SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 11:52 PM   #1
aweebitdisturbd
aweebitdisturbd is on a distinguished road

Default 97 Saturn Sl2 overheating

so far i've replace my water pump, thermostat, and had to put a new radiator cap on my car and its still overheating the fan comes on when it starts getting warm and there isn't a leak as far as i can see, i've completely flushed my entire cooling system and the radiator is fairly new and i'm at a loss as to what to try next my coolant level and overheating light kick on no matter what even if its completely full of radiator fluid. i test drove it today and it got to the halfway point before i killed it and it has never ran that hot it usually sits at the quarter mark and doesn't get much higher

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aweebitdisturbd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aweebitdisturbd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aweebitdisturbd is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default Re: 97 Saturn Sl2 overheating

the 1/2 mark is not much higher than where where it should be. you should sit at about 3/8 on the gauge. overheating would be in the red zone on your gauge.

is the coolant light on solid or flashing?

it could just be a dirty float in your reservoir. that can give a false low reading, triggering the coolant light (btw, one bulb for both of those symbols.)

1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorisSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
aweebitdisturbd

well it just seems higher than it should be cause i've had the car over a year and it has never ran that higher than 3/8 (meant that instead of 1/4) the coolant light is flashing and has been flashing the entire time i've owned the car.....yeah i figured it was one light i just was trying to be somewhat specific.....and i've been trying to avoid to getting past the 1/2 point because once it gets to there it hops quickly to the red mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help aweebitdisturbd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
jcasekim
jcasekim will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2

Did you replace your ECTS (engine coolant temperature sensor)? If your car has the original with the plastic tip, over time it will fail and coolant will leak onto the sensor connector, ruining the sensor and corroding the connector plug. If you decide to replace it, check the How-To section.

Does the temperature come back down once the fan turns on?

When you replaced the thermostat, did you flush the radiator? I assume you refilled it with 50% coolant and 50% water, or a pre-mixed 50/50 solution?

'98 SL2 w/slushbox; Prothane dogbone inserts; OBX header; eBay front STB; Magnaflow 2.25" muffler; Progress springs 1.8" drop; KYB GR-2 struts; 3/8" rear hub spacers; rear disc brake swap.

Last edited by jcasekim; 08-25-2009 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: thought of other possible causes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcasekim's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcasekim reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcasekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

As your owner's manual states, FLASHING means you're low on coolant. The reservoir should be full up to the seam. It does NOT indicate an overheat.

What's not in the owner's manual is that the sensor that trips this, a simple little "float" in the reservoir, can sometimes stick, so that even when you're not low on coolant, it'll FLASH the light (see dorisSL's comment above). Fix: drain enough coolant into a clean vessel, enough to empty the reservoir. Remove the reservoir and clean out with a low-suds soap like dishwasher detergent. Rinse thoroughly, reinstall, pour coolant back in and top up as needed.

1/2 is NOT overheating. 1/4 is too low. If you haven't replace the ECTS (see above), the gauge reading doesn't mean much anyway. AFTER you've replaced the ECTS, and verified that the level sensor is good, THEN run the engine up to operating temperature (usu. 3/8), and let it idle until the gauge starts to climb. Somewhere around 5/8, the cooling fan should kick on. ONLY if the gauge reaches 3/4 or more without the fan kicking on, OR if coolant boils out of the reservoir, ONLY then should you consider the engine "overheating".

See also 50/50 coolant mixture note above. If it's weak, it will lower the boiling point, and may boil over before the fan kicks on.

Does the fan come on when you run the A/C?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

As noted above, check the ECTS, be sure it is good and the connector free of corrosion. Replace if the old style. Until that is completed, the temp gauge reading is suspect at best.

A new t-stat will usually cause the car to run closer to design temperature which is about 3/8 scale, assuming the ECTS is good. It will climb higher over time is the car is not moving and the A/C is OFF. The fan will be on if the A/C is on, or if the temp climbs above the fan control set point (around 5/8 but before 3/4 scale on the '97).

While an intermittent false low coolant warning is often cured by cleaning the reservoir, if the low coolant warning has been flashing as long as you have had the car, it is possible the circuit is bad or was disconnected by a prior owner.

The overheating warning light is on steady, not flashing.

If the temp gauge is jumping into the red zone in a hurry, something sounds off. I would expect a gradual climb. Can you describe what is happening in more detail?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
aweebitdisturbd

thank you all i haven't replaced the ECTS and yes it was boiling over but now its fine i'm now starting to assume that it is my ECTS because it quit flashing after i washed out the reservoir tank so it probably got stuck i'm going to change it asap and see if that fixes my problem for good

REWARD EXCELLENCE!