SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
AmandaL
AmandaL is on a distinguished road

Default Transmission swap?

I have a 99 SL1 with a bad transmission and ive found a 93 Saturn(not sure on model). My bad transmission id a single overhead cam and the new one is a double over head cam. can i swap the two out and it still work? Any help here would be great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AmandaL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AmandaL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AmandaL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Transmission swap?

Bolt up, yes.

Function, yes if its a manual, no if its an automatic. And if its a manual, it will function, just not well.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
AmandaL
AmandaL is on a distinguished road

Its Auto.What if swapped the engines too? would it work then? My trans has a crack in it. Ive found the 93 saturn for 300 for the whole thing so......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AmandaL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AmandaL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AmandaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaL View Post
Its Auto.What if swapped the engines too? would it work then? My trans has a crack in it. Ive found the 93 saturn for 300 for the whole thing so......
No, it won't work. The PCM for the '99 can't operate an auto trans from a '93 (and vice versa), and you can't just swap PCMs between those years. It just won't work.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

if you swapped the whole engine, the trans and the pcm it would work.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
if you swapped the whole engine, the trans and the pcm it would work.
You can't put a 93 PCM in a 99.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
Leafy

1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
You can't put a 93 PCM in a 99.
besides being emissions illegal why else not? it wont agree with the bcm?

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
besides being emissions illegal why else not? it wont agree with the bcm?
99 doesnt have a BCM. The 93 PCM will physically not plug in. The wiring schematics, connector faces and electronics are totally different. And thats just one of the several reasons a 1993 DOHC wont drop into a 99. Many other parts from later models will be needed to suscessfully complete the swap. Intake manifold, fuel injectors, EGR valve, fuel rail just to name a few.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
Leafy

1994 SL2

thats why I said whole engine, but i guess you'd have to add fuel system and wiring harness. ok so its a pain in the ass, but its possible.

2002 Chevy Cavalier SS

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #10
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Anything is possible if you have enough time, guts, and money.

Me, if I were going to pull something like that I wouldn't stop with another Saturn engine. While you're busy swapping out every moving part in the vehicle you may as well but something bigger and with more turbo in there.

'12 Subaru Impreza manual, hatchback, silver.
'99 Chevy Silverado 1500, automatic, with pixel camo. For the [i]discerning[/i] redneck gentleman.
Used to have a '02 SL2 automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #11
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
thats why I said whole engine, but i guess you'd have to add fuel system and wiring harness. ok so its a pain in the ass, but its possible.
Sometimes you need to recognize when you don't really know what you're talking about on a subject and just not comment. The wiring is completely different between a 99 and a 93. The only way it could technically be made to work is if you swapped the entire drivetrain, wiring system, fuel system, and likely a good handful of switches.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
The only way it could technically be made to work is if you swapped the entire drivetrain, wiring system, fuel system, and likely a good handful of switches.
The oil pressure switch, the knock sensor and anything else other then the CPS is different on the backside of the engine '93-'97. Fuel rail is different, have to use intake manifold that goes with the fuel rail that will work in the generation its going into. And, the only way to get a properly functioning EGR valve that I know of is to go '93 -> later not later -> '93 as they only made the adapter one way. I haven't taken the old EGR off my '93 engine to see whats different on the installed '97 but I will at some point.

Autotragics just plain suck for swapping. 2nd gens kinda suck for swapping 5spds, but only if you want cruise control to work.

FWIW My '93 has a '97 engine, '97 transmission (used to have a '94 but changed it again when I changed engines), '94 PCM and '93 ABS axles. Everything works except the EGR valve so far, well traction control doesn't work but the 5spd PCM's don't know about it until '95.

My collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing" (copy & paste between quotes)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote