SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
Neutron
Neutron is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
2001 SW1
Default recommended Minneapolis-area repair/modification shops?

My 1994 Saturn SL2 is in need of a few repairs and I would like to know if there are any Minneapolis-area shops that fellow Saturn owners would recommend - shops other than the area Saturn dealers?

One of the things I want done is the auto-transmission valve body replacement to cure the "reverse slam". From what I've read on the forum, 100s of dollars can be saved if you can avoid having the dealer do this replacement.

The other thing is to have my dash instrument panel and theater lights replaced with LED lights. If I can pay someone to do this that has already done it before, I'd prefer that over disassembling the dash myself.

Over the life of my SL2, I've only trusted the Saturn dealers to perform repairs. If there are other shops who also deserve my trust, I'd like to know about them!

Thanks very much!
Eric

1994 SL2 Automatic AC 220,500 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Neutron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Neutron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: recommended Minneapolis-area repair/modification shops?

Unless you are all thumbs you can do the valve body yourself. The LED job is a bit more complex because almost every cluster is a bit different between generations and sometimes even model years and this makes identifying the correct LED replacement assemblies a bit difficult in advance. Getting the cluster out is not a horrid job either. I think the 94 would be one of the more straight forward clusters to change over to LED lights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2
Default Re: recommended Minneapolis-area repair/modification shops?

+1, DIY. Trust yourself

how to remove the instrument cluster, courtesy of Low Saturn:
http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...94cluster.html

If you can operate a screwdriver, looks like you should be able to do this. Use sealable plastic bags and label them to keep your loose screws and bolts.

What I sometimes do, since I am somewhat of a mechanical noob and don't know what everything is called, is just number the bags. First bag of screws for one area is labelled " 1 ," next bag is labelled " 2 ", etc. When reassembling, just go in reverse order.

For electrical connections, wrap a piece of tape on each end when disconnecting and label each end " A " for the first one, "B" for the second, etc. When reassembling, A goes to A, etc.

By going this route (and with OldNuc's & others' help) I've replaced a drive axle (I'm still a little fuzzy on some of the names of the pieces ) and am about 60% done with a timing chain replacement.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote