SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 11:34 PM   #1
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Replacing the inner tie rods S-Series

Here is a how-to guide for replacing the inner tie rods on a Saturn S-Series. I performed this on my 1997 SW2. When I replaced my outer tie rod ends, I noticed that the tie rods would drop very easily from any position Ė time for new inner tie rods!

Make sure to watch the Richpin inner tie rod walkthrough video.

First get the car up on jack stands and remove the wheels. Hereís a picture of the tie rod to remove. Note that I was also replacing my hubs, but you donít need to remove the drive shaft nut.

Remove the cotter pin and castle nut and use either a pickle fork (youíll need to replace the outer tie rod boot) or a tie-rod separator (youíre keeping your outer tie rod end boot) to remove the outer tie rod end from the steering knuckle. Leave the outer tie rod end on the tie rod and just let it hang there. Next, remove the boot thatís covering the inner tie rod ball and socket. There is a spring clamp on the small end and there is a metal band on the larger end of the boot. If you canít see the connection part of the metal band, grab the boot and turn it until you can. I shoved my flathead under the end of it and it popped off. Once the metal band is off grab the boot and pull it off.

On mine there was a plastic cover covering the socket end that had me stumped as to how to remove. I mistook it for the socket itself, but just grab it and push it back. Skipping ahead, hereís a picture of the socket and the cover once it was off.

Back on trackÖ Youíll need a crow foot wrench to properly remove the tie rod. There are two flat surfaces on the socket end that will accept your wrench. I could not find anyone who had a large enough crow foot, so I fashioned my own using my cheapest 12Ē crescent and my angle grinder.

This was a pain to get in there, but it worked. I also used some channel locks to finish unscrewing the socket once it was loose.

After itís off, place in your vice and loosen the jam nut on the outer tie rod end.

Next, remove the outer tie rod end counting how many turns it takes to remove. Keep that number in mind then remove the jam nut, spring clamp from the small end of the boot, and boot. Reinstall everything onto the new tie rod, making sure to count the turns for the tie rod end.

Hereís a picture of the new and old tie rods.

Place some lock tite on the threads of the new tie rod and thread back into the steering rack. I used my wrench to snug it back up. Pull your plastic cap back over the socket end and replace the boot. I used a zip tie for the larger end of the boot where the metal strap was and replaced the spring clamp on the small end.

Here are some pictures of the passengerís side of the car. There was much more room to work from under the car on this side.

If I had not recently replaced my oil and filter I would have removed the oil filter to gain more room, but it came off all right anyway.

Reinstall everything and youíll be on your way. With any luck you wonít have messed up your alignment too much.

Some notes:

A mechanic told me I had to ďhold the steering rack or youíll break itĒ but I didnít have any problems when I was wrenching on the socket end of the tie rod.

Power steering fluid will leak out once you remove the boot, but I didnít need to add any after the replacement. Check your fluid level after a day of driving.

The tube-style inner tie rod removal tool from autozone will not work with our style inner tie rods.

The inner tie rods were $25 each from Napa.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
cincy_14
cincy_14 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: Replacing the inner tie rods S-Series

Thanks for posting this shawn. What size crow foot wrench fits on the flats?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cincy_14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cincy_14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cincy_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
KingRex
Advanced Member
KingRex will become famous soon enoughKingRex will become famous soon enough

1994 SL2

Another FANTASTIC way to break those 30MM axle nuts is, have a friend sit in the car, and hold the brakes down firmly.

The brakes can STOP THE ENTIRE CAR, they can certinally be used to get that axle nut off.

"The Homecoming King"

Saturns Saved: 18

Saturns Owned: 2

1999 SL2 HCE 175K
1994 SL2 HCE 135K
1999 SL2 Silver 125K

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KingRex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KingRex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KingRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy_14 View Post
Thanks for posting this shawn. What size crow foot wrench fits on the flats?
I wish I knew. They're huge. Perhaps the best way to find out would be to go to the auto parts store and ask to look at a replacement inner tie rod end then match it up to a wrench on the shelf.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
kjtyo4
kjtyo4 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL

I did this and it is a 1 7/16 in wrench pretty big.
Kenny

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kjtyo4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kjtyo4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kjtyo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #6
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Thanks! I wondered how the inner TR ends were attached to the steering rack. Now I know.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtyo4 View Post
I did this and it is a [strike]1 7/16 in[/strike] 36mm wrench pretty big.
Fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:16 PM   #8
mr18436572
mr18436572 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Using an inner tie rod tool (if available) makes the job much easier. Dont know if the parts stores rent them out.

2000 SL2 auto - 167k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 161k - sold
1997 SC2 auto - 105k - sold
2000 SC2 auto - 117k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 250k - sold
2001 SC2 5sp - 160k - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr18436572's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr18436572 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #9
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr18436572 View Post
Using an inner tie rod tool (if available) makes the job much easier. Dont know if the parts stores rent them out.
Yes they do. There is a Saginaw attachment that needs to be rented along with it too.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:06 AM   #10
kjtyo4

2000 SL
Happy Re: Replacing the inner tie rods S-Series

I bought a inner tierod tool today. will work with any car it has several diffrent size crows foots for it. The crows foots have little legs one on each side with no square opening where you would put you ext like on the rich pin video. It has a log hollow tube that you put the inner rod in select you foot in this case 1 7/16 in put it over you rod where you put your ***** an the slide the tube up and ithose little legs fit into groves and there is a lock to lock it in to place the you put your 1/2 braker bar or rachet i think on the end and lossen it pretty simple. I got this a carquest paid 80 for it but it be the last touble Ill have ever agina seeing with this has all these diffrent sizes for diffrent cars. I reommend it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kjtyo4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #11
ShawnV
Master Member

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I bought a inner tierod tool today. will work with any car it has several diffrent size crows foots for it. The crows foots have little legs one on each side with no square opening where you would put you ext like on the rich pin video. It has a log hollow tube that you put the inner rod in select you foot in this case 1 7/16 in put it over you rod where you put your ***** an the slide the tube up and ithose little legs fit into groves and there is a lock to lock it in to place the you put your 1/2 braker bar or rachet i think on the end and lossen it pretty simple. I got this a carquest paid 80 for it but it be the last touble Ill have ever agina seeing with this has all these diffrent sizes for diffrent cars. I reommend it
This tool won't work with our inner tie rod ends because the socket is too large for that tube to fit over. I also rented this set when I did mine, only to find out it would not fit.

Let us know if it works for you and take some pics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

/\ good avatar! Family Guy

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #13
kjtyo4

2000 SL

All done where you want the pics at I don't know if the pics on here are still working yet. please let me know
kenny.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #14
kjtyo4

2000 SL

See if you get these This is a carqust brand tool. I did look at the autozone one and the end is smaller as you can see in this one it is alote bigger and with the crows foot it all fits nice as you can see.
Kenny.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (112.9 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (64.5 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (95.3 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 007.jpg (114.9 KB, 194 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #15
ShawnV
Master Member

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

This is excellent to know. Thanks Kenny. The tool I rented was indeed from autozone and was too small.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 PM   #16
ShawnV
Master Member

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
/\ good avatar! Family Guy
ahhh ha ha

I'm glad someone noticed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-14-2010, 01:03 AM   #17
mr18436572
mr18436572 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:
See if you get these This is a carqust brand tool. I did look at the autozone one and the end is smaller as you can see in this one it is alote bigger and with the crows foot it all fits nice as you can see.
Good to know

2000 SL2 auto - 167k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 161k - sold
1997 SC2 auto - 105k - sold
2000 SC2 auto - 117k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 250k - sold
2001 SC2 5sp - 160k - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr18436572's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr18436572 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #18
lil_buddy
Advanced Member
lil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura aboutlil_buddy has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1

I found this to be a very difficult job and could not have done it myself.
I could not get the joint to turn loose with the crow foot wrench.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lil_buddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lil_buddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lil_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
PNO TECH
PNO TECH is on a distinguished road

I did this job yesterday on a 2k SL2, and I would seriously recommend renting the tube-type tool pictured earlier! Because I used to enjoy pretending to be a rally driver on local logging roads, I have replaced way more than my fair share of tie rod ends, but this Saturn (an automatic)was intractable until I borrowed the tool. The way the flats were oriented, there just wasn't room to get my normal hodgepodge of tools on there.
If you try it with just a crows foot, keep in mind that it is loctited from the factory, so you really need to have your breaker bar parallel to the open jaws to have the leverage. Hard to explain in words, but the farther you get away from parallel, the further the actual pivot point moves away from the centerline of the tie rod.
I suppose you could heat it(iirc, Loctite loosens up at around 300*), but I don't know enough about metallurgy to be comfortable doing that to a car someone else drives.
Btw, if you're carefull prying the big inner crimp band, you can re-crimp it with a pair of dull nips.

Good luck!
Scot

"I'm fine with the laws[of gravity]. It's the harsh minimum sentencing guidelines I'm having an issue with." -Darby Conley

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PNO TECH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PNO TECH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PNO TECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #20
Asgaya
Asgaya is on a distinguished road

Question Re: Replacing the inner tie rods S-Series

I guess the one question I have is: Why loosen or remove the axle nut, as seen in the first picture?

The Neighbors Boy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Asgaya's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Asgaya reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Asgaya is offline   Reply With Quote