SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
carlito
carlito is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Brake Noise?!?!?!

04 Vue RL This has been a recurring problem for me. When I hit the brakes I get a noise form the front. I wish I could explain it, but its kind of a rubbing - whah whah whah noise that is directly related to the speed I'm doing. I don't notice it at high speeds. It does not happen in reverse. I do not feel pulsating in the pedals. Before I've thought it was warped rotors, but now I'm on my third set of pads and rotors, this current set is drilled rotors and ceramic pads that were bedded properly. I'm obviuolsy not fixing the problem. When I change the pads and rotors the noise does stop, but comes back after a couple months. I also had a clunk in the right front but I'm sure that is an unrelated probelm. In a couple days I'm goint to change the caliper bolts to see if that helps my clunk (I doubt it but the parts are cheap and it worth a try). Is there anything else I should be looking for once I get the wheels off. This brake noise (or whatever it is) is driving me nuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlito's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlito reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlito is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
DavidBo
DavidBo will become famous soon enough

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: Brake Noise?!?!?!

I'd look into the typical wear items first, namely things like sway bar bushings, endlinks and tie-rod ends. The caliper bolts are a good idea, also make sure the caliper bracket is good and tight. A last resort might be the wheel bearings, but that's usually not brake related. Also make sure any anti-rattle clips and pad shims are installed. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DavidBo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DavidBo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DavidBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
carlito

2004 VUE Red Line

I changed the sway bar link ends about a month ago. Finding and repairing noises really sucks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help carlito reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Wah-wah sounds like a wheel bearing. When you brake in forward motion, the front bearings are loaded with more weight, which can amplify the sound of the bearing. Obviously when you brake in reverse the bearings are unloaded. Kind of a wild shot, but worth finding out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I second the wheel bearing.

It's weird that the noise goes away temporarily after changing the pads and rotors if it was a wheel bearing though.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
carlito

2004 VUE Red Line

I was thinking a bearing too, but it still makes the sound if I just lightly tap the brakes at a very low speed, meaning the is no additioan load on the bearings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito View Post
04 Vue RL This has been a recurring problem for me. When I hit the brakes I get a noise form the front. I wish I could explain it, but its kind of a rubbing - whah whah whah noise that is directly related to the speed I'm doing. I don't notice it at high speeds. It does not happen in reverse. I do not feel pulsating in the pedals. Before I've thought it was warped rotors, but now I'm on my third set of pads and rotors, this current set is drilled rotors and ceramic pads that were bedded properly. I'm obviuolsy not fixing the problem. When I change the pads and rotors the noise does stop, but comes back after a couple months. I also had a clunk in the right front but I'm sure that is an unrelated probelm. In a couple days I'm goint to change the caliper bolts to see if that helps my clunk (I doubt it but the parts are cheap and it worth a try). Is there anything else I should be looking for once I get the wheels off. This brake noise (or whatever it is) is driving me nuts.
carlito ... you asked for anything so you might review the attached ... not sure if it pertained to RL and it clearly does not pertain to VIN's greater than 4S837201.

Seems like a lot of work to just spray brake and choke cleaner ... not sure if I wouldn't try to get some silicone spray in there without taking apart.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - Front Pop-Rattle.pdf (140.0 KB, 42 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
suprchevyshow35
suprchevyshow35 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

my 03 vue made the same noise about 3 days after i turned the rotors and installed new pads. Sound only happens when slowing to a stop from low speeds. Sounds like a rubbing noise. like he said, wah wah wah. Can't figure it out. anyone else had this problem? all my bolts are tight

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to suprchevyshow35's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help suprchevyshow35 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
suprchevyshow35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #9
carlito

2004 VUE Red Line

I did my repair work a couple weeks ago. I checked all four brakes, the front was making the WAH WAH noise and there was suspension squeaks everywhere and the rear brakes were squeaking. The fronts all I did was change the caliper pins, anti rattle clips and new dust boots. I also gave a quick sanding to all braking surfaces. The rears I just cleaned and adjusted. I also sprayed some of the T9 stuff everywhere. My Vue is SOOOO quiet now it is awesome. However the brake noise always goes away - for a little while. I'm sure the WAH WAH WAH will come back in a couple weeks, at which time I will get really pissed off and hate my vue until I pull the wheels again and play with the brakes. Its an on-going battle with no solution that I can find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #10
carlito

2004 VUE Red Line

*UPDATE* well I guess it's been about two months now since I did my brake work. They were nice and quiet for awhile but now the stupid noise is coming back. I do not even drive my Vue to work so I probably only put on a couple hundred miles, no hard duty driving, nothing out of the ordinary at all. Maybe it just doesn't like sitting there and makes noises to piss me off so I'll drive it more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #11
04moranjames89
04moranjames89 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

maybe your dust shield is touching your rotor. idk

-04 3.5l vue-

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04moranjames89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04moranjames89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
04moranjames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:38 AM   #12
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

A little late to reply but I noticed you said you dont drive your Vue much so im thinking what is happening is when it is parked the rotors are forming a coat of rust on them except were the pads are sittng . When you decide to use the Vue the brake pads are actually rubbing on the build up of rust and were they pads sit when its parked there is
no/little rust. This is why it goes wha wha wha wha or shik shik shik.
The only way to stop this is to drive it more

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Someclown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Someclown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #13
CaptainInsane-O
CaptainInsane-O will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE Red Line

I've done the brakes on my wife's VUE twice now & both times when the pads got within ~5k of needing to be changed the front started making a chuffing noise like you're describing. Rotors were fine, no warping issue at all so last time I mic'ed the wear surface and found that they were a couple of hundredth's thinner than the rest of the pad toward the front edge...

I'm guessing the caliper piston is/was wobbling just a hair when it starts having to extend farther as the pad starts getting on the thin side. Replaced the calipers this last time, so I'll see in about 35~40k if it happens again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CaptainInsane-O's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CaptainInsane-O reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CaptainInsane-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #14
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Captain did you replace caliper pins or just clean them? this sounds to me like the upper pin is not releasing fully and therefore keeping the front of the pad rubbing slightly on the rotor.May also have been the caliper pistons as they do corrode under those rubbers were the o-ring rides inside the bore of the caliper.When I do my brakes I take the pistons out and use hi temp silicone grease on the O-rings of the pistons this helps keep the bore from corroding and keeps the pistons sliding freely also pull the two caliper pins apart and fill them with the same grease.
this also lets me change some of the brake fluid at the same time as brake fluid absorbs moisture every time you take the lid off the reservoir causing corrosion inside the whole system which no one will ever see happening.Also never push fluid back when pushing pistons in to replace breaks (open bleeder screw) and let brake fluid come out while pressing pistons in. Not doing this pushes dirty/moist fluid back into brake system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Someclown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Someclown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #15
CaptainInsane-O
CaptainInsane-O will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someclown View Post
Captain did you replace caliper pins or just clean them?
1st time I just cleaned everything up & re-greased, this last time I replaced the whole shebang from the calipers to the lines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CaptainInsane-O's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CaptainInsane-O reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CaptainInsane-O is offline   Reply With Quote