SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Default Cracked windscreen

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd spread the info. Discovered a nick on my windscreen Monday, which expanded into a 20 inch crack by Tuesday. I have to get this replaced asap.

One observation: the O7 XE Aura has 'acoustical' glass. I knew that (I thought it was triple-layer but ). Some shops apparently don't. Specify if you ever are in my situation.

Three questions:

Has anybody out there replaced an 07 XE windscreen and how did that go ?

Any problems after ?

I got three quotes on this and the best price, by far, was from my Chevy dealership. Has anybody noticed that former Saturn dealers are trying to get rid of their inventory ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #2
plattsr
plattsr is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Sad Re: Cracked windscreen

I read this post a couple days ago, and as luck would have it, a rock hit my windshield today. After parking at the movie theater, I came back out to my car and the new 10" crack that was not there when i parked.

Looks like I will be going to get the window replaced now also. Michel1961, I have 2 questions:

1. Can you post the prices you were quoted to replace the window?

2. Can I opt to have the little tint placed across the top of the window? I notice they are not doing this in new GM vehicles, i never noticed how helpful it was when the sun is in your eyes.

My friend had the windshield replaced on his 2007 maxima. After replacement, his window leaked, it was eventually fixed, but im guessing he would have been better off getting the dealer to install it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plattsr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plattsr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plattsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: Cracked windscreen

Glass replacement is covered 100% in the state my car is insured in. I need a new sheet of glass almost yearly, and only use one person to do the install.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
Oldengineer
Oldengineer is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I had Safetylite replace the windshield in a 03 Jaguar X-Type I used to own. They did a beautiful job. Then, I had the local Jag dealer replace a windshield in my 06 Jag. - They made a mess out of it - the window trim wouldn't stay on.

Regards:
Oldengineer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Oldengineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Oldengineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Oldengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsr View Post
I read this post a couple days ago, and as luck would have it, a rock hit my windshield today. After parking at the movie theater, I came back out to my car and the new 10" crack that was not there when i parked.

Looks like I will be going to get the window replaced now also. Michel1961, I have 2 questions:

1. Can you post the prices you were quoted to replace the window?

2. Can I opt to have the little tint placed across the top of the window? I notice they are not doing this in new GM vehicles, i never noticed how helpful it was when the sun is in your eyes.

My friend had the windshield replaced on his 2007 maxima. After replacement, his window leaked, it was eventually fixed, but im guessing he would have been better off getting the dealer to install it.
1. I was quoted 895$ CAN by two independents and 595$ by my Chev dealer. I'm going with the dealer. It's a lease so I do not want any arguments at the end. I'm also 100% assured I'm getting the original acoustical windscreen brand new, not some third-party part. If it leaks, they'll see a lot of me !

2. I would assume that little tint comes with the original part.

As for insurance (other posts), I decided to forgo as we claimed for a rear bumper a week before and it could have impacted my rates. The bumper was the most expensive repair, by far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

When this whole acoustic laminated vs non-acoustic laminated flap was discussed ad-nausium here about a year ago when Saturn dropped the "acoustic laminated" windshields in May 2008, I discussed with my dealer who referred me to the parts department. They verified that the stock number for ALL GM Saturn replacement windshield glass is the "old" stocknumber - which is the "triple-laminated acoustic safety glass". So, if you want to make sure you get the "quiet" glass and your insurance company is paying the tab, I would personally have your Saturn dealer do the work or at the least make sure the company that is doing the work assures you are getting the "quiet acoustic laminated" Saturn glass or a verified acoustic replacement. Please report back on your results. I have one small 1/8" diameter "star" in my Aura windshield and it has not cracked or grown. In my state (Wisconsin), replacement glass is not included in your auto insurance unless you pay extra for it. The quote from my insurance company (State Farm) is $100/car/year. With (4) cars, I passed on the insurance. So any replacement will be on my dime and I am not looking forward to it. Best luck.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #7
svenster
svenster is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWCarcrazy View Post
When this whole acoustic laminated vs non-acoustic laminated flap was discussed ad-nausium here about a year ago when Saturn dropped the "acoustic laminated" windshields in May 2008, I discussed with my dealer who referred me to the parts department. They verified that the stock number for ALL GM Saturn replacement windshield glass is the "old" stocknumber - which is the "triple-laminated acoustic safety glass". So, if you want to make sure you get the "quiet" glass and your insurance company is paying the tab, I would personally have your Saturn dealer do the work or at the least make sure the company that is doing the work assures you are getting the "quiet acoustic laminated" Saturn glass or a verified acoustic replacement. Please report back on your results. I have one small 1/8" diameter "star" in my Aura windshield and it has not cracked or grown. In my state (Wisconsin), replacement glass is not included in your auto insurance unless you pay extra for it. The quote from my insurance company (State Farm) is $100/car/year. With (4) cars, I passed on the insurance. So any replacement will be on my dime and I am not looking forward to it. Best luck.
If you have a 1/8" star Id just have it filled. Ive done it numerous time on all my cars and you cant even notice where the star was when its done. Dont do the do it yourself filler but get it done at a glass shop. it will be less than $100.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svenster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svenster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #8
plattsr
plattsr is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I was quoted $300 US to replace the window at the local Chevy dealer. They verified it is acoustic laminated. Also, there is no coverage for window damage in my state. I have to pay deductible like any other repair. Will be going in sometime later this week for repair.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plattsr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plattsr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plattsr is offline   Reply With Quote