SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #1
edgillen
edgillen is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
Default 99 SC2 Speedometer not working

Speedometer not working
Coolant light flashing
Service engine light on

Codes P0108, P0125, P0415 P0500

Replaced the ECTS and connector -
Topped the colant to normal level
Cleared codes
Drove it on the freeway a few miles
Service engine light off (for now?)
Seems to run fine
Temp gauge betweek 1/4 and 1/2

Speedometer not working
Coolant light flashing
HELP ANYONE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edgillen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edgillen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edgillen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
beermonkey
beermonkey is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1
Default Re: 99 SC2 Speedometer not working

the speedo isnt werking because theres a gear in there thats lost a tooth and needs to be replaced. search for SPEEDOMETER GEAR and theres a thread on it. i had to replace mine, wasnt too hard but its annoying.

1994 SL1 - R.I.P.
1997 SL2 - sold :)
1978 El Camino - still fixing...
1999 I30t - daily driver
2007 Cag Daytona - fixing
"Gimmie a Pickle jar, I'll open that B***h up like a MotherF**ker!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beermonkey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beermonkey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermonkey View Post
the speedo isnt werking because theres a gear in there thats lost a tooth and needs to be replaced. search for SPEEDOMETER GEAR and theres a thread on it. i had to replace mine, wasnt too hard but its annoying.
Um, NO. There is NO "speedometer gear".

Automatic or manual tranny? If an automatic, is it shifting normally? If a manual, try this: sit in the driveway with the engine running and floor the throttle. You'll notice the engine RPMs "bounce off the ceiling" at about 4000-4200 RPM, and it won't go any faster. That's normal. Now, take it up to speed at a place you can coast safely for a bit, push in the clutch, and while coasting, floor the throttle again. See if it bounces off 4000-ish RPM again, or will wind out up to 5000 or more. If the former, suspect your VSS (vehicle speed sensor, on the tranny), or the connection to it. If the latter, it's either the wiring from the PCM to the speedo head, or the speedo head itself.

Coolant light - if you're SURE the reservoir is full (at the seam) and it's still flashing, the float is stuck. Drain enough coolant into a clean vessel to empty the reservoir. Remove it and wash it out with something low-suds (automatic dishwasher detergent is a favorite). Rinse; you should now actually hear the float rattling in there as you shake or turn the tank. Reinstall, pour the coolant back in (thus the "clean vessel"). Light should go off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #4
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermonkey View Post
You are confusing the odometer and the speedometer, though a '99 has a digital odometer, so it doesn't have a gear there either.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
edgillen

1999 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: 99 SC2 Speedometer not working

It is a manual....
I will try that tomorrow..
SEL on again, P0500, so it is probably the VSS or wiring

I suspect the later...my son crashed this car a month ago and dented the fender and frame near the fuse box knock a couple of the relays off (since replaced)..still waiting to see if the insurance is going to pay.

Although the car seems to run Ok...idle seems to be a bit uneven..1200 then down 800rpm at start up...my test drive on the freeway, felt loss of acceleration(and as I recall it did not tach over 4000)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help edgillen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
edgillen

1999 SC2

Cleaned the radiator reserivoir.....Then decided to check all the fuses...B/U fuse was bad, turns out this is also the fuse for the coolant temp switch..This problem solved

Took the test drive as suggested...When coasting, clutch in, the engine will not rev over 4200RPM>..time to find the VSS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
edgillen

1999 SC2

Bad wiring due to accident -- should have check this first...spliced 4 wires..seems to be fine...speedo working

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Dented the fender?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
edgillen

1999 SC2

Ok Dent maybe have been the incorrect word, more like turned into chunks of plastic(fiberglass?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!