you get used to the car, or are pretty nit-picky.

I'm not trying to knock the VUE. Heck I drove a 2005 VUE V6 until last year. I'm just saying that the new Nox seems like a class leading product. The Vue has been out for a few years now, so the new Nox is bound to have a few advantages.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2015 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote