SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 08-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
shadowspar
shadowspar is on a distinguished road

Default squeaking brakes

my brakes squeak if i brake lightly, if i brake a little harder than moderately than they dont squeak. basically they squeak from the beginning to right before the middle of braking, when they reach middle to end of braking they dont squeak at all. what would cause that? also would that be covered under dealer warranty?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shadowspar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shadowspar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shadowspar is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2009, 12:38 AM   #2
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: squeaking brakes

Mine do this too. I always figured it was due to warped rotors, which I definitely have.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 01:36 AM   #3
linx3566
linx3566 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L
Happy Re: squeaking brakes

Mine also does the same. I have an appointment next week with the dealer to look at it. I think that the may have to change the pads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linx3566's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linx3566 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
linx3566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #4
newbievueowner
Advanced Member
newbievueowner is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line

It's likely just the summer heat. Mine do the light squeal as well now. When the temps are cooler it doesn't do it so...?

It's possible that the pads are glazed but that can be fixed fairly easily by just rouging the surface up with some 220 grit sandpaper.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #5
linx3566

2005 VUE 2.2L

Besides my 05 Vue, I have a 98 Rav4 and never had squeaking brakes. I think it is the quality of pads that is the cause of the squeaking and I intend to have the dealer replace them and see. I am not sure but that is the only answer I can come up with. Anyone got any other ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help linx3566 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #6
rollin_96
rollin_96 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
1994 SL2
Default Re: king brakes

Squeaking brakes, the cause is the pads are prolly worn down to squeal tab/scrapers found on any good brake pad. I like WAGNER pads for my ride. As for the dealer app/warranty ) save some money, 6 bolts and you're done. Thats 4 lugs and 2 caliper bolts plus a C-clamp to push the caliper bore back in. I would buy the calipers with mounting brackets.

Tweaked FSM http://www.mediafire.com/?ofliygqpep460un

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rollin_96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rollin_96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rollin_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
linx3566

2005 VUE 2.2L
Happy Re: king brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin_96 View Post
Squeaking brakes, the cause is the pads are prolly worn down to squeal tab/scrapers found on any good brake pad. I like WAGNER pads for my ride. As for the dealer app/warranty ) save some money, 6 bolts and you're done. Thats 4 lugs and 2 caliper bolts plus a C-clamp to push the caliper bore back in. I would buy the calipers with mounting brackets.
Pads are not worn, they just squeak and that is poor pad material in some instance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
newbievueowner
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: king brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by linx3566 View Post
Pads are not worn, they just squeak and that is poor pad material in some instance.
I have $100 Hawk HPS brake pads and mine squeak. I guess that means that they are poor material or crap? Oh well, I'll keep my crappy pads because they grab much better IMO when I get on the brakes HARD. A little light squeal will not bother me as it only does it in the high heat. When it cools off I don't get the squeals.

The easiest thing to do IMHO is wait for the temps to get lower and see if it goes away. If it's still there at say 40 or 50*F then the original poster may have another issue. It could be the pads don't have the anti-squeal backer plate built in. Do you use the orange goo on the caliper behind the pads?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #9
2003 Saturn Vue
2003 Saturn Vue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Hawk HPS pads aren't your "typical" street pad, but, they really shouldn't make noise either, hot or cold.

If your pads just started to squeal, and haven't squealed before, then something is going on to cause it. Either they got contaminated with something, or they've got some build up on the friction surfaces.

The cheapest potential fix is simply roughing up the pad and rotor surface, a scotchbrite pad rotodisc thing and a drill, and you're in business. Make sure the caliper guidepins are cleaned and lubed, and use a little anti-squeal. Re-bed them and see what happens.

If that doesn't fix the problem, time for new pads and maybe rotors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2003 Saturn Vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2003 Saturn Vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2003 Saturn Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
linx3566

2005 VUE 2.2L

Is it difficult to remove the pads for cleaning? anyone got the shop manual instructions and any special tools?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
newbievueowner
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

Real easy, a 3/4" socket, 14mm socket and ratchet/breaker bar are all that are really required.

Just be careful with the pistons as they are bakealite (a form of plastic) and can chip easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:47 AM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Is it difficult to remove the pads for cleaning? anyone got the shop manual instructions and any special tools?
A large "C" clamp is necessary - some folks might consider this a special tool.

I have the service manual file for replacing pads ... I can't post as it exceeds forum limits.

I'll email the file if you'll provide an address by PM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #13
bestharry
bestharry is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Idea Re: squeaking brakes

In todays market, you can buy many different varities/grades of pads depending on your personal preferences. I did some little research and experimentation with differnt pads with my VOLVO which had squeeking brakes and they are known for that. I have read 'if brakes dont sqeek, then its not a volvo' kind of phrases. First of all, warping has nothing related to squeeking brakes other then that its easier to warp the rotors if you are using hard material brake pads and do heavy braking.
In short, I bought high quality performance rotors and mettalic brake pads (Expensive) and installed them after my brakes were squeeking and pads were down to the limit (no warping of any kind). Brake paddle was very nice but comparatively very hard as compared to OEM brake pads. No or very less brake dust so my rims were clean for longer times. After few weeks, replace the pads with softer material (cheapest stuff from 'parts source') and teh brakes were very soft and smooth with 'what a brake' kind of feeling. Next week, my rims were all brown and black with brake dust. Went on 500Kms trip came back and my beutiful Rims look like as if they were never cleaned. So, I bought Ceramic pads and brake was everage but the squeek at low speed started. Added a half shim (I think its a solution to known quirk) and the noise went away.
Having said that,I will prefer to install the cheap soft material brakes in future to enjoy the smooth, soft and squeakless brakes witha compromise on brake dust increase.
THIS IS ALL FROM MY EXPERIENCE -YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY

Harry in Toronto with:
2003 Saturn Vue 2.2 Manual - (Not so) Recent edition
1997 Volvo 850 wagon - Love this Black box (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bestharry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bestharry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bestharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
linx3566

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestharry View Post
In todays market, you can buy many different varities/grades of pads depending on your personal preferences. I did some little research and experimentation with differnt pads with my VOLVO which had squeeking brakes and they are known for that. I have read 'if brakes dont sqeek, then its not a volvo' kind of phrases. First of all, warping has nothing related to squeeking brakes other then that its easier to warp the rotors if you are using hard material brake pads and do heavy braking.
In short, I bought high quality performance rotors and mettalic brake pads (Expensive) and installed them after my brakes were squeeking and pads were down to the limit (no warping of any kind). Brake paddle was very nice but comparatively very hard as compared to OEM brake pads. No or very less brake dust so my rims were clean for longer times. After few weeks, replace the pads with softer material (cheapest stuff from 'parts source') and teh brakes were very soft and smooth with 'what a brake' kind of feeling. Next week, my rims were all brown and black with brake dust. Went on 500Kms trip came back and my beutiful Rims look like as if they were never cleaned. So, I bought Ceramic pads and brake was everage but the squeek at low speed started. Added a half shim (I think its a solution to known quirk) and the noise went away.
Having said that,I will prefer to install the cheap soft material brakes in future to enjoy the smooth, soft and squeakless brakes witha compromise on brake dust increase.
THIS IS ALL FROM MY EXPERIENCE -YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY
I believe what you have said is the main reason for brake squeaking. The material has a lot to do with it as you have stated. I intend to replace my pads with the cheap/softer ones soon because right now I have the mettalic ones. Cheers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #15
2003 Saturn Vue
2003 Saturn Vue is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I believe what you have said is the main reason for brake squeaking. The material has a lot to do with it as you have stated. I intend to replace my pads with the cheap/softer ones soon because right now I have the mettalic ones. Cheers
Beware "cheap" pads. Some of them squeal no matter what you do. Best to ask the parts guy what the real deal is, do they or dont they squeal.

There's a trade off when it comes to pad material, braking performance, and pedal feel. There is no "awesome pad". You give up something to get something else. OE pads on my other car have great cold bite, don't squeak, have a smooth pedal feel but dust like mothers....they also eat factory rotors like there's no tomorrow. Another car, even older, was about the same only brakes lasted 15K miles under normal conditions.

The Vue has Monroe pads, and they feel totally different than OE. Braking performance is about the same, very little dust, but have "cement" feel in the pedal that OEs didn't have.

I have Hawk ceramics on my other car, and after a very strange bed-in / break-in, they've settled in nicely after 500 or so miles. Again, no appreciable dust, zero noise, but a vastly different pedal feel than OE.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2003 Saturn Vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2003 Saturn Vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2003 Saturn Vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #16
Bismarck318
Advanced Member
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: squeaking brakes (rear)

I'm having a problems with the rear squeaking... when I let it sit over night to any lenght of time they make quite a bit of noise on the first few stops.. the noise seems to lessen to almost nothing the more it's driven.

Worn rear pads?? 73K, yet I have never had to replace rear brakes on any vehicle under 100K other than from contamination.the front pads were new when I purchased 3K ago.

Can the drums simply be pulled off, or is the rear drums on with the dust cap bearing (locknut & cotter pin) assembly?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #17
newbievueowner
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

Just have to pull the rear drum off.

The issue will be if they have not been removed in a long time there will be a ridge on the inside of the drum that will make them difficult to remove. You may have to go in through the access slot in the backer plate and loosen the self adjuster before they will come off. That's what I had to do with mine as there was a 1/16" ridge (looks like the drums had not been removed in a while).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!