SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Venky
Venky is on a distinguished road

Default 1995 Saturn SL2 will not start

I have a 95 Saturn SL2. It was fine this morning on the way to work, but while returning when I tried to start the car it did not start at all. It was just quiet when I turned the ignition key (not even the initial whirring sound while starting!). Called AAA and they tried to jump start it but it did not start even then. He did say it pobably has nothing to do with the battery since the battery seems fine (headlights came on, radio came on ).

What else could be the reason? I noticed that since yesterday, the security alarm is starting up on its own if I leave the driver's side door openfor a minute. Are these related? If yes, how can I turn off the security system and restart my car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Venky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Venky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Venky is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2009, 09:29 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: 1995 Saturn SL2 will not start

Perhaps try cleaning the battery terminals?

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky View Post
I have a 95 Saturn SL2. It was fine this morning on the way to work, but while returning when I tried to start the car it did not start at all. It was just quiet when I turned the ignition key (not even the initial whirring sound while starting!). Called AAA and they tried to jump start it but it did not start even then. He did say it pobably has nothing to do with the battery since the battery seems fine (headlights came on, radio came on ).

What else could be the reason? I noticed that since yesterday, the security alarm is starting up on its own if I leave the driver's side door openfor a minute. Are these related? If yes, how can I turn off the security system and restart my car?

+1^^clean and inspect battery terminals.

Is that an aftermarket security alarm? That sounds like your problem as it will stop the starter from functioning. If by "starting up on its own if I leave the driver's side door open..." you mean that the alarm horn is going off the system is tripped and has locked out the starter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

This alarm is aftermarket by definition; RKE "Security" in our cars didn't show up 'til '97. So contact the manufacturer of the alarm system, or see if there's any instructions for it in the glove box.

If headlights and radio work, even if the battery connection is weak, it should still make the fuel pump prime. Check ALL fuses in BOTH fuse boxes; only thing is, I can't think of a single fuse that would affect both the fuel pump and the starter circuit. If it isn't the alarm system locking you out completely (fuel AND starter kill!), it could possibly be a multiple-circuit failure of the dreaded ignition switch (the ONE part of our cars made by Lucas - "Prince of Darkness").

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:49 AM   #5
stevestar99
stevestar99 will become famous soon enoughstevestar99 will become famous soon enough

Does the dome light work? Door chime ? A common problem in the interior fuse box with the 12v feed line to the above mentioned will cause your alarm to not work properly. It also supplies the fuel pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stevestar99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stevestar99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stevestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

+1^^^^This is the $64.00 question.

The presence of an alarm leads me to ask what else has been added? Sound system by any chance?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
Slammin96
Slammin96 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venky View Post
It was just quiet when I turned the ignition key (not even the initial whirring sound while starting!).
Fuel pump?
am I alone in this assumption?

My first Saturn: 1996 SC2 5-speed
Kill List:
2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse 5-speed
2003 Mazda 3 5-speed w/ CAI & Exhaust

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Slammin96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Slammin96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Slammin96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Starter will run even if the fuel pump is dead. Its probably an electrical issue further up the chain but need more info to pin it down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
Venky
Venky is on a distinguished road

Finally figured out the problem today: it WAS the "aftermarket" security system; there were two very small knobs below the steering wheel that got turned "on" some how. Turned them "off" and the car started as usual!

Thanks for all the responses - they really helped narrow down the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Venky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Venky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Venky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:36 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Good find! I would go find a good alarm shop and get that thing removed or get the controller for it and the manual. They can leave you sitting by the side of the road with no warning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!