SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 06:17 PM   #1
rzm686
rzm686 is on a distinguished road

Default Starts then dies immediately

Title says it all. Ill go in depth about whats happening and in as much detail.

-2002 L200 2.2 manual 4cyc

- I try to start the car, it turns over, runs for like 2 seconds, then cuts out. It doesnt just die, it putters out as if out of gas. re-insert key, rinse and repeat. ive talked to a few people, some say ignition switch, some say BCM/ECM sending wrong codes to each other, thinks its being stolen, so it cuts the gas. Ive tried the passlock relearn multiple times, but there is NO security light on the dash at all, ever. Dome light doesnt work, keyless entry doesnt work. left side dash light on tachometer works some days, then is out the next. experienced dimming of headlights when using power windows when it was road worthy.

**-update ** I just dc'd the neg terminal from the battery for aproxx. 30-45 mins. reconnected, tried to start, it started and was running. my dumba** went to put the car in nuetral, i had a vitamin water bottle cap in the way, didnt fully disengage, car stalled out, then now continues dying every 2 seconds after a start. if i had a golf club the windshield would have been spidered, i cant put in words the animosity i have towards this car.
-Been trying to dc the neg terminal again for 30-1hour again see if it starts again, no luck. Some guy from GM dealership said maybe dc'ing the neg term for a bit kinda shocks the system back to life, idk whatever.

This has happened before, this is the 3rd time. First time it happend, didnt know what to do. Car sat for about a week, went out one day randomly, started it up and it worked fine. Second time it happend, waited few days, no luck. ended up sitting for 9 months. finally brought to a saturn dealer(worcester, MA) and they fixed it withouth a quam. They simply said they put it on a charger overnight, went out in teh AM and it started fine. they came back out every few hours all day to check on it, started fine, drove fine, everything was peachy. They asked if i charged the battery, 'Yea, been doin that for 9 months...' was my reply. So, it happened again, been sittin for a few weeks. been chargin the battery every day on my bro's car, no luck.

-Also, im almost postive everytime this problem has occured, ive left the lights on for about 5 mins. first time, came home, turned car off left lights on(forgot of course in a hurry) ran some stuff inside, came back out wont stay running. second time, almost same scenario. third time, was late for work, ran into the store for a soda, light were left on ( =\ ), came out, BAM problem came back. Charging system?

So, to you saturn owners. What would you say the problem is? Experienced something similiar to this? I did buy a $73 dollar ignition switch, ready to get blown up by the airbag tryin to put it in. i do have the haynes manual but just lookin for feedback before i really start screwing this car any more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rzm686's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rzm686 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rzm686 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
PEBLUM
PEBLUM is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
Default Re: Starts then dies immediately

How old is battery? If over 5 years...I would replace.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PEBLUM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PEBLUM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PEBLUM is offline   Reply With Quote