SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
SC Saturn Owner
SC Saturn Owner is on a distinguished road

Default urgent help needed. 2004 saturn ion

I just used our Saturn Ion to jump start a dead car battery in a Jaguar XJ-S. After that, my wife moved the car (saturn) out of the way and into our yard. I now went to move the saturn over some and when I put the key in it was dead, and now I can't even get the key out and I can't shift the gearstick out of park and into anything else. I tried turning the steering wheel thinking sometimes I've seen it where it gets locked and that does it. no luck. I need to move this car very soon!

Also for what its worth... I hooked the cables to the saturn first, and it was not running. But the cables that were to be put on the dead battery briefly touched each other but then it was able to jump start the dead battery. Is there any chance I might have shorted it out? it did drive after this happened when my wife moved it into the yard but once she turned it off it wont start now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC Saturn Owner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC Saturn Owner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC Saturn Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #2
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

Default Re: urgent help needed. 2004 saturn ion

Is the battery still the delco freedom battery? O.e. Batteries only last like three to four years on average some last 6+ on rare occasions. Jumping cars destroys the alternator of the car you are jumping from. I was told this by a good friend who was a service manger at ford.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIONSLVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIONSLVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
SC Saturn Owner

its whatever battery came in the car I assume becase she bought the car used but only 11,000 miles or so. Does this explain why the key won't come out of the ignition though?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SC Saturn Owner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #4
SC Saturn Owner

OK I got the keys out by using that little button under the steering colum but car still won't show any signs of life, so should I first just put a new battery in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Get the battery tested before buying one. If its the original one its 5yrs old and most likely on the fence and can go either way. Does your battery sit in the back of the car too? If so, you may have to look over the cable ends to be sure they're not corroded and contributing to power problems.

The alternator being ruined from jump starting can't be proven as the battery is the storage device and the boost battery (when connected properly) provides the OOOMPH for the jump start, provided the booster cables are not the wimpy cheap $10 ones. A relatively expensive set of large gauge (4-gauge) booster cables, no matter how seldom they're used, provides almost an instant BOOST as the current goes directly from the boost battery through the large gauge cables to act as if the boost battery were in the dead battery's car. There's a reason why commercial tow drivers carry the heavy duty cables; less time wasted trying to charge a battery with cheap booster cables when large gauge cables provide instantaneous current to the dead battery as well as start a dead car. I know, I stole my brother's Sears 4-gauge booster cables years ago. Very flexible and provides instant boosting compared to the cheap cables. Those cables probably cost $30+ (25yrs ago) and now cost much more. My brother doesn't own a car. Go figure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
SC Saturn Owner

this is the original AC Delco battery, I went and checked. So I guess it's possible that the jump might have killed the battery? It started the car well before today and even after the cables touched and had that little spark, the saturn started and was able to be driven but just won't do a single thing now. i can't even use the clicker on the keychain to lock the doors.

The battery is in the trunk but the connections look good as far as I can see.

If I fried the ECU do you think that's going be a huge repair bill?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Heh-heh, GM engineering designed our electronic fuel injection systems for the eventuality of real world events like shorting out batteries. It would take a lot more than a battery short to kill ECM's (but much less for the BCM's to fail ). I wouldn't worry about the ECM as much as the battery may have buckled internally from the quickie short. Stuff happens and we learn from mistakes but I would think the battery was on its way out and the little short may have did it in. Have it tested at your favorite auto store. Who knows, maybe all it needs is a good overnight charge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #8
SC Saturn Owner

OK will do, I just wanted to make sure before I go to the trouble of taking it out... I dont know why they make it so hard to take out the batteries in these cars!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

they corrode less, add balance to the car, and is unlikely to get damaged in a crash (makes a fire/explosion hazard) being in the trunk.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
SC Saturn Owner

problem fixed!! battery was fine, but when I put it back in, I guess the connections werent too secure and it started right up!! thanks guys!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
crystal scan
Advanced Member
crystal scan is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Saturn Owner View Post
problem fixed!! battery was fine, but when I put it back in, I guess the connections werent too secure and it started right up!! thanks guys!
thats good everything worked out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crystal scan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crystal scan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crystal scan is offline   Reply With Quote