SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default Motor Trend: Penske Hopes to "Use a Competitor

A new story entry has been added:

Motor Trend: Penske Hopes to "Use a Competitor’s Excess North American Capacity" for New Saturns

Quote:
Motor Trend reports in its September 2009 issue that Roger Penske ultimately plans to sell Saturn vehicles that are built in North America. The magazine speculates that next-generation Saturn vehicles will be based on Renault-Samsung-Nissan models, which will be built in Nissan North American factories that have excess, spare capacity.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #2
chops
chops is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Motor Trend: Penske Hopes to "Use a Competitor

I just hope Mr. Penske keeps in mind that Saturn devotees don't really like CVTs. Hopefully the next-gen Vue, if it is based on a Nissan product, will come with a traditional six-speed auto instead. (I would also be happy if a manual was offered!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
saturned1
saturned1 is on a distinguished road

Have you driven a Subaru with the CVT. I think you'll change your mind about CVTs. We now have the Subaru lineup and the legacy with this transmission is impressive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturned1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturned1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
I just hope Mr. Penske keeps in mind that Saturn devotees don't really like CVTs. Hopefully the next-gen Vue, if it is based on a Nissan product, will come with a traditional six-speed auto instead. (I would also be happy if a manual was offered!)
The other brand CVT's are much better than the dreaded VTi.

My disappointment was the mileage wasn't any better than a std 4-speed automatic.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #5
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

Let's hope that Roger doesn't follow the Kennmore philosophy of product sourcing - write up the specs and find out who will build it cheapest!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
chops
chops is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturned1 View Post
Have you driven a Subaru with the CVT. I think you'll change your mind about CVTs. We now have the Subaru lineup and the legacy with this transmission is impressive.
After hearing all the horror stories about the VTi, I am extremely reluctant to trust any CVT, no matter what anyone says. I would presume that those who have actually experienced VTi issues firsthand would be even more reluctant.

I may be wrong, and I hope I am...but I still believe that the next Saturn with a CVT will be a tough sell.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chops's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chops reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
Sival
Sival will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops View Post
After hearing all the horror stories about the VTi, I am extremely reluctant to trust any CVT, no matter what anyone says. I would presume that those who have actually experienced VTi issues firsthand would be even more reluctant.

I may be wrong, and I hope I am...but I still believe that the next Saturn with a CVT will be a tough sell.
Nissan has put CVTs in hundreds of thousands of its cars (millions even) since a few years back, more if you include the Japanese market. They haven't had more problems with them than with traditional automatics... hey they're probably more reliable than Honda automatics, but that's not saying much.

Anyway, I think the main problem with CVTs is that they sound weird to a lot of people. People expect their speed in acceleration to increase with noise from the engine, but with a CVT, it tends to put the engine at a given speed and change the ratio as it accelerates. That means that the noise remains more or less constant, and leads to people believing the car is accelerating slower than it actually is, even when it is doing so faster than similar cars with traditional automatics. For instance, motortrend once did a comparison between 4 automatic compacts, the Lancer, the Civic, the Sentra and the Elantra*. The Lancer and Sentra both reached 60 mph in about half a second faster than the Civic and a full second faster than the Elantra. But on many review sites, reviewers tend to downplay the acceleration of automatic Sentras and 2.0L Lancer and to praise that of automatic Civics and Elantras (ex: consumerguide gives 5 to both automatic Civic, Sentra and Elantra but a dismal 3 to the Lancer (the fastest in the test!)).

*http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...fications.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sival's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sival reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:09 PM   #8
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

I am done with Saturn since Saturn is becoming a Nissan. Nissan cars look cheap on the inside and are out dated much like the Toyota cars. If I wanted to buy an Asian car I would buy Honda or Mazda the only who that look decent, and as of right now it makes no sense to buy a Saturn or any non-core brand cars. Besides Nissan people do not know how to drive next time you are on the road what how they drive. And you will find it is like crap.

I don't even use Saturn for Service anymore I go to my Chevy dealer and I have been a loyal Saturn fan since 1995 with my SL1 My ION and My VUE which I plan to keep for many more years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIONSLVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIONSLVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnIONSLVUE View Post
I am done with Saturn since Saturn is becoming a Nissan. Nissan cars look cheap on the inside and are out dated much like the Toyota cars.
They don't look it, some of them are cheap on the inside and assembled with crap. After toyota, nissan is the next car brand that I can't stand the most

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

If it's not polymer, it's not a Saturn, I AGREE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIONSLVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIONSLVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #11
sparky741
sparky741 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

Agreed. if Saturn = Nissan in the future, sorry, will not buy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sparky741's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sparky741 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sparky741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #12
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

My daily ride is a 4 cylinder Aura XE ... it's OK, but it could use more power.

I had an Altima rental for a week last year, 2.5 liter with CVT. It didn't give the sensation of being as fast as it was since there were no shift points to feel, but it did accelerate decently, better than the Aura.

For what it's worth, the Altima was just fine on the S. California freeways just north of San Diego. I can't say the same for the piece of junk Cobalt I had more recently.

I would take the Nissan over a Chinese, Korean, Indian, or Eastern European car any day.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Forget traditional automatics, let's hope they remember to include proper manual transmissions as well.

No slushboxes, no CVT's, no flappy paddles, no computers, no voodoo. Clutch, stick, and gears, please.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #14
mhl5
mhl5 is on a distinguished road

Well so much for owning another Saturn - if I want a crappy Nissan I'll just go buy one of those. I currently own an Astra - which is an excellent vehicle and I would replace this with a rebadged Sentra? No way - if only Opel (the only decent GM brand) could have an independant dealer network in the US

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mhl5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mhl5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mhl5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #15
TXVue04
Advanced Member
TXVue04 is on a distinguished road

I sure hope this article is wrong... Gosh Penske, bring back sexy, don't fall into the boring just another beige car on the road syndrom.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXVue04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXVue04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXVue04 is offline   Reply With Quote