SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #1
icarl
icarl is on a distinguished road

Default Windshield Replacement

I got a rock chip today that is unrepairable. Dealer wants $1000 to replace windshield. I called a windshield repair place and they want like $775. That is just insane. My windshield on my jeep is like $300 to replace. I guess i should of got another jeep.

2008 Astra 5dr Xr. Twilight Blue. Performance Package.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to icarl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help icarl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
icarl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
icarl
icarl is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Windshield Replacement

My advice is to invest in some windshield protectent like this so you don't have to pay this much to replace windshield. At those prices there should be insurance for it. It's just a work vehicle so I'm just going to throw some sealant on it and call it good. Will replace windshield when i sell the car.

2008 Astra 5dr Xr. Twilight Blue. Performance Package.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to icarl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help icarl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
icarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #3
Nightwalker
Nightwalker is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Yeah, $700+ is highway robbery, have you looked around more?

I had a small window busted on my old SL2, and most places wanted around $500 to replace it. I finally found a small shop that only charged $250 and it was flawless.

My audio system thread, how to replace speakers: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137456

2008 Astra 3 door XR, 5-speed MT Black Sapphire, custom audio system

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nightwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nightwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:13 AM   #4
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarl View Post
I got a rock chip today that is unrepairable. Dealer wants $1000 to replace windshield. I called a windshield repair place and they want like $775. That is just insane. My windshield on my jeep is like $300 to replace. I guess i should of got another jeep.
Try to find a scrapped astra maybe where the windshield hasnt been damaged? Also, not sure where you are from or how your insurance laws work but you might have some kind of glass replacement policy within your insurance policy. Alot of states/provinces do, you can get it replaced through a no fault claim. Check into it.

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
TBeck2000
TBeck2000 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I found a couple windshields for sale on car-part.com for $165. They are from 3-door models, and I'm not sure if they are the same as the 5-door.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TBeck2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TBeck2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TBeck2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
fueled
fueled is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

yikes~

i got a dent from a rock that hit my windshield when i was driving on the highway. cost me $75 from apple autoglass to get it fixed. there's still a mark because of the dent. someone else that i know who has an astra also got their windshield chipped pretty easily too. i guess our windshield's, like the paint, aren't the most resilient?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fueled's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fueled reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fueled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #7
Robor007
Advanced Member
Robor007 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Not sure on your location or insurance but here in FL our windshields are covered for cracks and replaced free of charge (no deductible or anything).

2008 Astra XR3 door 5sp - Silver Sand with premium trim, 18" rims, and advanced audio. (new owner as of 12/15)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robor007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robor007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robor007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #8
JTO
JTO is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1

I checked the price on replacement windshield when I got a chip repaired and they quoted me $1250 (CDN). The supplier said no one in North America was making them yet and they had to be sourced from Europe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JTO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JTO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
Grymhawk
Grymhawk is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

When I bought my Astra a few months ago it was a demo. There was a crack in the windshield and it had to be replaced. This was done by the dealer as a condition of sale.

Problem is the windshield company just stuck the original rain sensor back on the new windshield with 2 sided tape and buggered it up. They even damaged it while removing it.

After some research there is a procedure for removing the sensor from the windshield, cleaning it and re-attaching it and this involves using a specific GM sensor attachment kit which comes with the necessary cleaner and adhesive. This is a kit that can be ordered through GM and is around $55 CDN.

If this kit is not used and the proper procedure is not followed I can guarantee your auto sense wiper funciton will not work after the windshield is replaced.

Now all that said I've read the best option is to have OEM glass ordered with a new rain sensor pre-attached at the factory.

2008 Astra XR3 Star Silver - 5 spd Manual
2008 Sentra SE-R Black - CVT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Grymhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Grymhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Grymhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
Layoira
Layoira is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueled View Post
yikes~

i got a dent from a rock that hit my windshield when i was driving on the highway. cost me $75 from apple autoglass to get it fixed. there's still a mark because of the dent. someone else that i know who has an astra also got their windshield chipped pretty easily too. i guess our windshield's, like the paint, aren't the most resilient?
yep glass is soft on there too:P I have a million scratches in mine, just got a new one the full length of the passenger wiper, a bit of dirt from a truck caught in it when it was wiping during the rain, left a nasty little scratch behind To have it buffed out will leave distortion. Im going to ignore it until I get a chip/crack then I can put it thru insurance 0 deductable no fault claim.

~Christina~
Astra XR5: 3M Film,GID, Arm Rest, SRi Wheel, Tints (50/35/13), Pioneer Nav Unit, Debadged, Glovebox Cooling, VXR Surrounds, Painted Grill, XP Spoiler, HIDS, Footwell Lighting. Pics Up :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Layoira's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Layoira reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Layoira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #11
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

It's not just Astra's with this issue. Every GM I've owned since 1988 has been vulnerable to pitting from rocks/sand, etc. It's not unusual to see a 3 or 4 year old car whose windshield looks like it got caught in a sandstorm.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
XRLad
XRLad is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

My cousin got his cracked and it was 800 bucks.Reason being i have been told is just as it was said.The best and proper way is to replace it with the sensor already with the glass,I assume this is why most are seeing a price of 700 to 800 bucks.LOL,i now find myself falling back from trucks on the high way ,or going slow enough to get the guys behind me to pass and follow him as he gets the crap from the truck ahead ,use em like a shield...evil but effective hehe.I practically pass trucks in the ditch on the four lane hehe.I get over as far left as i can before going buy.I am not paranoid !!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRLad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRLad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #13
hoody123
hoody123 is on a distinguished road

Wow, that sort of thing just makes me absolutely cringe! I've had to replace the windshield on my x-trail TWICE now GRRRRRR, and the last time it was $350. $1000 is a SCARY price...

To be perfectly honest, this car and my future seem like they're going to likely part ways...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoody123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoody123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoody123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

FWIW if you financed the car, you are probably required to carry "full coverage" insurance. In most cases that includes comprehensive coverage/glass coverage. Some companies have a deductible for glass coverage (thank you, Progressive), but many do not. I agree $700-1000 is a scary chunk of change, but considering that the rain sensor (and maybe the auto lights sensor) are in the windshield, it's not out of line.

Voice of experience says that Aura windshields are $400-$500 and no sensors.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #15
hoody123
hoody123 is on a distinguished road

Ya, I've got coverage on glass on my vehicles but the deductible is $300 and every time you run a claim, it shows as a claim. I'd sooner not have claim it, but at that price I sure would!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoody123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoody123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoody123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #16
DarylDePaul
DarylDePaul is on a distinguished road

I just replaced the windshield in my XR3 yesterday and it ran about $450 installed. I used Portland Glass in South Burlington, VT, which is a Glass Doctor company. I also added (for $21) their own insurance which will replace it at no cost to me if it gets broken in the next year. What the others said about insurance (I use Geico) is true; they will waive the cost (deductible) for repairs if it can be repaired. I've had windshields repaired often. This time the stone hit the edge on the driver side very close to the frameless edge, which weakened it enough to generate a crack that began working its way across toward the other side. Good luck getting yours taken care of (without getting taken!).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarylDePaul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarylDePaul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DarylDePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #17
DarylDePaul
DarylDePaul is on a distinguished road

Well, it looks like when they replaced the windshield they also bungled up the rain sensor for the wipers! Dagnabit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarylDePaul's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarylDePaul reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DarylDePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #18
08AstraFan
08AstraFan is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up on this - when I got my Astra and insured it the insurance person tried to sell me on a lower deductible in case the windshield goes etc - I figured, $200 or so for a windshield so no big deal.

I called them back and dropped that deductible to $200 - I can live with that and I have definately had windshield issues on cars before...yikes -I never heard of windshields being so expensive -

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 08AstraFan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 08AstraFan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
08AstraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:46 AM   #19
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTO View Post
I checked the price on replacement windshield when I got a chip repaired and they quoted me $1250 (CDN). The supplier said no one in North America was making them yet and they had to be sourced from Europe.
Someone posted earlier that there was 300+ windshields available by Saturn stored in Spring Hill???

17 years ago I was quoted over $300 for a windshield on my SC and it had to stay overnight at the glass company for the sealer to cure...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #20
kbg1
kbg1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2003 ION-2 Sedan
Mad Re: Windshield Replacement

hi
does anyone know how the astra rates insurance repair wise.
i can almost guarantee that when insurance companies start getting the bills for expensive windows and long and expensive delays for crash parts that our rates will go up.

jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kbg1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kbg1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kbg1 is offline   Reply With Quote