SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Support Forum for Canadian Saturn Owners
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
wifeofcore
Administrator
wifeofcore is on a distinguished road

Default Its Official: Saturn to Cease Operations in Canada

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=3313]It’s Official: Saturn to Cease Operations in Canada[/drupal]

Quote:
Earlier today Stew Low, a spokesman for General Motors, officially announced what had been expected for some time: Saturn will cease its operations in Canada on or before December 31, 2009. According to Low, the decision to shutdown operations was jointly made by General Motors and Penske officials after thoroughly analyzing the brand's Canadian business model.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wifeofcore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wifeofcore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wifeofcore is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
steadler
steadler is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Its Official: Saturn to Cease Operations in Canada

Then again no surprise.

The Saturn brand is still in better shape than, let say, Pontiac RIP or even Saab in NA.

Some people here (Canada) think Saturn is dead and will not be making cars again ... wrong ... they won't be selling them here ...for now anyway.

Not worried about parts, warranties or car value for my Aura because the Malibu is so similar. I see it more as an name plate issue.

2008 AURA XE 3.5
TECHO GRAY
mfg june '08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steadler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steadler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
Bluemax
Bluemax is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Scoop !!!

Opel sold to Magna !

Magna opens new dealer network in Canada under the Opel name !

Most of the former Saturn Canada dealers reopen their doors under the Opel banner.

Recent Saturn owners are bringing their Astra, Aura, Vue and Outlook to take advantage of the free offer to replaced their Saturn badges with the correct Opel badges and logos.

Stop !

This is a dream and unfortunatelly it wil not happen in

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bluemax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bluemax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bluemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
saturnd00d
saturnd00d will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 2.4L

Bad move Penske...

Small cars are a bigger hit in Canada than in the states. Canadians are more accepting of better premium small cars and are willing to pay the price for them, whereas Americans would generally rather buy a larger used car instead. If they do buy a small car, it's more than likely a 2nd car for the household.

I still wish Penske luck, and am looking forward to seeing what happens with the Saturn brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnd00d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnd00d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #5
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2

I can understand the reason for the move, but it doesn't seem to be in line with Penske's organizational skills. Esp. since his future vehicles may be sourced outside of N.A., I would think they would have an easier time bringing them to Canada than the U.S.

I hope this means that Penske hasn't bitten off more than they can chew - time will tell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
AstraNorth
AstraNorth is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I believe Penske has something to do with The Smart Car coming to North America? Not sure if he owns the rights in Canada or if someone is buying them from him. If this is the case, could someone not buy Saturns from him and sell them in Canada????...or if Penske has something to do with Smart Cars in Canada...let boycott "The Smart Car" in Canada because he is ignoring us.

OKAY....I'll wake up now....what was I thinking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
trancer78
trancer78 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe
2002 SC1

I'm pretty sure Penske only bought distribution rights to bring the Smart to the USA which was a few years after it had already been introduced to the Canadian market through Mercedes-Benz

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trancer78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trancer78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trancer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
Warren
Warren is on a distinguished road

I just hope that those of us in Canada that have Saturns still under warranty get a letter soon from GM telling us where we can have warranty work done for clearly it won't be long now before all Saturn retailers in Canada are history. I currently have a part on order through my Saturn dealer for warranty work. The best answer I have received is "the part is on back order". I mean, get real, how long can it take to supply a back-up battery for On Star. I am currently at day 12 and still waiting. I guess I should get used to it though as I can't imagine things are going to get any better now that we (Saturn owners in Canada) are orphans. Kind of makes me wish I had bought a CRV or a RAV rather than the Vue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warren's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warren reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
hand-filer
hand-filer is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I just hope that those of us in Canada that have Saturns still under warranty get a letter soon from GM telling us where we can have warranty work done for clearly it won't be long now before all Saturn retailers in Canada are history. I currently have a part on order through my Saturn dealer for warranty work. The best answer I have received is "the part is on back order". I mean, get real, how long can it take to supply a back-up battery for On Star. I am currently at day 12 and still waiting. I guess I should get used to it though as I can't imagine things are going to get any better now that we (Saturn owners in Canada) are orphans. Kind of makes me wish I had bought a CRV or a RAV rather than the Vue.
Warren,

The back-up battery is likely the same as what you will find in other GM models.
I'm still not regretting the fact I chose the VUE over the Hyundai Santa Fe. Every time I pass one I smile and count my blessings.
How were any of us to know what a clown show the mighty GM was to become. We based our choice on what we knew at the time.
As long as there is a GM there will be service for Saturn in Canada.
My Saturn retailer is part of a large auto group which includes a Chev, Buick & GMC dealer. They are absorbing the Saturn technicians and will be specializing in Saturn repairs and maintenance requirements.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hand-filer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hand-filer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hand-filer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Michel1961
Michel1961 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
As long as there is a GM there will be service for Saturn in Canada.
You probably mean GM will service Saturns as long as they have a legal obligation to do so and could face a class-action suit. Once the warranty and leases on 2009s expire (2014?), you can probably kiss GM service goodbye. That corporation is not exactly known to go the extra mile for its customers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Michel1961's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Michel1961 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Michel1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #11
dindak
dindak is on a distinguished road

I can't say I am surprised. I know of 3 dealers that are already closed with no notice and there was never any announcement from Penske that things were a go in Canada. Saturn is dead in Canada and will never come back.

That all said, it's not all bad. When Penske starts importing Nissans or Fiats or whatever, it will cease to be anything I would buy anyway. Better to move on, GM will service Saturn at Chevy dealers so not much to worry about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dindak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dindak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dindak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #12
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Default Stock almost gone, except for Astra's

Checked the dealer's remaining new stock here in Winnipeg.
2 Aura, 2 Outlook, 1 Sky, and 33 Astra's.
Good luck to them getting rid of those orphaned Astra's.
I wonder what the black book value of those will be after Dec.31?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Stock almost gone, except for Astra's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
I wonder what the black book value of those will be after Dec.31?
What's a "black book"? Is it anything like blue book value?

Sorry to hear about Saturn leaving Canada. I'm sure that it won't belong before it's gone from here too. Remember when Isuzu left Canada? It wasn't long after that that it was gone from here. The only Isuzus left are those chassis trucks which are sold here as Isuzus, Chevys, and GMC. They're sold in Canada as Chevys and GMCs.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #14
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Stock almost gone, except for Astra's

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin05VUE View Post
What's a "black book"? Is it anything like blue book value?
This will explain it:

link: http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/services...raise-trade-in

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #15
hand-filer
hand-filer is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel1961 View Post
You probably mean GM will service Saturns as long as they have a legal obligation to do so and could face a class-action suit. Once the warranty and leases on 2009s expire (2014?), you can probably kiss GM service goodbye. That corporation is not exactly known to go the extra mile for its customers.
No that's not what I meant. But feel free to think what you think I meant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hand-filer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hand-filer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hand-filer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:45 AM   #16
saturn junkie
saturn junkie is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2004 ION Red Line

UG i have 3 sattys under warnty first 04 redline , 07 ion 2 , vue XR . I hope kamloops saturn can give me some di******** on what will hapen on my cars . saturn of kamloops did call me . I would like to get the hybird vue they came down about 4k to meet my payment needs . Now that satty canada is dead should i go for it ? . Please give me your opinion on this . I would trade my 08 xr vue for 09 hybird the payments would stay the same . what do you guys think ? .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn junkie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn junkie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #17
leogag1
leogag1 is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstraNorth View Post
I believe Penske has something to do with The Smart Car coming to North America? Not sure if he owns the rights in Canada or if someone is buying them from him. If this is the case, could someone not buy Saturns from him and sell them in Canada????...or if Penske has something to do with Smart Cars in Canada...let boycott "The Smart Car" in Canada because he is ignoring us.

OKAY....I'll wake up now....what was I thinking.
"Smart" is distributed by Mercedes dealers in Canada. Penske in Canada does only business in truck rental.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leogag1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leogag1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leogag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #18
leogag1
leogag1 is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn junkie View Post
UG i have 3 sattys under warnty first 04 redline , 07 ion 2 , vue XR . I hope kamloops saturn can give me some di******** on what will hapen on my cars . saturn of kamloops did call me . I would like to get the hybird vue they came down about 4k to meet my payment needs . Now that satty canada is dead should i go for it ? . Please give me your opinion on this . I would trade my 08 xr vue for 09 hybird the payments would stay the same . what do you guys think ? .
The Saturn VUE is a "mild" hybrid. Therefore, it should be easy to get it serviced by any GM dealer past Dec. 31st. But then... why don't you wait to get the "real" 2-Mode hybrid from Chevy or GMC? For almost the same mileage, you get the true capacity of an SUV: the ability to tow something! And by the time it arrives in Canada, you may have put enough money aside to be able to pay it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leogag1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leogag1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leogag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #19
4thman
4thman is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Well that sucks,I like the Saturn dealership here in North Bay.How much warranty work can I get done on my car before they close up shop??I think I have a strut mount?? problem(front left??)on my 08 Aura,there is a slight clunking coming from the front, but it's very hard to discern and it only does it when I hit bumps a certain way.Last time I brought it in they couldn't hear it or replicate it.Maybe I'll try,try again.LOL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 4thman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 4thman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
4thman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #20
chillin05VUE
chillin05VUE is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thman View Post
Well that sucks,I like the Saturn dealership here in North Bay.How much warranty work can I get done on my car before they close up shop??I think I have a strut mount?? problem(front left??)on my 08 Aura,there is a slight clunking coming from the front, but it's very hard to discern and it only does it when I hit bumps a certain way.Last time I brought it in they couldn't hear it or replicate it.Maybe I'll try,try again.LOL.
Offer to take the tech for a ride. That way, you can make the noise and then he'll hear it.

"Remember, if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

2005 VUE V6 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chillin05VUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chillin05VUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chillin05VUE is offline   Reply With Quote