SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Support Forum for Canadian Saturn Owners
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Harry
Advanced Member
Harry is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Post Leggat Saturn (Burlington) also to remain open

I got an email today from the owner of the dealership where I originally bought my car. Interestingly they include Opel in their letter (My LW200 is really an Opel Vectra wagon for the most part). Like London I wonder how they can do they when GM Canada is essentially telling them they have until December 31st to shut down but who knows:

Dear Valued Customer

LEGGAT SATURN SAAB IN HERE FOR YOU!

General Motors has recently announced that the purchase of the Saturn brand by the Penske Auto Group will not include the Saturn Retailers in Canada.

What does this mean to you, our valued Leggat Saturn Saab customer?

We want you to know we have made the decision to remain open at our current location at 814 Guelph Line, Burlington after the announced Saturn end date in Canada of December 31, 2009, so that we can fully look after your service requirements. Whether you have warranty needs, maintenance completed or general repairs done on your vehicle you can be confident that you will be receiving the same great service from the same great people that you are accustomed to!

Also, we want you to know that it is our intention to continue with both the sales of new Saturn/Saab/Opel products until our current inventory is sold and provide full service and parts operations for all Saturn/Saab/Opel products.

The Leggat family were one of the first Canadian Retailers awarded the Saturn Saab franchise in 1991 and over the years have had the privilege of meeting and earning the business of many wonderful people. We understand the importance of providing you with a Saturn experience when you arrive here at Leggat Saturn Saab and it is essential that the faces of all our Saturn team and the hours of operation will remain the same to assist you with all your sales, service and parts needs.

Please continue to contact us via email at info@leggatsaturn.com or by calling us at 905-632-6444 to make an appointment for both sales and service.

As always, I look forward to hearing from you and seeing you in our drive thru or showroom.

Sincerely,

Doug Leggat
President
Leggat Saturn Saab
814 Guelph Line
Burlington, Ontario
L7R 3N6
dleggat (at) leggatautogroup (dot) com

(email address changed to protect him from spam, even though they sort of sent me spam today with this notice...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
01SuperCoupe
01SuperCoupe is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2009 Astra XR
Default Re: Leggat Saturn (Burlington) also to remain open

Harry, on the surface that sounds wonderful...Problem is that it won't fly.
Saturn Canada is done on Dec. 31st and there's nothing that Doug Leggat can do about it. GM/Penske will likely ask him once, nicely to close his doors by reminding him that he no longer has a franchise. if he refuses to close I'm willing to bet that they will take any legal action they feel necessary to force him to close. I haven't read anything as of yet that says whether GM has unloaded Saab, or not. That will be Leggat's only hope to stay in business assuming that the General hasn't already yanked his Saab franchise.

I love a rebel, but rebels seldom succeed against something as mighty as The General.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 01SuperCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 01SuperCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
01SuperCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #3
Harry
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Not sure if it is a 100% done deal or not but GM's Saab division has been sold to Koneiggsegg (sp?) in Sweden if I'm not mistaken. Not sure whether they intend to sell Saabs here.

Opel from Magna, a Canadian company? Who knows?

Is GM going to buy back the old cars and parts inventory? Leggat owns a Chev (Buick, Caddy, etc.) plus Ford (and Mazda), Acura, and Toyota dealerships of all things. See http://www.lag.ca/locations.aspx -- its a big dealership family so even if GM pulls their franchise and makes them take their sign down they can probably sell Saturn parts from their Chev dealership next door to the Saturn one and maybe the cars too if they're allowed to keep the inventory.

That said, am I buying new Saturns or other GM cars? Um, no... not if I can help it. Just no confidence in them right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Harry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
cam
cam is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Not sure if it is a 100% done deal or not but GM's Saab division has been sold to Koneiggsegg (sp?) in Sweden if I'm not mistaken. Not sure whether they intend to sell Saabs here.

Opel from Magna, a Canadian company? Who knows?

Is GM going to buy back the old cars and parts inventory? Leggat owns a Chev (Buick, Caddy, etc.) plus Ford (and Mazda), Acura, and Toyota dealerships of all things. See http://www.lag.ca/locations.aspx -- its a big dealership family so even if GM pulls their franchise and makes them take their sign down they can probably sell Saturn parts from their Chev dealership next door to the Saturn one and maybe the cars too if they're allowed to keep the inventory.

That said, am I buying new Saturns or other GM cars? Um, no... not if I can help it. Just no confidence in them right now.
The way I see it is that you should consider yourselves lucky, if in fact the franchisee owns more that one dealership. Especially if he owns a Chev dealership nearby as many of the GM parts are commonly shared. There are many smaller towns and/or cities out there that won't have this option and people may have quite a hike to an alternate dealership.
I guess what it boils down to is the old proverbial crystal ball syndrome. If you had known that Saturn was going to cease to exist, would you have purchased one? In spite of my reasoning to purchase several over the last decade or so because of the original polymer panels, I think I would still have been hard pressed not to, especially if there was and is going to be continued tech support.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
01SuperCoupe
01SuperCoupe is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2009 Astra XR

I guess I'll let you know how it goes...My wife and I just bought a new '09 Astra XE 5-door from a dealer that we knew was only going to be open for another week. We got a heck of a deal (for Canada, anyway) on the car, and we figured since it was made in Europe it was probably better put together that a re-badged GM clone made closer to home.

We're already doing better than the '07 Ion that we had...It was in the shop for 2 days when it had 477 km on the odometer. The Astra now has 700 kms on it and hasn't been to the shop yet! LOL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 01SuperCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 01SuperCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
01SuperCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
nakman
nakman is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 3.5L

I suspect GM is making arrangements with the dealerships that makes sense to remain open and sell off what's left of the remaining stock with full GM backed warrenties. Probably making some arrangements with dealerships with smaller inventory stocks that can be moved to other dealerships that are running low and is being supported by GM to stay open)

It's probably easier to let a dealership keep the franchise branded as Saturn in certain markets instead of arranging to have a Chev/Buick Dealer take over the servicing of Saturns. If the dealer has more than one GM dealership selling various brands. i.e. Caddy/Hummer or Buick/Chev etc, GM Head Office is probably working with these guys to make something work.

Once there is no longer any more stock to sell, then we'll see what the renegade "Saturn" branded dealers are going to do.

2007 VUE FWD 3.5L, Storm Grey
2008 Honda Accord, 2.4l, auto, Black
(Pic is the 03 VUE, 4 banger, 5 spd, gone but not forgotten)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nakman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nakman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

This is great news. I bought my ION from Leggat Saturn, and though I did not buy my Vue from them, I can vouch that they are a great dealership. I suspect once Dec 31st comes around, they will probably focus on the sale of used cars, and service of many makes and models, not just saturns.

I wish them the best of luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
Harry
Advanced Member

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam View Post
I guess what it boils down to is the old proverbial crystal ball syndrome. If you had known that Saturn was going to cease to exist, would you have purchased one? In spite of my reasoning to purchase several over the last decade or so because of the original polymer panels, I think I would still have been hard pressed not to, especially if there was and is going to be continued tech support.
At the time when shopping for 2001 cars it didn't occur to me that Saturn would go away soon but I knew it was a niche car. Actually, that appealed to me, buying something that wasn't like every other car out there. OMG, I bought the marketing different car slogan hook, line and sinker

Anyways, at the time I wanted a wagon and it was the only one that fit the bill for me. It's been a great car, still runs well and I hope to have it on the road for many years to come.

Oh, and I almost bought a SKY! I was in the market for a small car but got a MINI convertible instead. I am glad I didn't get the SKY as there probably aren't many parts around for them. Rare car though, that's for sure. Mostly the lack of a back seat and any usable trunk space, heated seats, etc. killed it for me. Just not a practical car either for a guy with two kids or for convertibles up here where heated seats are the first thing you need.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!