SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
Diezeltitan08
Diezeltitan08 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2002 SL1
Default Need Major Help With Mods sl2 dohc

I have a 98 sl2 with a DOHC and i have a cold air intake and an exaust system giving me about 10-15 bhp. i know the p/s delete with a/c delete gives a lil more go and i was wondering if there are any side effects to running with no p/s. Other than the obvious inconveniances of course lol( cant turn). Is it possible for it to damage my pinion or steering rack in any way? And does anyone know if a msd system is worth the money because i have one on my cadillac but its a distributed system v-8 so of course its gonna give that more power but im hearing that on sl2's it doesnt give much performance boost. Im tring to keep it a daily driver but destroy those pesky v-tecs that my friends have...ps any other mods out there let me know im looking for cheap but efficient power

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diezeltitan08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diezeltitan08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Diezeltitan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2009, 05:02 AM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Need Major Help With Mods sl2 dohc

The majority of aftermarket ignition systems, from what I can tell, put out LESS power then our stock system. Kinda odd, but there you go. I think the AC Delco stuff has the highest output but I could be wrong.

It's much easier to turn a manual rack in a parking lot then a power rack with the pump disconnected. I've done both and other then the manual rack having a large turning radius I like it better then the power rack minus pump. If you change from a power rack to a manual rack you also need to change the yoke that connects the steering column to the rack, the connections are either different between manual and power or they changed year to year.

I'm mostly finished with swapping engines and transmissions (getting my '93 to the proper 5spd) and dropped the stock flywheel when I removed it from the engine. I had just removed the 8lb Fidenza from the '93's engine and wasn't expecting it to be "freaking heavy" Not everyone notices a difference with the lightweight flywheel but I did.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

LOL, an intake/exhaust combo will not give you 10-15 hp. More like 2-3 hp.
Cheap and efficient (in the short term) = nitrous. Forget the ignition stuff until you're running boost, and even then it doesn't do much for you.

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo
MSnS-E fuel & spark controlled @ 17-20 psi (methanol injected)
Fully forged, P&P head and manifolds, FSR turbo cams, balanced to 9k RPM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3070918

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic torpedo View Post
Cheap and efficient (in the short term) = nitrous. Forget the ignition stuff until you're running boost, and even then it doesn't do much for you.
Should be somewhere in between, though it depends on what the exhaust setup is.

With the steering: you have the option of looping the lines on your power rack, or swapping to a manual rack. The manual rack will be easier to turn, but takes more turns lock-to-lock.

I would suggest a SAFC2 & WBO2. It should give you more gains than your intake or exhaust, and will help you make the most of any bolt ons you may use.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #5
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member
d3ad1ysp0rk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I disagree with this. If we were driving s2000s with perfectly tuned intakes and exhausts from the factory this may be true, but we're not, and a full exhaust and a good intake can net you some gains, although small.

Your biggest factor is going to be tuning. I'd buy a wideband and SAFC or megasquirt before anything else.

T3/T4, built motor, coilovers, rear disc, audio setup, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d3ad1ysp0rk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d3ad1ysp0rk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d3ad1ysp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
Diezeltitan08

1998 SL2
2002 SL1

Quote:
I actually have a custom quad exaust with independent pipes for each cylinder...bet you havent seen that yet lol and my intake is a spectre running sraight off my throttle body with a underbody scoop feeding it lots of cool air haha with two flowmasters with dual in/out...i think i get 10-15...i win lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Diezeltitan08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Where do you fit four pipes under the car? Pics?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #8
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diezeltitan08 View Post
i think i get 10-15...i win lol
I'd like to see some dyno sheets myself.

You'll find that the butt-dyno and ear-dyno are pretty inaccurate

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #9
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Where do you fit four pipes under the car? Pics?
+1

I would also like some proof. Until then by BS flag will wave.

And yep, you're right, we haven't seen four pipes yet because it's a waste of resources. Anything larger than a single 2.25" ID exhaust pipe for N/A use is pointless. Just think of all the weight you've added by running four pipes all the way back, adding another muffler, and the stuff supporting your exhaust.

Also, an under body scoop is also pointless since the fresh air will have to run by your four exhaust pipes (and the rest of the aluminum engine) and get quite warm before it reaches your cone filter.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 170K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 155K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Diezeltitan08

1998 SL2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
+1

I would also like some proof. Until then by BS flag will wave.

And yep, you're right, we haven't seen four pipes yet because it's a waste of resources. Anything larger than a single 2.25" ID exhaust pipe for N/A use is pointless. Just think of all the weight you've added by running four pipes all the way back, adding another muffler, and the stuff supporting your exhaust.

Also, an under body scoop is also pointless since the fresh air will have to run by your four exhaust pipes (and the rest of the aluminum engine) and get quite warm before it reaches your cone filter.
I did do it but ive never thought about the extra wieght and heat added, guess i jus started doin stuff cuz i have access to a steel palnt worker lol he made the exaust for me and there is surprisingly a lot of room after your remove the cooling fan...jus dont get caught in trffic haha but...you think it would be better for jus headers leading to a 2.25? i can probably fit that in my budget but i was figuring my hp was 10-15 because we start of with 124...give or take a few for how many miles i have so i prolly have like 120 since i take care of my car...and my friend has a 98 b16 or b18(cant remember) civic and i smoke him by like 2 cars acceleration wise and i know are cars arent big on acceleration so i figured i had a better p/w ratio and 10-15 seemed to fit that theory because he has been dynoed at 156 hp so maybe he jus cant drive a stick but he cant beat my sl2...ima put sum pics on my car domain soon with the link, but sumone stole my saturn and when i got it back my camera was gone...so pics will be up when i steal my gf's for a while lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
alex14
alex14 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

removing the cooling fan is dumb.

Purple 95 SC2 man.-work in progress.
Black 98 SC2 auto-SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alex14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alex14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alex14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #12
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Quote:
I did do it but ive never thought about the extra wieght and heat added, guess i jus started doin stuff cuz i have access to a steel palnt worker lol he made the exaust for me and there is surprisingly a lot of room after your remove the cooling fan...jus dont get caught in trffic haha but...you think it would be better for jus headers leading to a 2.25? i can probably fit that in my budget but i was figuring my hp was 10-15 because we start of with 124...give or take a few for how many miles i have so i prolly have like 120 since i take care of my car...and my friend has a 98 b16 or b18(cant remember) civic and i smoke him by like 2 cars acceleration wise and i know are cars arent big on acceleration so i figured i had a better p/w ratio and 10-15 seemed to fit that theory because he has been dynoed at 156 hp so maybe he jus cant drive a stick but he cant beat my sl2...ima put sum pics on my car domain soon with the link, but sumone stole my saturn and when i got it back my camera was gone...so pics will be up when i steal my gf's for a while lol
can someone translate?

1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorisSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorisSL View Post
can someone translate?
Quote:
I never thought about the heat and extra weight I added by not thinking my modifications through.

I just started modifying stuff because I know a guy who can work with steel. He made the exhaust for me.

There is a surprising amount of room after I removed the cooling fan, another modification which I didn't think through. Just don't get caught in traffic!

Do you think it would be better for just headers leading to a 2.25 DIA exhaust? Because I can always trust the internet to give me good advice

I was figuring my HP gain was 10-15, because we start with 124, give or take a few for how many miles are on the car. I probably have 120 HP because I maintain my car well, except for the part where I removed my 5 lb cooling fan to make room for 40 lbs of metal exhaust tubing.

I also estimated the HP gain based my friend having a '98 Civic with a b16 or b18 (can't remember which one) and I smoke him by two car lengths when accelerating. Everyone knows that taking two different drivers of unknown skill racing two different cars of unknown weight and only knowing the power of one car, over a course of undetermined length, is a good way to estimate HP gains from modifcations.

I know our cars aren't big on acceleration, so I figured I had a better power/weight ratio and a 10 to 15 HP gain fits that theory. His car has been dynoed at 156 HP, so maybe he just can't drive a stick, which would render any point I'm trying to make by racing him a totally pointless endeavor, especially estimating HP gains.

I'm going to put some pics on my CarDomain soon and post the link, but someone stole my Saturn. When I got it back, my camera was gone. So I'll put up some pics when I steal my girlfriend's camera for a while.
Just trying to be helpful

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #14
alordofchaos

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex14 View Post
removing the cooling fan is dumb.
No way, man, it gives me 5-10 HP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
No way, man, it gives me 5-10 HP
Which is helpful for those 3 miles before you have to pull over to avoid overheating.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
Which is helpful for those 3 miles before you have to pull over to avoid overheating.
Dude, didnt you know, just DON'T STOP and you'll be fine!

"Speed VII, Satty without a cooling fan!!!"

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #17
strn365
strn365 is on a distinguished road

na remove the cooling fan lighten the weigh og the car cut down on the load from the alternator. next mod should be removing all the water and cooling componets from the car bet you will gain like 100hp from it. Ok seriously saturn put the fan on there for a reason leave it alone

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strn365's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strn365 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strn365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #18
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo
MSnS-E fuel & spark controlled @ 17-20 psi (methanol injected)
Fully forged, P&P head and manifolds, FSR turbo cams, balanced to 9k RPM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3070918

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #19
Diezeltitan08

1998 SL2
2002 SL1

Im not trying to start any kind of arguments thats not what im about. I jus want to know a couple mods to make my car get up and go. Its already moving pretty nice with the things ive done but thats light DIY stuff.

Im investing in a piggyback soon and hope that will help ( Thanks Purdueguy) and some lower profile tires for better acceleration...(less tire runout i heard correct me if im wrong)

saturns are pretty good about not overheating without a fan long as its not like 90 and ur standing still but i live in Michigan so i dont have to worry about that lol.

Only bad news is ived lightend up in the front so much i hope it still works nice in the snow...i hate driving my caddy(93 Fleetwood Brougham with 87 LT-1 329BHP-DYNO'd At Wheels...idk crank 14.98et...14 MPG lol )since ive got 30mpg now lol

but im open for mods/tricks that anyone knows, im hoping for a 14/15 sec car that i can drive every day...

my best ET is 15.86 with everything out the car...carpet trunk accessories pass seat and rear seats and my interior stripped.... idk how much my wing weighs but i like it so its staying lol...thanks everyone for the help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #20
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL

Quote:
idk how much my wing weighs but i like it so its staying lol...thanks everyone for the help
let me get this straight...
you took out your cooling fan to save weight and space... then you put a wing on a front wheel drive car?

just checking.

1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorisSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote