SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #1
Noogit
Noogit is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1992 SL1
Default Loud squealing in reverse.

Okay, i just bought a '92 SL1. 5spd. Everything is stock. When i start the car after a day or so of sitting, and put it in reverse, it squeals rather loud. My neighbor heard it from inside his house. As soon as i push in the clutch to shift to first, it immediatly stops. Friend who owns a '94 says trans. fluid, but i checked it, and it's all good. Anybody know what might be the cause?

Stock '92 SL1.
Mods to come...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Noogit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Noogit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Noogit is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Loud squealing in reverse.

Everything is stock? This might simply be a worn out belt tensioner; if you can depress the belt between the pulleys easily then the tensioner is worn out. A '92 with 17yr old parts that old cannot last forever. Is the belt original? A worn belt tensioner allows the belt too much slack so the crank pulley squeals against the belt that's restrained by the accessories its supposed to be turning; alternator, power steering pump, and water pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member
Col.FUBAR is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

I don't know if you could confuse this or not but my 94 is also a 5 spd. and mine whines quite loudly the faster I go in reverse as long as the clutch is engaged. The only other car that I have had that was a manual was my Geo Metro and it made same whining noise in reverse when the clutch was engaged.

Former DD: 1994 SC2 5spd. 190K, being sold to a friend

2005 Saturn ION 2 5spd. 73K

1995 Aquamarine SL2
1.9L DOHC 5spd. ~125K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Col.FUBAR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Col.FUBAR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Col.FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Oh, maybe I'm the one confused. Gear whine from reverse gear running parts of the transmission backwards with poor meshing causing the noise being confused with belt squealing? Hmmmmm.........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-02-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member
Col.FUBAR is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

I'm not positive of the noise (this is of course a forum and it is hard to describe sounds over the interweb) but I just thought I would throw my hat in the ring

Former DD: 1994 SC2 5spd. 190K, being sold to a friend

2005 Saturn ION 2 5spd. 73K

1995 Aquamarine SL2
1.9L DOHC 5spd. ~125K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Col.FUBAR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Col.FUBAR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Col.FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #6
Noogit
Noogit is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1992 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.FUBAR View Post
I don't know if you could confuse this or not but my 94 is also a 5 spd. and mine whines quite loudly the faster I go in reverse as long as the clutch is engaged. The only other car that I have had that was a manual was my Geo Metro and it made same whining noise in reverse when the clutch was engaged.
The whine your talking about is not the one im talking about. You're talking about the one that sounds like an RC car?
This one is louder and higher pitched.

I think it is the tensioner.
About how much does one cost?

Thanks for the input.

Stock '92 SL1.
Mods to come...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Noogit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Noogit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Noogit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Go to rockauto.com or saturnparts.net online to price them. Its recommended to buy the metal idler pulley and not the plastic one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!