SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
sscrash
sscrash is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Replaced the Cabin Air Filter (08 Vue)

I just replaced the cabin air filter in my 2008 Saturn Vue 4cyl. It is located behind the glove box. Here are the steps I followed:

Remove the 2 hinge pins below the glove box. I used a slot screwdriver to help by prying lightly.

Open and drop the glove box and let it hang on the retractable string. You need to do this to access the 3 lower screws.

Remove the 6 phillips head screws on the plastic panel behind the glove box. You'll need to maneuver the box a bit to access the lower right screw.

Remove the panel. There are 2 body latches on the right and one on the upper left that just snap out easily when pulling.

Now you'll see the access panel to the filter that is laying horizontally. Squeeze the latches and lift the cover.

The old filter pulls out easily.

Replace the new filter. There is an air flow arrow on the filter and on the plastic.

Close the cover. And reverse the steps. Be sure all 3 male latches on the panel are pressed in before installing the 6 screws. My filter was very dirty with 19,000 miles. I drive in Western New York.

We also own an 04 Vue which was much easier to access on the fire wall!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sscrash's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sscrash reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sscrash is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #2
gmsuv
gmsuv will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 3.6L

Mine was alittle easier to do.
I removed the 3 screws that hold the top of the glove box, closed the door on the box to remove the 3 screws on the bottom. Popped the 3 body latches loose and the glove box was ready to remove. I did have to disconnect 2 glove box light connectors. On the filter case I lifted 2 latches to remove the filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gmsuv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gmsuv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gmsuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:55 PM   #3
kae
kae is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

I'm just curious...at what mileage did you replace the filter? I was under the impression that it was supposed to be done at each Maintanence II service or once every 12 months...but my dealer claimed it was only every 25k miles despite what the manual says...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

I'm sure the mileage would be best. Because it would properly represent the amount of time the VUE was actually operating.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
kae
kae is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

I would have thought factors beyond mileage would matter. I live in the south and we have ridiculously high pollen problems during the spring months...and parts of the summer. I would have thought that would affect the need to change the cabin filter more often...at least at that point. The manual says in dusty conditions the filter may need to be changed more often and should be checked at every oil change...but it never states a mileage. On my Ion they changed it at every Maintanence II service just as my Vue's manual says...anyway, seeing this thread made me think about it again and wonder lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
hand-filer
hand-filer is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscrash View Post
I just replaced the cabin air filter in my 2008 Saturn Vue 4cyl. It is located behind the glove box. Here are the steps I followed:

Remove the 2 hinge pins below the glove box. I used a slot screwdriver to help by prying lightly.

Open and drop the glove box and let it hang on the retractable string. You need to do this to access the 3 lower screws.

Remove the 6 phillips head screws on the plastic panel behind the glove box. You'll need to maneuver the box a bit to access the lower right screw.

Remove the panel. There are 2 body latches on the right and one on the upper left that just snap out easily when pulling.

Now you'll see the access panel to the filter that is laying horizontally. Squeeze the latches and lift the cover.

Replace the new filter. There is an air flow arrow on the filter and on the plastic.

Close the cover. And reverse the steps. Be sure all 3 male latches on the panel are pressed in before installing the 6 screws. My filter was very dirty with 19,000 miles. I drive in Western New York.

Thanks for the reminder and the how too info. I have 2 cabin filters that I purchased on Ebay ($9.95 EA.) The brand name is TYC.
I have the original one in there so I can only imagine what it looks like by now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hand-filer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hand-filer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hand-filer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
Mic__
Mic__ is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Sounds like a great annual maintenance issue.

I sure it helps your blower speed volume.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mic__'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mic__ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mic__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
leogag1
leogag1 is on a distinguished road

2009 VUE 3.6L

Mileage or time delay, none of these are really significant for this part. It is more a reminder than a real mandatory replacement, since this part is not a "functional" one and the fact that it becomes "too dirty" won't affect the vehicle, only the passengers. If you don't change it often enough, then the ventilation system may be affected (reduced air flow, loss of air conditioning efficiency), but nothing would break. Well... I hope nothing would break!

I removed my glovebox last week because I was hearing a buzz from that place (I hate dash noises...) and it was a loose screw underneath the glovebox. I took the opportunity to take a look at the filter and it is quite easy to replace, much easier than it was in the 2002-2007 Vue, from my point of view (it was easier to access in the old Vue, but removing and installing the filter was difficult... guess why!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to leogag1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help leogag1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
leogag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #9
gmsuv
gmsuv will become famous soon enough

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsuv View Post
I removed the 3 screws that hold the top of the glove box, closed the door on the box to remove the 3 screws on the bottom. Popped the 3 body latches loose and the glove box was ready to remove. I did have to disconnect 2 glove box light connectors. On the filter case I lifted 2 latches to remove the filter.

I only have 8000 miles on my '08 and I bought it in Oct of '07 and this is the first time that I changed out the filter. It was more dirty than I expected so 12,000 miles, like the manual states, is a good reference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gmsuv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gmsuv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gmsuv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
hand-filer

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsuv View Post
Did mine today as per your instruction which was dead accurate by the way. They should be changed once a year based on what mine looked like after 20,000k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hand-filer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #11
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

I live in long island, the filter on my ion and vue after one year are gray/black. I change mine in june after most of the spring pollen, if you change them in the fall i found out they tend to get moldy. I buy mine on www.acdelco.com and they are shiped right to my house.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIONSLVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIONSLVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #12
ar15
ar15 is on a distinguished road

Just replaced mine on my 2008 with 44K miles. It was filthy and black. I was surprised.

I was also surprised at the $45 cost for the new filter. ABSURD cost for a paper filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ar15's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ar15 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
hand-filer

2008 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15 View Post
Just replaced mine on my 2008 with 44K miles. It was filthy and black. I was surprised.

I was also surprised at the $45 cost for the new filter. ABSURD cost for a paper filter.
http://www.freshcabinair.com/

$22.98 for a 2 pack.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
Sweepspear
Sweepspear is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
Thumbs Up Re: Replaced the Cabin Air Filter (08 Vue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
freshcabinair.com

$22.98 for a 2 pack.
That's a great price!
I just received one I ordered from Rock auto.com where I paid $18.00 for a Fram filter.
I was ordering parts for another car, and added it to the order so shipping was really nothing.

Pricing seems to be all over the map for these filters.
Advance Auto Parts lists it on their website at over $40.00!
No way would I pay that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sweepspear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sweepspear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sweepspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
sonie_me
sonie_me is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
http://www.freshcabinair.com/

$22.98 for a 2 pack.
Thanks for the link. Ordered a 2 pack. I probably should have replaced it sooner based on what everyone else has experienced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sonie_me's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sonie_me reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sonie_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:52 PM   #16
Sweepspear
Sweepspear is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:

Ok, replaced the filter in our '08 last night,

There is no need to unhinge the glove box lid.

Remove 3 phillips head screws under glove box.
Open glove box and remove 3 phillips head screws.
Remove Glove box as a unit.
There are 2 (at least on mine) push style locating clips, 1 on the left & 1 on the right side that will still be holding the glove box in the dash. Just pull the box out, it'll be ok.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sweepspear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sweepspear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sweepspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
ted
ted is on a distinguished road

Everyone,
thanks for the info, replaced mine today with 19,800 miles. DEFINITELY needed to be replaced! Took 12 minutes start to finish so not too bad to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ted's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ted reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #18
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2

I replace mine at least once a year. I also "augment" mine by getting the carbon-impregnated air filter sheets at Home Depot, cutting to size, and using what amounts to gaffer's tape to tape the carbon filter sheet to the back side of the air filter.

On my '04, it takes me ~5 mins to pop the pop-rivets, pull up the panel, replace the filter, and reassemble. I found that a broad-tipped slotted screwdriver and a pair of needle-nose pliers works pretty well at removing the pop-rivets.

Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #19
stlrfan78
stlrfan78 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L
Mad Re: Replaced the Cabin Air Filter (08 Vue)

i just replaced mine as well....$10 on ebay .... but i thought it was a major pain in the butt to replace. the 6 screws were easy....the panel clips came undone kind of hard to pull the surround on the box out.

the right side clip on the air filter door broke right when i lifted it. (it closed tightly though and snapped shut after the new filter went in)

after i hooked my light and the switch back up, my light worked,but only for a few seconds. it came unhooked again on both the switch and the light,so i tried every way possible to hook em back up, and nothing....the light wont come on now. guess its going to the dealer before they close down !!!!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stlrfan78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stlrfan78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stlrfan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #20
stlrfan78
stlrfan78 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.5L

well, i got my light working...i took it all apart again,and twisted the bulb about 1/4 turn....it came right on.

so all in all....about 10-15 minutes to change the filter....

but i found the 2nd time you DO NOT need to unhinge the glove box on the bottom with the 2 black plastic pins.....just remove the 3 top screws and 3 bottom screws, and gently pull the plastic box surround from the top and unclick the plastic from the clips.

pretty easy from there, escept a plastic clip on the right side of the cabin filter housing broke off when i popped the cover open.

notice the reoccuring theme word in this post??? " PLASTIC" ....seems like the whole damn car is plastic !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stlrfan78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stlrfan78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stlrfan78 is offline   Reply With Quote