SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
mlambert77
mlambert77 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Question Did MMO soak and have more white smoke than before?

I have a 99 SL2 and last weekend I did the MMO soak. I started it Friday night, and ended up being dragged to a wedding Saturday, so the MMO actually sat for about 24 hours. Put the rags in, started it up, put them back in and started them a second time. Started the car and drove it around the block and there was some white smoke, but not that much.

Then came home and changed the oil, which was the blackest I had ever seen it. The past few days though, I've had a lot of white smoke. More smoke than I had before. I checked my oil levels and everything is still good, but I can't figure out why so much smoke.

Trying to figure out why it's smoking more now than before. Maybe I need to change the oil again?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mlambert77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mlambert77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mlambert77 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default Re: Did MMO soak and have more white smoke than before?

*sometimes* carbon build-up can act as a mask on another problem. for instance, i once had a car that was getting crummy gas mileage. i ran some injector cleaner through it, which did clean the injectors. problem was there was buildup on one injector that was acting as a plug on aa leak in that injector.

just a thought. personally, i'd give it good long drive (but close to home ) and keep an eye on oil and coolant levels, and monitor the smoke.

1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorisSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Skyshatter
Skyshatter is on a distinguished road

White smoke usually isn't Oil related. It's coolant that's leaking in and being burned. If it's persisting after the MMO and not going away I'd start watching the coolant really closely to see if it's leaking out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Skyshatter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Skyshatter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Skyshatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

you put something into your car's engine that had the word, "mystery" on the label and you expected positive results?!

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
groingo
groingo is on a distinguished road

White smoke is never a good thing, pop your oil filler cap and check for a milky white residue, check your fluid levels and pull your spark plugs and check for rust deposits on the electrodes.

If it continues it sounds like a head gasket is getting ready to unload, but if not then just keep driving it and see what happens, may just be residue from the cleaning solution.

94 Saturn SW1 (Cash for Clunkers Reject....no kidding)
96 SL2 (Rescued)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to groingo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help groingo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
groingo is offline   Reply With Quote