SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #1
BigBen
BigBen is on a distinguished road

Default I don't get it, why so few Skys on the road?

I live in a major city located in So Cal. A few miles away is a Saturn dealership. I travel almost 50 miles/day, street & freeways. BUT, it's very rare that I see a SKY on the road. Perhaps I see one every 3 or 4 months.

I think the SKY is great, and its body styling is a knock-out. When they were first introduced, I figured they'd sell like hotcakes. But I see so very few.
So what's wrong?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigBen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigBen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
Default Re: I don't get it, why so few Skys on the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
I live in a major city located in So Cal. A few miles away is a Saturn dealership. I travel almost 50 miles/day, street & freeways. BUT, it's very rare that I see a SKY on the road. Perhaps I see one every 3 or 4 months.

I think the SKY is great, and its body styling is a knock-out. When they were first introduced, I figured they'd sell like hotcakes. But I see so very few.
So what's wrong?
Basically, it's a niche vehicle. It costs a lot and it is not practical, it seats only two people, its turning radius is relatively large and its trunk is small, especially with the top down. So basically it's a hobby car, not a commuter car nor a family car, so it's normal that it's not very common. Those who do have Skys will probably not even use it in day-to-day driving but instead use a cheaper car to avoid wearing down their prized vehicle.

At least, that's my take on it. Note that I'm not bashing the car, I think it looks great and that it is a very good car. I'd love to have it, but I don't see how I would justify forking over the money for it unless I won the lottery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #3
bryanm326
bryanm326 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Saturn is only manufacturing around 10,000 Skys per model year. As Sival pointed out it's a niche vehicle or what we call in this industry a halo. It was manufactured to draw attention to the Saturn brand.

"According to a recent study, it was found that children are hereditary. If your parents didn’t have any, chances are you won’t have any either."- Jackie Mason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryanm326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryanm326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bryanm326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Another note ....the SKY...... well it has a smaller turning circle then sival's ION, and the ION is tighter then S-Cars so where did sival came up with that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Sival

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnSdn View Post
Another note ....the SKY...... well it has a smaller turning circle then sival's ION, and the ION is tighter then S-Cars so where did sival came up with that.
I thought I remembered a review of the Sky where they said that the turning radius was large, I remembered being surprised at the information. I just checked and you are correct, the turning radius is 17,5 feet versus 17,7 feet for the ION, both of which are pretty tight. I consider myself corrected.

However, there was no need to pull out the scatological analogies, that was needlessly aggressive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

Its just not very practical for alot of people because of its passenger and cargo capacity.

I own a redline Ion and its amazing what you can put through those quad doors and trunk yet still enjoy that LSJ supercharged drivetrain.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:39 PM   #7
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Why not just post facts instead of fiction. Fiction is how 3/4's of the users of this site come to think things are facts. Sometimes scatological analogies will help people think before posting future fiction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2008, 11:30 PM   #8
Sival

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Why not just post facts instead of fiction. Fiction is how 3/4's of the users of this site come to think things are facts. Sometimes scatological analogies will help people think before posting future fiction.
I made one mistake that I admitted, generally I check things before I post but sometimes I trust my memory, which still has some chance of failing me. No reasons to jump out lik you did. As to the rest, everything else I said is pretty much fact.

The Saturn Sky costs a lot, it may be cheap for its class but it's still more pricy than most cars people purchase. It starts at 28k, for that price you've got a 2.4L engine with a manual, you can also get small crossovers for that price with V6s (Equinox at 25k with 3.4L V6 and 5-speed automatic, the VUE XE AWD is 26,5k with a 3,5L V6 and 6-speed automatic, the Traverse is nearly the same price at 29k, need I go on?) (All MSRP prices).

It is not practical. Well, duh, it's a roadster. It seats 2 people and if you plan on lowering the roof, you've got only 3.8 cubic feet of cargo area. Its fuel economy with the 2.4 is lower than some sedans with V6s (19/25 according to the EPA, the Impala with 3.5L V6 gets 19/29, the 2009 Caravan with the 4.0L engine gets 17/25), the 2.0L turbo is better but still not really fuel-efficient (19/28 with manual, still worse than the Impala).

It is not a commuter car. It can be used that way and some do, but it is not fuel-efficient and it will wear the car down quicker than most owners would like. People tend to use cheap cars or old cars for commuting, not nearly 30 000$ roadsters.

It is not a family car. Well, duh, it's a roadster (Déjà vu). It seats two and can barely hold any cargo.

These are all true, but it's not a valid critic for the car, it's a roadster, it's supposed to be pricy, to not be practical, to not be a good commuter, to not be used to haul a family around and to not be particularly fuel-efficient. That's what it is and there's nothing wrong with it, if you like taking road trips alone or with a friend/spouse, taking scenic roads and curvy streets with the top down and the wind blowing in your hair, then it's perfect. But what it is still means you're not likely to cross one on your way to work, which is what the OP wondered about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-20-2008, 11:53 PM   #9
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I never said a word about cost. Didn't say anything if you think it's practical or not. Not a word about cargo capacity. Everyone knows it's not a family car so I never brought that up. If it's not something you would use a commuter car thats up to you. I only stated that the comment about the turning radius was not correct and if people would stop posting things as facts the the users of this site may start to learn a few truths.

As for the rest of it ... alot is your opinion and you have a right to that without aurgument from anyone. Not just everyone may agree.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2008, 12:27 AM   #10
Sival

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
I never said a word about cost. Didn't say anything if you think it's practical or not. Not a word about cargo capacity. Everyone knows it's not a family car so I never brought that up. If it's not something you would use a commuter car thats up to you. I only stated that the comment about the turning radius was not correct and if people would stop posting things as facts the the users of this site may start to learn a few truths.

As for the rest of it ... alot is your opinion and you have a right to that without aurgument from anyone. Not just everyone may agree.
My problem is not so much the correction that I actually appreciate, I much prefer to be corrected and right than ignorant and wrong, my problem is how you said it. Whether or not you intended it, it came off as very aggressive and even bordering on insulting, basically accusing me of pulling statements straight out of my @$$. I think in innocuous situations like these, a polite correction suffice, no need to break out the big guns, it's not like we've spoken a lot and that I had a history of making untrue comments on cars in discussions on this board.

Anyway, I'm probably making a big deal out of it when I shouldn't. Sorry for the thread drift and I hope the issue's been laid to rest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:24 AM   #11
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I have no idea why you took it the way you did, but you did and thats the way it goes. Does not bother me in anyway, fact is I thought your reply was fun to read.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #12
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Back in 1990-1991 when the Miata first appeared it was likely the same situation. A niche car has to be on the market for a few years before you notice it. Personally I think the Sky is poorly executed but plenty of people buy crappy cars.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:36 AM   #13
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sival View Post
I thought I remembered a review of the Sky where they said that the turning radius was large, I remembered being surprised at the information. I just checked and you are correct, the turning radius is 17,5 feet versus 17,7 feet for the ION, both of which are pretty tight. I consider myself corrected.
Would a large turning radius prevent you from buying a car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-21-2008, 02:31 PM   #14
Sival

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsky View Post
Would a large turning radius prevent you from buying a car?
Depends on the use I planned for the car, if I had to use it mostly in the city, with lots of tight turns and difficult parking spots, it could be a deal-killer, yes. In a road-trip car that I expected to take for long trips down the highway, no. In any case, a tight turning radius would be a plus for any car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #15
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Of all the things I liked about the SATURN S-CARs it's tuning radius was always a sore spot with me ... sure I adjusted for it, almost got used to it, but never liked it. The ION does much better and is a better car in many ways, just as the ASTRA does some things better then the ION. After having the ION's I could not see me in a S-CAR again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2008, 05:29 PM   #16
bryanm326
bryanm326 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Of all the things I liked about the SATURN S-CARs it's tuning radius was always a sore spot with me ... sure I adjusted for it, almost got used to it, but never liked it. The ION does much better and is a better car in many ways, just as the ASTRA does some things better then the ION. After having the ION's I could not see me in a S-CAR again.
I think a lot of the turning radius issues were resolved in the Ion by the electronic power steering.

"According to a recent study, it was found that children are hereditary. If your parents didn’t have any, chances are you won’t have any either."- Jackie Mason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bryanm326's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bryanm326 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bryanm326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #17
SaturnSdn
Master Member

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

The source of power assit has nothing to do with the turning radius ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:57 PM   #18
BigBen
BigBen is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...the more I read about the Sky, the more interested I get.
Turning radius aside, it looks like a fun car to drive.

With the poor economy, I wonder if Saturn would sell it lower than fixed price (I'm guessing the Sky is sold at a fixed price as the other models are).

Anyone know?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BigBen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BigBen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BigBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #19
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough2NDSOUT is a jewel in the rough

1994 SL2
1999 SL

The Sky is a limited production vehicle. There are only 10K of them made a year, while the Solstice is made at 20K production a year. That's why the first 2 years of the car were sold out, because people had found out that Saturn was FINALLY doing a Convertible. (Still wish they would have done the S-Series in a Convertible, but the A-Frame was too weak for a Convertible at the time.)

The price on them is not a set price and I've seen them range anywhere from $26K up to $32K; depending on what is on them packagewise.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:11 PM   #20
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBen View Post
Hmmm...the more I read about the Sky, the more interested I get.
Turning radius aside, it looks like a fun car to drive.

With the poor economy, I wonder if Saturn would sell it lower than fixed price (I'm guessing the Sky is sold at a fixed price as the other models are).

Anyone know?
Saturns occasionally have rebates so the price isn't always fixed. Plus dealers will negotiate on things like trade ins.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!