SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default AutoPacific: Study Suggests Americans Open to Vehicles from China and India

A new story entry has been added:

AutoPacific: Study Suggests Americans Open to Vehicles from China and India

Quote:
Newly released research shows 15% of new car buyers in the United States say they would consider purchasing their next vehicle from China, and 11% would consider buying a car from India, without knowing specific brands or vehicles. This compares with 16% who said they would consider a vehicle from Korea, which has been marketing vehicles in the U. S. since the 1980s.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: AutoPacific: Study Suggests Americans Open to Vehicles from China and India

Quote:
The study shows Chinese and Indian considerers are more likely to currently own Japanese and Korean brands, indicating that these brands may have the most competition from the new entries, rather than domestic brands like Chrysler, Ford and GM. The study also revealed that while those who would consider a car from China and India rate reliability and durability high, they are not as interested in the dynamics of a vehicle like handling, braking and acceleration.
i.e. they're buying an appliance to get from Point A to Point B. Hyundai and KIA are in particular trouble, as all they sell on now is price. If the under-cutters get under-cut, they're toast.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
sparky741
sparky741 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2004 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: AutoPacific: Study Suggests Americans Open to Vehicles from China and India

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
i.e. they're buying an appliance to get from Point A to Point B. Hyundai and KIA are in particular trouble, as all they sell on now is price.
Exactly! Every time I see these stupid surveys about Chinese garbage coming here and how people would buy it, I have to think of this:

Happy car shopping!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sparky741's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sparky741 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sparky741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #4
linuxdude
linuxdude is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default How will Americans with no jobs buy any cars at all?

I have to wonder, when every last job has been offshored to China, India, Somalia, Iraq and Egypt.. when the typical American has no money left...how will people *buy* these cars ?

There used to be the 200 year old free trade theory from economist David Ricardo that via comparative advantage, different countries would just specialize in different things and all would be well. But Ricardo's exact theory explicitly assumed that money would be immobile, so that capital would be reinvested in industries where a country had the best edge. Ricardo's theory was that English pounds couldn't be easily invested in , say, Portugal, so English industrialists would keep investing in England until they hit the right industry where England was "least worst". Ricardo's work is the foundation of the assertion "free trade is always best for everyone"

But that assumption no longer applies, since (obviously) money now moves overseas at the speed of pushing a button. Even for me as a worker bee I can invest all my money overseas pretty easily if I want to. If China or India is cheaper at everything, then every bit of investment capital will zip over there, nothing will remain to be invested in new industries here.

So I don't really buy the vague promise that "something will come up" and we'll somehow be able to pay for these cars. Or much anything else.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to linuxdude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help linuxdude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
linuxdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 PM   #5
saturn 51
saturn 51 is on a distinguished road

This is what i have been saying for years,Im so disguested seeing 8 out of 10 cars on the road not from the big three. The imigration to Canada and other countries has begun by americans with enough money to get out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn 51's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn 51 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Newly released research shows 15% of new car buyers in the United States say they would consider purchasing their next vehicle from China, and 11% would consider buying a car from India, without knowing specific brands or vehicles. This compares with 16% who said they would consider a vehicle from Korea, which has been marketing vehicles in the U. S. since the 1980s.
these folks need to sit in the Chinese cars that was at the Detroit Auto Show this year. it was scary how badly made some of those cars were. some of them looked OK because their designs were copied from other automakers but when you got up close and personal you would not want to drive them. the Tata Nano should scare anyone away from a car from India. Hyundai made some crap in the 1980s too. Remember the Excel? maybe in 20 years China and India will sort it out.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member
Col.FUBAR is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
these folks need to sit in the Chinese cars that was at the Detroit Auto Show this year. it was scary how badly made some of those cars were. some of them looked OK because their designs were copied from other automakers but when you got up close and personal you would not want to drive them. the Tata Nano should scare anyone away from a car from India. Hyundai made some crap in the 1980s too. Remember the Excel? maybe in 20 years China and India will sort it out.
+1 with the auto show part. The last one I had a chance to go to was in 07' and I saw some of the "new" Chinese cars there. They looked horrible. You'd figure if they made all the effort to come to America, and DETROIT no less where the big 3 started they would bring their biggest and best effort to show how amazing their cars are. The cars had runs in the paint, the interiors were awful and looked like they were crapped out of some plastic injection machine and then went through no QC whatsoever. There were huge gaps on one panel and tiny ones on the next. The whole car just fit together "wrong".

It seems that nowadays no one gives two s**ts about where the things they buy come from. I seem especially annoyed by this since my dad works for GM and I live in Michigan (highest unemployment in the country, woo-hoo ) Everyone seems to give American car companies (yes, not just GM) crap because, even though I like American car companies, I admit, they really screwed up in the 80's. No one seems to be able to get over that fact for some reason. However, look at Japanese cars in the 60's and early 70's, no one wanted to touch those piles with a 10ft pole. Somehow people got over this real quickly but they can't seem to get the idea that American automatically = crap cars.

I wonder if it would be different if every one of these people would be staring down an unemployment line because their job or product could be made cheaper or people would like it "better" if it were made overseas.

My $0.02

EDIT: Also, I would like to add that I will go out of my way to buy stuff made in the US . However, sometime it is unavoidable and I have to buy something from China . Consider me one of the 85% who WOULDN'T consider a car from China or India.

Former DD: 1994 SC2 5spd. 190K, being sold to a friend

2005 Saturn ION 2 5spd. 73K

1995 Aquamarine SL2
1.9L DOHC 5spd. ~125K Miles

Last edited by Col.FUBAR; 08-08-2009 at 12:30 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Col.FUBAR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Col.FUBAR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Col.FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #8
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
20 years isn't that long, and it won't take the Chinese 20 years to "sort it out"

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
rossao1
Advanced Member
rossao1 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Here is a word from 20 years ago.

YUGO.

Cheaper does not equal better. Remember.

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of price is gone."

A Saturn owner since 10/91.
'92 SC, '91 SL2, 95 SW1, '06 ION3
other car- '02 Expedition 5.4L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rossao1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rossao1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rossao1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #10
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Sorry, I think the headline and the statistics in the article contradict each other. Everyone would agree that <20% is not a majority. LOL

Perhaps the percentages given are cumulative?

Personally, I don't think I'd have a problem with purchasing a car that was built over there. However, I would be willing to pay a little bit more for a car built domestically.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
TiVoPrince
TiVoPrince is on a distinguished road

Considering
a vehicle is not the same as making someones 'short list'. When considering my Vue purchase the Scion Xb was an early candidate, but never made it to my eventual 'finalists' page. Being priced $10k US less than others it had to be considered just to know that I was not ignoring a thifty option causing regret later.
Becoming the low price benchmark will get some customers motivated to visit your dealership but if the quality of build is not there, installing a revolving door could be necessary...

Perhaps this study is finding exactly what the sponsor wanted/needed/expected. Extracting this data from a 'study' without knowing how the questions were phrased, candidates selected or spin factor by the questioner makes the data cited in the article nearly meaningless to me...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TiVoPrince's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TiVoPrince reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TiVoPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
AstraNorth
AstraNorth is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Unfortunately...living in Canada, almost everything we buy is foreign (we would consider American goods foreign) ..but, one of the worst places to buy anything is Walmart, which I avoid all together. I bet you a three quarters of the stuff they sell is not from the U.S. or Canada. I will go anywhere else and pay a few bucks more, then to shop at Walmart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraNorth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraNorth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:06 AM   #13
mike08vue
mike08vue is on a distinguished road

Thats why I LOVE polls and pollsters!!! Who else can take a poll and get a small percentage of agreeing votes and then report that "A number of people polled would do/like/vote,etc. whatever the pollsters are advocating without telling how small the percentage is (except in the fine print).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mike08vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mike08vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mike08vue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #14
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

hurray, a sweatshop engine that'll blow up on you in three days , hurray, crash test results WORSE than a smart car

yeah, tbh china and india are the LAST places I'd ever buy a vehicle from. I'd even trust Hyundai over a china or india car.

but, I'd get me an American made car. Guess it seems America can't make things anymore.

on another note, chinese food is good (unless you're eating cats or dogs of course.)

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #15
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

"AutoPacific: Study Suggests Americans Open to Vehicles from China and India"

Particularly those who have emigrated from China and India ...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #16
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
on another note, chinese food is good (unless you're eating cats or dogs of course.)
"Chinese" food isn't really Chinese, it all started in California

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #17
davidsky
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooler King View Post
"AutoPacific: Study Suggests Americans Open to Vehicles from China and India"

Particularly those who have emigrated from China and India ...
or people with little money

REWARD EXCELLENCE!