SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
strawberripocky
strawberripocky is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
Default Horn trouble.

I've searched the forum for similar problems and have found a few only slightly similar, but for an accurate answer, I figured I would post my problem here.

Okay, so... I have a '99 Saturn SC1. My horn just stopped working one day. I replaced the fuse, honked the horn a few times, and the fuse immediately blew. Can anyone tell me if it's just a problem with one of the wires, or if it's the entire horn that needs to be replaced? I'm a little new to repairing things on my own but I've had my car for 4 years now so I'm pretty familiar with how things work on it. The only problem is, I don't know where exactly the horn is located; my Haynes manual tells me very little. I've read in other forum posts that you can access it through the driver's side headlight, but I'm not sure if that holds true for different year cars. Also, is the relay for the horn connected to the horn itself? I'm looking to work on fixing it tomorrow, so if anyone could help me out, I'd GREATLY appreciate it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strawberripocky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strawberripocky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strawberripocky is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Horn trouble.

It is an electronic relay and its built into the horn. The horn is in the left front fender and you can see it if you look through behind the headlight. You don't have to take the light out to get at it though. Might have to remove the air filter box though. Its not fixable, you replace it. This is how its wired.

Welcome to the Forums!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #3
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Here is richpin's troubleshooting testing, it might help you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEMO0qARRec

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:44 PM   #4
strawberripocky

1999 SC1

Both of those posts helped me a lot, especially the video. I went out and located the horn. Will I have to replace the entire horn? I didn't really specify in my original post; the horn beeps, just blows the fuse when the button on the steering wheel is pressed. Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help strawberripocky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Yes, you almost certainly need to replace the horn. The issue is actually with the relay, but the relay is built into the horn. You have 2 options: replace it with another stock horn, or rework the wiring for a universal horn and external relay.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The reworking is not real straight forward either. There was a recent thread on the proces that went on for quite q while. The horn buttons are expensive and will not tolerate 10amps to ground too many times. Take the fuse out before you run the bill up. The best deal is a 2nd gen horn from the junk yard. Get one with a guarantee that its good. Your electronic relay has failed and is grounding the horn positive supply through the horn button.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
strawberripocky

1999 SC1

Thanks so much for your help everyone! I went to Autozone to see what kind of universal horns they had, but decided I didn't want to rewire everything (I had already put aftermarket speakers in a few months ago and knew what a pain that was) so I cruised the junkyard for a bit and found a 2nd gen horn that's cracked at the end, but I figured it might work. For 5 bucks, it works and doesn't blow the fuse. It doesn't sound as good as my first one, but it'll hold me over to get through inspection 'til I find a better one.

Again, thanks for all your helpful advice!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Just roll down the window and yell at them, works as well as the horn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
strawberripocky

1999 SC1

I like that idea better

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
The reworking is not real straight forward either. There was a recent thread on the proces that went on for quite q while. The horn buttons are expensive and will not tolerate 10amps to ground too many times. Take the fuse out before you run the bill up. The best deal is a 2nd gen horn from the junk yard. Get one with a guarantee that its good. Your electronic relay has failed and is grounding the horn positive supply through the horn button.
That thread made the whole thing seem more complex than it is. It's not that hard to wire a universal horn and relay to mimic the stock horn setup exactly, but just with the relay not built into the horn. The horn button only actuates the relay, and thus does not carry any high current.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You know that and I know that but not everybody knows that. Therein lies the trouble. And, the $6.00 30amp light relays have a low coil resistance that will fry the button contacts. When re engineering something it is a good idea to have an idea what the original design envelope was or you will rediscover the law of unintended consequences. The mechanical relay that is replacing a solid state relay that does not have an arc suppression diode added across the coil is just one example. Really should use one across the horn contacts also if you like to use the horn a lot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
beermonkey
beermonkey is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

my horn never went out on me but i replaced it with 2 aawooga horns and finnally an air horn. its funny to see peoples faces when i honk HAHA

1994 SL1 - R.I.P.
1997 SL2 - sold :)
1978 El Camino - still fixing...
1999 I30t - daily driver
2007 Cag Daytona - fixing
"Gimmie a Pickle jar, I'll open that B***h up like a MotherF**ker!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to beermonkey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help beermonkey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
beermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:37 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Every so often I think I want one of these.
http://www.hornblasters.com/video
http://www.hornblasters.com/products...-air-horn-kits

REWARD EXCELLENCE!