SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
mlambert77
mlambert77 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Question How long can I drive with a coke can gasket under my EGR valve?

I have a 99 SL2, 160k miles on it. Today after filling up, it started lurching and when I went below 1500 RPM the engine really bucked and eventually died. I had to put the car in neutral and keep the RPM's above 2000 at lights/stop signs.

I went to Autozone, they pulled the code and said bad EGR. I took it off so they could test it with a 9v battery, and sure enough, the pindle never moved.

I just watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YRq2Xl58Oo&NR=1 on how to check the EGR valve from Richpin, and he said to cut a coke can, and make a gasket and put it under the EGR and if it runs smooth, you know for sure. (at the 5:30 mark is where you'll see what I'm talking about).
My question: I don't get paid until next week. How bad will it mess up my car if I drive with the coke can gasket in between the EGR valve and regular gasket?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mlambert77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mlambert77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mlambert77 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: How long can I drive with a coke can gasket under my EGR valve?

You can drive that way until you get tired of the SES light. Eventually the hot exhaust gas will eat a hole through the can. That takes about a week.

You might want to invest in a can or 2 of carb cleaner and give that valve a good cleaning if the pintle will not move when you poke on it with a screw driver. It sounds like your valve is sticking open so a good cleaning will fix it, maybe. And, if you have an option between an aftemarket EGR valve and a good used one from a local J/Y go with the J/Y. You have to use an EGR from a 99 and newer car, the DOHC and SOHC are the same part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
mlambert77

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
You can drive that way until you get tired of the SES light. Eventually the hot exhaust gas will eat a hole through the can. That takes about a week.

You might want to invest in a can or 2 of carb cleaner and give that valve a good cleaning if the pintle will not move when you poke on it with a screw driver. It sounds like your valve is sticking open so a good cleaning will fix it, maybe. And, if you have an option between an aftemarket EGR valve and a good used one from a local J/Y go with the J/Y. You have to use an EGR from a 99 and newer car, the DOHC and SOHC are the same part.
Ok, thanks. I normally drive about 15-20 miles a day, so a week is perfect really. I cleaned the pintle once this weekend actually, and then today this happened. I hope I didn't mess it up when I cleaned it last.

I sprayed it with some carb cleaner and used a toothbrush to brush it basically. Would it be better to spay some carb cleaner into a bowl and let the pintle soak for awhile?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mlambert77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
93SC2'in
93SC2'in is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

what are the long term affects of driving without a operational egr or a blocked one? should be the question

93 SC2, 5-speed, <dead and gone>
95 SL2 5-speed, oem header, gsi TB, sprint 2.0, kyb gr2's, wb02, SAFCII, CAI, 17"s
---------------
Speed Kills - save lives, Drive a honda

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93SC2'in's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93SC2'in reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93SC2'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #5
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Do you have to do an emissions test? That can be a limiting factor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
rsg3
rsg3 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
if you have an option between an aftemarket EGR valve and a good used one from a local J/Y go with the J/Y. You have to use an EGR from a 99 and newer car, the DOHC and SOHC are the same part.
Isn't the '95-'99 valve the same part? They're the same number in RockAuto's catalog. The part number they list is different for '00 and up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rsg3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rsg3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rsg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
mlambert77

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
Do you have to do an emissions test? That can be a limiting factor.
No, we don't have one here. I cleaned the pintle last night. I had cleaned it before, but never realized how to clean it thoroughly until reading about 40 posts on the topics here. It still shudders a bit when accelerating from a stop or around 40mph, but hasn't stopped at red lights/stop signs/etc yet. If it keeps up though, I might do the coke can test.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you like, stick two coins in place instead of the soda can gasket. The coins last longer.

And a few have left this blocking gasket, using coins or sheet metal, for long term blocking without any damage to the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
mlambert77

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
If you like, stick two coins in place instead of the soda can gasket. The coins last longer.

And a few have left this blocking gasket, using coins or sheet metal, for long term blocking without any damage to the engine.
Going to sound stupid, but any coins, or dimes (since they're thinner than nickles/quarters).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

I believe that 2 nickels were used. If you clean it it and it still does not function correctly block it off and see what happens. It is possible you have a different problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg3 View Post
Isn't the '95-'99 valve the same part? They're the same number in RockAuto's catalog. The part number they list is different for '00 and up.
You are right, 95-99 are the same, changed for the 2000 model and up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!