SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
SalemCat
SalemCat is on a distinguished road

Default Brake Pad Wear Sensor - Up or Down ??

Do the Wear Sensors go on the Leading Edge of the Pads (Up), or on the Trailing Edge (Down) ?

Alldata explains they should be Up (Leading Edge),

then in the very next picture shows them Down (Trailing Edge).

I am confused.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SalemCat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SalemCat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SalemCat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Default Re: Brake Pad Wear Sensor - Up or Down ??

They go up in the S-series front brakes.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
SalemCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
They go up in the S-series front brakes.
Thanks ssicarman !

That's how I installed them.

But do you agree AllData shows them installed Down in the second pic ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SalemCat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Yes second picture is not right.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Spaz
Advanced Member
Spaz will become famous soon enoughSpaz will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

They are installed down in the second picture. The descriptions are backwards though. "Up" is considered the trailing edge of the caliper. There was a thread regarding this not too long ago. One poster said it doesn't matter, the rest of the posters said the sensors should go up, on the trailing edge of the caliper. All the disc pads that I have come across installed by the factory had the wear indicators installed in the trailing edge position. If only two pads come with the wear indicators (one per side) the pad with the indicator is installed in the inboard position. This is the pad that normally wears the quickest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
They are installed down in the second picture. The descriptions are backwards though. "Up" is considered the trailing edge of the caliper. There was a thread regarding this not too long ago. One poster said it doesn't matter, the rest of the posters said the sensors should go up, on the trailing edge of the caliper. All the disc pads that I have come across installed by the factory had the wear indicators installed in the trailing edge position. If only two pads come with the wear indicators (one per side) the pad with the indicator is installed in the inboard position. This is the pad that normally wears the quickest.
That was me The entire pad touches the rotor. However I agree that if only one pad had the sensor it should go on the inside.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
SalemCat

Yes, I see. Up is the Trailing Edge.

Before this I figured if you put a mark on the Rotor, and then rotated it as if the car was travelling forward, the mark would reach the Sensor first, hence the Sensor would lead. But that is wrong.

I'm not sure why Up is called the Trailing Edge. Perhaps I'd better quit trying to figure that out, and just remember to install the pads with the Sensor Up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2009, 01:45 PM   #8
SalemCat

Ok, it's a little convoluted, but if you put a mark on the Rotor, then turn it, the first thing it hits is the Sensor. Hence the Sensor leads to the Rotor.

But we're not talking out the Rotor, we're talking about the Pads. It the Pads are rotating, which they are relative to the Rotor, the Sensor is on the Pad's Trailing Edge.

Hence the Sensor is on the Pad's Trailing Edge (whew).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2009, 01:55 PM   #9
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

The illustration is misleading. The caliper is postioned perpendicular to the ground in it. In reality, the top of the caliper is canted to the rear. This puts the bottom of the caliper more towards the front of the vehicle, thus making it the leading edge, and the top, the trailing edge. (Unless you drive in reverse all the time!)

Last edited by Spaz; 09-07-2009 at 02:06 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:16 PM   #10
SalemCat

Quote:
The illustration is misleading. The caliper is postioned perpendicular to the ground in it. In reality, the top of the caliper is canted to the rear. This puts the bottom of the caliper more towards the front of the vehicle, thus making it the leading edge, and the top, the trailing edge. (Unless you drive in reverse all the time!)
The Leading and Trailing refers to the Vehicle itself. This is a good way to remember it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

I see your line of reasoning. Don't make your head explode. The leading and trailing edges aren't determined by the the rotational direction of anything in this case. It just refers to the position of the item. The area that is most towards the front is the leading edge, and towards the rear, the trailing edge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Old 09-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #12
mnementh
mnementh will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 SL1

The reason for this confusion is this:

Some cars mount the calipers forward of the axle, some mount them behind. This makes no difference in terms of rotational action; the leading edge is ALWAYS that edge which, if a mark were made ON THE ROTOR, would meet that mark first when the vehicle is rolling forwards, while the trailing edge is always that edge it would pass last.

Let's look at a car from the driver's side; rolling forward, the rotor is turning COUNTER-CLOCKWISE. This means that if the calipers are mounted on the REAR side (BEHIND the axle), the BOTTOM edge is the leading edge, while the top edge is the trailing edge. If the calipers are mounted on the FRONT (AHEAD OF the axle), then the top edge is the LEADING EDGE, and the BOTTOM edge is the trailing edge.

Now here is the fun part; while it has held for AGES that the correct place for the wear indicator/squealer IS on the trailing edge, and in MOST cases this IS TRUE; not ALL manufacturers build their cars this way.

When I worked in the Dodge Garage, we had certain models (I believe they were all Mitsubishi imports, bu they could have included the US K-cars... it's been a long time) where the squealer HAD TO GO on the leading edge, or it would bind up between the caliper and the pad recesses. The BEST PART? They had the SAME EXACT DIAGRAM you posted above IN THE FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL.

Another thing I've run into is... ALL 4 pads IDENTICAL, with the squealer on the same corner. You don't get a choice there, bub.

mnem
Stop. No really... STOP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mnementh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mnementh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #13
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
That was me The entire pad touches the rotor.
I agree that the entire pad contacts the rotor, but they don't necessarily wear uniformly across the pad. During my last front disc pad change, I noticed that the pad was worn down more on the trailing end. I've found this to be the case on other vehicles as well during my time as a tech.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Old 09-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #14
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
I agree that the entire pad contacts the rotor, but they don't necessarily wear uniformly across the pad. During my last front disc pad change, I noticed that the pad was worn down more on the trailing end. I've found this to be the case on other vehicles as well during my time as a tech.
Then there is something Majorly wrong. The pad sits flat in the cradle. The entire pad should contact the rotor at the exact same pad as there is even force across it. You should see no angle in pad wear across the material. Now pad to pad is a different story.

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #15
mnementh
mnementh will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 SL1

Yeah - spaz is right. some SMALL variation from edge to edge is normal... but any more than just enough to tell is evidence of something faulty.

If the pad tapers along the leading edge-trailing edge axis, it usually indicates issues with the caliper; a damaged piston can cause this, as well as a binding slider bolt. If it tapers along the perpendicular axis, this is usually brake hardware - sliders, bolts or shim spacers - that are SUPPOSED to keep the caliper square with the rotor.

mnem
Oh, somebody STOP ME...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mnementh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mnementh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:33 PM   #16
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnementh View Post
Yeah - spaz is right. some SMALL variation from edge to edge is normal... but any more than just enough to tell is evidence of something faulty.
That is the case. The variation is just enough so that you can see it. I agree that anything more than that would indicate a problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Old 09-07-2009, 05:37 PM   #17
SalemCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnementh View Post
Some cars mount the calipers forward of the axle, some mount them behind. This makes no difference in terms of rotational action; the leading edge is ALWAYS that edge which, if a mark were made ON THE ROTOR, would meet that mark first when the vehicle is rolling forwards, while the trailing edge is always that edge it would pass last.
Arrghhh !!

Then I placed the Wear Sensors on the Leading Edge, which is Up on the SW2 Front Discs.

This is obviously a source of disagreement among even the experts. Heck, even AllData has it shown both ways for the SW2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #18
SalemCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemCat View Post
Ok, it's a little convoluted, but if you put a mark on the Rotor, then turn it, the first thing it hits is the Sensor. Hence the Sensor leads to the Rotor.

But we're not talking out the Rotor, we're talking about the Pads. It the Pads are rotating, which they are relative to the Rotor, the Sensor is on the Pad's Trailing Edge.

Hence the Sensor is on the Pad's Trailing Edge (whew).
I wrote this post earlier. I must admit it makes no sense at all to me now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #19
Spaz
Advanced Member

1998 SL2

Don't drive yourself crazy overthinking this. Whether you call it the leading edge or the trailing edge, the general consensus is to have the wear indicators at the top of the caliper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaz's Reputation
Old 09-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #20
SalemCat

Quote:
Don't drive yourself crazy overthinking this. Whether you call it the leading edge or the trailing edge, the general consensus is to have the wear indicators at the top of the caliper.
Does this apply to the Rear Brakes of the SW2 as well ? For that matter, will they be Disc Brakes on a SW2 DOHC ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!