SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default General Motors Loses Some Fine Cars with Death of Pontiac and Saturn

A new feeditems entry has been added:

General Motors Loses Some Fine Cars with Death of Pontiac and Saturn

Quote:
Scott Burgess from the Detroit News: For years, General Motors has been accused of relying on trucks and not building enough cars. Many say that's why the company is on the verge of bankruptcy right now. So when last week's announcement confirmed what has been percolating for months and the Saturn and Pontiac brands would be killed, it seemed like an oxymoron.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
ChgoBlues
ChgoBlues is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: General Motors Loses Some Fine Cars with Death of Pontiac and Saturn

Scott, you hit the nail right on the head with this article. Will it change things at GM, unfortunately no. It's a scramble right now to survive and as usual, not looking at the overall big picture is what is going to hurt them in the end, again.

08 Astra XR 3 door
Twilight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards

08 Sky Red Line
Midnight Blue/Blk 5-spd
Splash Guards
Opel GT Antenna

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ChgoBlues's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ChgoBlues reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ChgoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
AstraNorth
AstraNorth is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: General Motors Loses Some Fine Cars with Death of Pontiac and Saturn

I for one would love to boycott GM if Saturn dies. The reason I own a Saturn is because I feel other GM cars are not built as well, they are nearly a disposable vehicle. I love my Astra...was really considering buying a Toyota or Mazda after my ION purchase, because I was not seeing a Saturn I wanted...BUT THEN came the Astra....(Opel).

One more thing...I am surprised how many people do not even know what is happening with Saturn...and they own Saturns, they had no idea they may be GONE if they are not sold to someone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

I'm well aware and pretty pissed that GM is tossing out Saturn. It doesn't really make me want to support the company and buy some other GM brand car, since GM itself may be gone by 2011.

Need to get my Saturn serviced and have things like the transmission fluid changed soon. Don't know where I'm going to go for extended maintenance once my dealership is gone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChgoBlues View Post
Scott, you hit the nail right on the head with this article. Will it change things at GM, unfortunately no. It's a scramble right now to survive and as usual, not looking at the overall big picture is what is going to hurt them in the end, again.
I totally agree. The author sums up the sad situation for both Pontiac and Saturn. I have not really liked anything Pontiac has built for basically my entire life (and I'm 30!), until the Solstice, G6, and G8. I helped convince a friend to buy a G6 over an import, and then 2 years later, she returned that one (leased) and got a Solstice! Saturn, likewise, is being shipped off when it has the best lineup it has ever had, but with a brand with so little real car history, that's honestly not saying much. Don't get me wrong, I think the S-cars were good, for their time, but they didn't innovate much in their VERY long lifespan. The polymer Vue, I still love mine. The new Vue, meh, it's ok, but it doesn't speak to me the same way, but it is more "competitive" in the marketplace (meaning that it's more like everything else out there). Unfortunately, trying to beat them at their own game is a hard battle... Astra and Aura and Sky, all segment leading, IMHO. However, I think Ford's new Focus and Fiesta will kill the Astra.

With Penske taking over, and eventually rebranding Chinese imports as Saturns, the brand is dead to me. I would still recommend friends check out what they've got now, and through 2010, but once any new models are put in place, I'd have a hard time telling anyone I know to even give them a look, especially if the new models are not American cars, but that's just me. Saturn was born to be the import fighter brand with US-made and engineered cars... If Penske turns it into an outlet for Chinese crapwagons, then he deserves to be banished to China!

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Dante, this is an old article. You should go to the Saturn Fans home page and read up on th enew news. Saturn has been bought out by the Penske Auto Group and Lives On!

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

My favorite GM brands were Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Buick when I was growing up and then added Saturn to the list when it came out. First Oldsmobile was killed off, now Pontiac...at least Saturn is escaping the GM choke hold with it's life.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:10 PM   #8
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

I am kind of pissed that the G8 is going away, one of the best GM performance sedans to come out under $35K.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-seriesguy View Post
I am kind of pissed that the G8 is going away, one of the best GM performance sedans to come out under $35K.
I am too. I really want a G8, but they are too far out of my price range. Maybe I'll be able to pick up a used one some day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
GB1
GB1 is on a distinguished road

I for one think the sale of Saturn to Penske is one of the best possible scenarios, given the circumstances. At least it won't be sold to some capital management company that doesn't know a thing about the automotive industry.

What people have to realize is that Saturn under GM has been losing money for the last X number of years. When something isn't working you change it. Now, let's see what Penske does.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GB1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GB1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I'm not pissed at GM, no not at SATURN, nope I'm not pissed at Roger, but my next car will be a Cobalt SS .... unless BUICK gets something in the size I like.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #12
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
I'm not pissed at GM, no not at SATURN, nope I'm not pissed at Roger, but my next car will be a Cobalt SS .... unless BUICK gets something in the size I like.
If you are making a reference to Roger Smith...he Started Saturn and has been gone for a couple of years now (as in R.I.P).

The upper level mismanagement that was Rick Wagoner, Fritz Henderson, and Bob Lutz...none of which ever liked Saturn to begin with...are the ones that are responsible for Saturn's downfall...if you can lay blame on any one group of narrowminded wanna-be executives.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #13
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Buick could get a fancy version of the Cruze.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
mikec
mikec will become famous soon enough

The Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix (also called the Pontoda Vibrix) was a very good, very functional vehicle. Good gas mileage, a hatch to haul stuff with, roof rails (now optional) to haul more stuff with and available all wheel drive. It has a lower cost of ownership than my Vue and can do just about anything that the Vue can. I almost wish I had gotten it instead of my Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #15
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
The Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix (also called the Pontoda Vibrix) was a very good, very functional vehicle. Good gas mileage, a hatch to haul stuff with, roof rails (now optional) to haul more stuff with and available all wheel drive. It has a lower cost of ownership than my Vue and can do just about anything that the Vue can. I almost wish I had gotten it instead of my Vue.
The Matrix/Vibe is a pretty small car. The VUE has a lot more room. The Vibrix is great if you're alone but cramped if two or more are together. It's worse if the driver/passengers are big.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:43 AM   #16
RicksVue
RicksVue is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Buick is getting the Astra. I bet you'd love one of those!

-Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RicksVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RicksVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RicksVue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #17
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
If you want a new SS now is the time to get one since they are done after the 2010 year. The SS sedan will be done after this model year

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #18
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

Quote:
but my next car will be a Cobalt SS
Call your insurance agent first. They are now on the top-10 list for most expensive to insure. Seems that they get wrecked as fast as they can sell them.

article

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:11 AM   #19
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksVue View Post
Is this still the case? If so, that's good news for us Astra owners (available parts).

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #20
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicksVue View Post
IMO not a good idea... The Astra is a really good car, but not for Buick...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote