SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Crazy C
Crazy C is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2
1995 SL2
Default Clicking while braking

Yesterday while in stop and go rush hour traffic around town I noticed that when I was slowly coming to a complete stop there was a clicking noise coming from the front brakes. It sounded almost as if there was something stuck in the rims.. I would describe it like if you were to put something in the spokes of a bike. I inspected it when I got where I was going but didn't see anything caught in the wheels, so now I'm just curious what's causing this noise. The brakes seem to be working fine too, but could this be some kind of a warning that they're worn? I can't say I've ever heard a clicking noise like this before, and I don't want to take any chances with the brakes.. Any thoughts on what it could be?

1993 Saturn SL2 (162,271 miles): The One and Only
1995 Saturn SL2 (153,800 miles)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier LS (150,500 miles)

Support the American auto industry! Long Live General Motors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Crazy C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Crazy C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Crazy C is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #2
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2
Default Re: Clicking while braking

There could be a few causes of this..

Number one for me (in my experience)... grime and crud in between the brake rotors and the hub itself. Whenever I do a brake job, I always clean up the mating surfaces really well, otherwise there WILL be a clicking sorta noise while coming to a stop.

Second thing I've had make such noise although you say front end, was a leaking wheel cylinder in the rear. Probably brake fluid getting onto the braking surface causing a strange coefficient of friction. New wheel cyl and some brake cleaner. No more noise.

I'm slowly becoming an expert on brakes..

Have you pulled a wheel and given it a quick visual?

Either way some suggestions to think about.

1996 SL2 5MT. 271KMs. Alive!
1997 SL1 5MT. 217KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.
2000 SW2 5MT. 133KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Crazy C

1993 SL2
1995 SL2

SLCraig,

Thank you for your excellent suggestions! I haven't gotten a chance to take the wheel off for a visual or jack it up yet to get underneath it, but I have peeked under the car without finding anything.

Your number one suggestion sounds very possible, although I did just use brake plate cleaner a few months back.. Is it likely for all that grime and crud to build up in a short amount of time?

As for your second suggestion, if that were the case, wouldn't I be low on brake fluid? Because I checked that and the level seems fine.

I just don't want anything to go wrong with my brakes, you know?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Crazy C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:43 AM   #4
97sl2DOHCaut1.9
97sl2DOHCaut1.9 is on a distinguished road

do you have plastic wheel covers ? (dont know what they are called). If so , take them off and drive the car to see if the noise is gone

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97sl2DOHCaut1.9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97sl2DOHCaut1.9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97sl2DOHCaut1.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
Crazy C

1993 SL2
1995 SL2

97sl2DOHCaut1.9,

No, I do not.. I have rims on my '93 and '95 SL2. Thanks for the suggestion though, I have plastic wheel covers on my Cavalier and if the lug nuts get loose that does cause clicking and rattling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

When was the last time you had the brakes done?

Could be a caliper...brake shoe worn....bad rotors...

Only way is to remove the front wheels and take a look.

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Does the car have ABS?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Crazy C

1993 SL2
1995 SL2

2NDSOUT,

I believe it has been about a year or so since I got my brakes done.. But as I said, I can still seem to brake just fine. Only problem is it makes a clicking and knocking noise sometimes when I'm coming to a stop.

madpogue,

Yes, the car does have ABS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #9
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Could it just be the ABS kicking in? If it is, it indicates a problem, probably with a wheel sensor incorrectly feeding a different speed to the ABS. Try this - remove the ABS fuse or relay (relay is in the underhood fuse box; I _think_ the fuse is there, too) and test. ABS light on the dash will come on, and of course, you'll have no ABS, but see if the noise continues or goes away. This will at least rule the ABS in or out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #10
Crazy C

1993 SL2
1995 SL2

By the way, I totally forgot to mention this is on my '93. I apologize, sometimes I forget to say which one I'm speaking of.

madpogue,

I suppose there's a chance it could be, but wouldn't the wheels be locking up then? Because there definitely doesn't seem to be any of that. I could still test it to rule that out though, and I really appreciate your suggestion either way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy C View Post
I suppose there's a chance it could be, but wouldn't the wheels be locking up then? Because there definitely doesn't seem to be any of that. I could still test it to rule that out though, and I really appreciate your suggestion either way.
No, quite the opposite. The ABS backs off the brakes, each (front) wheel separately, to keep them from locking up. It shouldn't do that _until_ it senses the wheels locking up, but I'm thinking that's what it's doing, falsely, because of a sensor or wiring issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
PIYIRIO
PIYIRIO is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
No, quite the opposite. The ABS backs off the brakes, each (front) wheel separately, to keep them from locking up. It shouldn't do that _until_ it senses the wheels locking up, but I'm thinking that's what it's doing, falsely, because of a sensor or wiring issue.
I think that would cause a pulsing sensation like a warped rotor. You never know though. Like every one's mentioned, pull the tire and see if anything is obviously wrong, otherwise you're literally flying blind. Check the caliper bolts, they could have loosened. I've had that happen before and it causes clicks and pops.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PIYIRIO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PIYIRIO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PIYIRIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIYIRIO View Post
I think that would cause a pulsing sensation like a warped rotor. You never know though.
My ABS have kicked in "for real" several times, and I don't really feel it in the pedal. The pulsing is all done from the ABS controller, which is downstream from the master cylinder, and since it could be doing only one of four wheels, you might not get any pedal feedback. If anything, about the only feedback I get is that the pedal goes _down_ a bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #14
PIYIRIO
PIYIRIO is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Hmmm, I can feel it in my wifes CRV... all through the car, not just the pedal. Maybe its just the heightened senses and slowed time of an extreme "butt-pucker" moment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PIYIRIO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PIYIRIO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PIYIRIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #15
SLCraig
Master Member

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy C View Post
SLCraig,

Thank you for your excellent suggestions! I haven't gotten a chance to take the wheel off for a visual or jack it up yet to get underneath it, but I have peeked under the car without finding anything.

Your number one suggestion sounds very possible, although I did just use brake plate cleaner a few months back.. Is it likely for all that grime and crud to build up in a short amount of time?

As for your second suggestion, if that were the case, wouldn't I be low on brake fluid? Because I checked that and the level seems fine.

I just don't want anything to go wrong with my brakes, you know?

Sorry for the delay in response. I was in Nova Scotia for a week. Beautiful place!

I was not low on brake fluid when I replaced my wheel cyl. When the noise started, it had just started to leak. It was not leaking enough fluid to appear low yet at that point.

As for the brake grime/rust issue.. It's really only normally an issue when the brakes are off, and reinstalled. If the brakes hadnt been off, its likely not the issue.

Just need a visual for sure.. Perhaps it could even be a crack in the brake rotor... or something as dumb as loose wheel lugs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2009, 12:44 AM   #16
Crazy C

1993 SL2
1995 SL2

madpogue,

Thank you for explaining that to me, I had no idea that was how it worked. That definitely sounds like that could be the culprit.

PIYIRIO,

Will do, I will check that. I haven't had the time to pull the tire yet, but I will make sure to do it soon.

SLCraig,

No need to apologize! I've never been to Canada, but I hear great things about it and would love to go one of these days. Anyway, I definitely do not appear to be low on brake fluid, and the brakes haven't been off and then reinstalled. I suppose I am going to need to get a visual to investigate this further.

The weird thing is I did plenty of driving today and there was no clicking or knocking coming from the brakes at all!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #17
SLCraig
Master Member

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Hey there, just wondered if there were any updates on this Crazy C?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #18
ShawnV
Master Member
ShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the roughShawnV is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2
2003 VUE 2.2L

I'm currently experiencing this problem with my 1996 wagon 184k. There is a clicking or ticking when I slow. The clicks progressively space out as I slow to a stop. From reading, I think it may be rear pads, cylinder, or rear sway bar links.

I recently moved to NC and am finally settled. I'm planning on putting on 4 new struts, rear sway bar, rear brakes, ball joints, tie rod ends, and anything else I see in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShawnV's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShawnV reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShawnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #19
madpogue

1996 SW2

Your car most likely has rear drums, not discs. Very few, if any, wagons of that era were issued with rear discs.

Does the noise occur when coasting to a stop, or only when braking? In gear, in neutral or both? Automatic or manual transmission?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2010, 01:21 AM   #20
SLCraig
Master Member

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnV View Post
I'm currently experiencing this problem with my 1996 wagon 184k. There is a clicking or ticking when I slow. The clicks progressively space out as I slow to a stop. From reading, I think it may be rear pads, cylinder, or rear sway bar links.

I recently moved to NC and am finally settled. I'm planning on putting on 4 new struts, rear sway bar, rear brakes, ball joints, tie rod ends, and anything else I see in there.
Sounds just like the noise I had.. was a bad wheel cyl.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!