SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
bshoop13
bshoop13 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Throttle body cleaning

I have a 2002 saturn sl1 that im gonna be taking the throttle body off of soon to give her a good cleaning and for some reason I am having a problem finding the right gasket for it. Been to 3 places so far including the saturn dealer and got 3 different gaskets that dont look like they will fit at all. Does anyone have a picture or a dealer part number of the right gasket. Thanx in advance for any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bshoop13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bshoop13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bshoop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is on a distinguished road

1997 SL
Default Re: Throttle body cleaning

Check rockauto.com for photo and gasket---
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...?a=G-autoparts

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Just a heads up, you can usually reuse the gasket. Might not be bad to replace it the first time, as it's got some age/miles on it, but no need to replace it every time you remove the tb.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
WellsWebDesign
WellsWebDesign is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I just removed and cleaned my throttle body this weekend. 99 SL2, 130k miles. I'm the original owner, and have never cleaned the throttle body (shame on me). My gasket looked great, I was careful in removing the throttle body, and was able to reuse the gasket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg throttle_body_before_and_after.jpg (174.4 KB, 69 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WellsWebDesign's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WellsWebDesign reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WellsWebDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
Just a heads up, you can usually reuse the gasket. Might not be bad to replace it the first time, as it's got some age/miles on it, but no need to replace it every time you remove the tb.
OldNuc's Corollary to Murphy's Law states that you will only be able to reuse the gasket if you have a spare one on hand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
azrocketman
azrocketman is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellsWebDesign View Post
I just removed and cleaned my throttle body this weekend. 99 SL2, 130k miles. I'm the original owner, and have never cleaned the throttle body (shame on me). My gasket looked great, I was careful in removing the throttle body, and was able to reuse the gasket.
I'm going to be the devil's advocate here. The first picture showed a coating of carbon on the throttle body. The second showed a clean throttle body. In reality, for the amount of debris shown, why bother cleaning the throttle body? Was there a problem? Did gas mileage improve? Did emissions go down? Did the engine run "better"? This seems to be a violation of the "If it works, don't fix it philosophy".

Steve

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to azrocketman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help azrocketman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
azrocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
bshoop13
bshoop13 is on a distinguished road

I wanted to replace the gasket because it looks alittle dark on the top by the gasket, almost like its bad and is suckiing air in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bshoop13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bshoop13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bshoop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
WellsWebDesign
WellsWebDesign is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrocketman View Post
I'm going to be the devil's advocate here. The first picture showed a coating of carbon on the throttle body. The second showed a clean throttle body. In reality, for the amount of debris shown, why bother cleaning the throttle body? Was there a problem? Did gas mileage improve? Did emissions go down? Did the engine run "better"? This seems to be a violation of the "If it works, don't fix it philosophy".

Steve
It was your basic before and after picture... I've had a very sticky throttle for about a year or two now. Through these forums, I learned that it was likely due to carbon buildup. After cleaning the throttle body, it no longer sticks, and has been very smooth. I haven't driven enough to tell if gas mileage went up, but it seems like it. Also, the car seems to accelerate a little faster. I cleaned it because I already had the air intake and battery out to replace the ECTS and figured why not? Not sure if it's related, but I was constantly being plagued by P0133 o2 sensor codes, which has not happened since then, granted it has only been 4 days.

"If it works, don't fix it" isn't always sound advice. If I can spend an hour and about $1 for cleaner to hopefully prevent a future problem (always at an inconvenient time), I think that's good advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WellsWebDesign's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WellsWebDesign reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WellsWebDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
"If it works, don't fix it" isn't always sound advice. If I can spend an hour and about $1 for cleaner to hopefully prevent a future problem (always at an inconvenient time), I think that's good advice.
True dat

There's a reason it's called "preventative maintenance"

My shifter bushing works fine, but it's getting replaced in the next few weeks anyway. Third corollary to Murphy's says the bushing will break on the way home tonight

Fourth says that is someone picks up my old bushing and reuses it, it will turn out to be the one indestructible bushing Saturn made...

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #10
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrocketman View Post

Steve
It's simply maintenance on these cars. Not cleaning the throttlebody leads to a sticking throttle pedal and idle issues. It's a piece of cake to clean, and prevents headaches. So it's more of a "if it works, just wait and do nothing, and it'll give you issues later" kind of thing. And the idle issues a dirty tb can cause can cause fuel economy issues, so it's worthwhile in economic terms, too.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I will be another devils advocate. I have never removed my throttle body. Just cleaned it on the car. I have a silky smooth idle. It is a regular maintenance item. If I had problems with the idle air control valve then I would remove it. So, my recommendation is clean it without removing it. If that does not get the needed results, remove it and clean it.

I doubt any dealer or repair shop will remove it to clean it.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #12
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

On my '02 DOHC, removing the throttle body to clean is easy, but annoying. Two of the four bolts require using a long socket extension, and the other two require a shorter one so you don't hit the underside of the hood. And all of it requires leaning over to the geometrically placed hardest to reach location in your engine bay.

On the plus side, the gasket on mine is a charming shade of neon orange and seems quite resillient. It's survived two or three cleaning jobs (that I can remember, anyway) without incident.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #13
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 will become famous soon enoughTXSaturn02 will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I have never removed my throttle body. Just cleaned it on the car. I have a silky smooth idle. It is a regular maintenance item. If I had problems with the idle air control valve then I would remove it. So, my recommendation is clean it without removing it. If that does not get the needed results, remove it and clean it.
BTW, that is the recommendation of the legendary Wolfman as well...

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 10/14/14: 196,411 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 10/14/14: 11,704 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #14
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

I've done a bunch of throttle body cleanings and always used the old gaskets without issues until this past weekend. When I reused the old gaskets on two this weekend both failed and with 3,000 + rpms you know you have a problem. You just never know.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
holly christ! i'm surprised your throttle actually wasn't stuck closed! that things DIRTY!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #16
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I will be another devils advocate. I have never removed my throttle body. Just cleaned it on the car. I have a silky smooth idle. It is a regular maintenance item. If I had problems with the idle air control valve then I would remove it. So, my recommendation is clean it without removing it. If that does not get the needed results, remove it and clean it.

I doubt any dealer or repair shop will remove it to clean it.
that's what i also do. i just spray some carb cleaner down it & scrub around with a tooth brush. especially where the throttle valve opens & closes. that's where it sticks. then wait a little while while the spray cleaner evaporates then the car runs fine...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote