SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
leogag1
leogag1 is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 3.6L
Default Owner Story: Vacationing with the Vue and a RV Trailer

A new story entry has been added:

Owner Story: Vacationing with the Vue and a RV Trailer

Quote:
Many years ago, my wife and I started doing camping using the minimal equipment: a tent, a Coleman LP stove and a cooler. We were young and soon discovered that even if this kind of camping can be fun for a few days, living in such minimalist gears during two or three weeks is not the same story. When you want to do "serious" camping, you need serious equipment. And a RV is almost mandatory! But what kind of RV can you afford when you don't want to change your car for a large F-350 pick-up truck?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leogag1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leogag1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leogag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2009, 11:47 PM   #2
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Thumbs Up Re: Owner Story: Vacationing with the Vue and a RV Trailer

The story now includes the photos sent in by leogag1.

Enjoy!
Charlie

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:43 AM   #3
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Owner Story: Vacationing with the Vue and a RV Trailer

This seems so familiar to me.

Next summer, we plan "to go west". Pulling a 3000lb pop up (2005 starcraft 1707), with my '99 mini van isn't going to cut it. So I am in the market for a larger RV and newer pulling vehical. I want a hybrid camper b/c of the wieght and size. I want an older VUE b/c it wont rust like my current van. (oh my van is getting so chewed up.)

I qualify for the clunker trade in, but my real problem is that I am too cheap too go buy a new VUE. And since last spring, I am taking a 20% pay cut to keep my job. So, I should delay the large purchases until next spring, when things at work better at work.

I have camper envy. WTG leogag1. Perhapse, we will see you at yellowstone next summer. Or maybe the grand canyon, or Mt. Rushmore. or...

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
leogag1

2009 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: Owner Story: Vacationing with the Vue and a RV Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossao1 View Post
This seems so familiar to me.
I have camper envy. WTG leogag1. Perhapse, we will see you at yellowstone next summer. Or maybe the grand canyon, or Mt. Rushmore. or...
My father just went there this year! (Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore). He made a 68 days trip from Matane, Quebec to Jasper, Alberta. He did the first half by the USA side (Chicago, Yellowstone, etc.) and came back by the Canadian side. He has a 2008 F-150, 5.4L V8 and a 24 ft fifth-wheel camper. Not sure my little VUE would be the best vehicle for climbing that high...! As I said, there are trade-offs when towing with smaller vehicles!

By the way, I am not used with the acronyms you use (IMO means "in my opinion" I suppose and IIRC is "if I recall correctly", right?) But WTG, what does it mean? I know WTF... hope it's not the same!

OK, just found out... "way to go" !

I wish you gool luck for your job! I wouldn't have changed my VUE if the huge 6500$ rebate wasn't there...! (I paid my VUE almost the same price as a Corolla LE...!)

Last edited by leogag1; 08-24-2009 at 07:41 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help leogag1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

Maybe it's just me, but my definition of "serious" camping, as the story suggested, would mean leaving any home conviences exactly there. At home, where they belong. Including the mattress (air or otherwise), fridge, and the furnace or a/c . But hey, maybe that's why the word serious was in quotes . But hey, it was def a good story about the actual capabilites of a Saturn nonetheless.

After spending most of my junior high and high school years camping 11 months of the year in Scouting, I don't consider anything more than a tent as camping. And in some conditions that is even a stretch (dependant on the weather). I always cringe when I pull into a place to camp, and every single used lot is filled with an rv or 5th wheel :shudder:. My theory is why bother to leave home if you're just going to bring "home" with you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #6
Luma46
Luma46 is on a distinguished road

I would be interested to know what the fuel consumption was with this Vue pulling a 3000# trailer. I have a 2007 Vue AWD, 3.5 l engine and started pulling a 2150# dry weight 17’ ultralite trailer, loaded weight probably around 2500#. While the trailer is light, it is fairly boxy, which means quite a bit of wind resistance. To make the story short, no problem at all to pull the trailer, but the fuel consumption went up from 8.5 l/100km to about 19 l/100km (~12 MPG) – quite a shocker to me.
Vue was most of the time in the 4th gear, very little in 5th and on hills shifting to 3rd.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luma46's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luma46 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luma46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
leogag1

2009 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luma46 View Post
I would be interested to know what the fuel consumption was with this Vue pulling a 3000# trailer. I have a 2007 Vue AWD, 3.5 l engine and started pulling a 2150# dry weight 17’ ultralite trailer, loaded weight probably around 2500#. While the trailer is light, it is fairly boxy, which means quite a bit of wind resistance. To make the story short, no problem at all to pull the trailer, but the fuel consumption went up from 8.5 l/100km to about 19 l/100km (~12 MPG) – quite a shocker to me.
Vue was most of the time in the 4th gear, very little in 5th and on hills shifting to 3rd.
Hey! 19 L/100 km is quite good! Here are the numbers with my VUE 2005, which was technically the same as yours:

Flat roads, no wind, nice summer day at 22 C: 17 L/100 km
"Normal" day, a low front-side wind (20 km/h) and some hills: 26 L/100 km...
Storm day, high winds (50 km/h and above), with rain: 28 L/100 km.

To deliver the torque required for towing, there is no secret: the engine needs gas! It is absolutely normal.

For your information, my father just made a 68 days trip around USA and Canada with a Ford F-150 2008 (5.4L V8) and he averaged 24 L/100 km, with peaks of 35 L/100 km!

Have you remarked that the Honda tranny doesn't like to remain in 4th gear? Whenever it hits that gear, the computer tries to shift to 5th... the consequence of having two overdrives!

The new HydraMatic 6T70 in the new VUE is better suited for towing, since the 5th gear is "drive" (1.00:1) and the 6th gear is the overdrive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #8
leogag1

2009 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToledoEngineer View Post
Maybe it's just me, but my definition of "serious" camping, as the story suggested, would mean leaving any home conviences exactly there. At home, where they belong. Including the mattress (air or otherwise), fridge, and the furnace or a/c . But hey, maybe that's why the word serious was in quotes . But hey, it was def a good story about the actual capabilites of a Saturn nonetheless.

After spending most of my junior high and high school years camping 11 months of the year in Scouting, I don't consider anything more than a tent as camping. And in some conditions that is even a stretch (dependant on the weather). I always cringe when I pull into a place to camp, and every single used lot is filled with an rv or 5th wheel :shudder:. My theory is why bother to leave home if you're just going to bring "home" with you?
This is the beauty of camping: the wide choice of types of camping! Yes, I used quotes for the word "serious" because it is not more serious than any other form of camping. It is just a preference. Camping is fun, no matter how you do it! And I would never tell someone that using a 43' trailer with 3 slide-outs is not camping, because in fact, it is camping! It is just more luxurious than tent-based camping... But often, we refer it as RVing, to make the distinction with tent-based camping. Ask any "RVer" if we would sleep a night or two in a tent and you would be surprised to learn that most of them would answer "yes, anytime!" But when getting older, sleeping on the floor is somewhat too painful and it ain't no fun anymore. This is where the RV comes to save camping!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
aurawoman
aurawoman is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2008 VUE 3.6L

We RV with a Vue also, only we tow it behind a Motorhome. Tows very well and we have a nice vehicle when we get to where we are going.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aurawoman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aurawoman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aurawoman is offline   Reply With Quote