SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
ems1
ems1 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default ABS/Traction Control Lights

I have the ABS & TC lights coming on in the instrument cluster. I'm out or warranty. I had this problem before, while under warranty, and it was one of the wheel sensors. I don't have a problem checking the sensors but don't know what to look for. Are they just a switch normally open or closed or something more complicated? Anyone know if these sensors are available after market or do I have to go to the dealer?

Thanks

'06 3.5 FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ems1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ems1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ems1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: ABS/Traction Control Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by ems1 View Post
I have the ABS & TC lights coming on in the instrument cluster. I'm out or warranty. I had this problem before, while under warranty, and it was one of the wheel sensors. I don't have a problem checking the sensors but don't know what to look for. Are they just a switch normally open or closed or something more complicated? Anyone know if these sensors are available after market or do I have to go to the dealer?

Thanks
ems1 ... I've never messed with ABS/TC circuits on my 05 Vue but have attached a few diagrams for you to survey (from 05 service manual).

You'll note from the schematics there's a rotating part which induces a signal into the stationary part ...

I believe I've heard the wheel sensors should measure a few ohms between the two leads ... I doubt if you'll see a short (0 ohms) but trouble mode is more likely an open (infinity ohms).

I'm hopeful that other ... more qualified ... folks will soon weigh-in.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 05 Vue - Wheel Sensor Schematic.pdf (113.5 KB, 195 views)
File Type: pdf 05 Vue Whl Sensor - Frnt.pdf (77.4 KB, 156 views)
File Type: pdf 05 Vue Whl Sensor - Rear.pdf (89.1 KB, 102 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
ems1

2006 VUE 3.5L

Thanks far2grumpy. The drawings were a big help. The part looks easy enough to replace. I just have to figure which one is the problem. I did some research and these sensors sometimes need to be cleaned because of brake dust. I'll try that and see if that works then move on.

'06 3.5 FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ems1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ems1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2009, 06:18 AM   #4
ems1

2006 VUE 3.5L

Just an update on the ABS light problem. I jacked up the Vue and removed the left front sensor. I looked at it and came to the conclusion I have no way to determine if it is bad or not. I called a couple of chain auto service shops. They would not touch it because of liability issues with the brakes.
Tried a nearby Chevy dealer. They were not sure they could fix it because it was a Saturn!

Finally went to local Saturn dealer. $118 for the diagnostics. $55 for the part (left rear sensor). $111 for labor to install the part.

Wondering if getting the Vue serviced is going to be a nightmare as it gets older and the Saturn shops disappear? I looked at the 2010 Equinox. I wanted to trade the Vue but wife did not like the limited visibility out of the Equinox when backing up. Seems like the d pillars are thick and block the visibility compared to the Vue. Otherwise, the deal was great and the Equinox is superior to the Vue in most respects. This deal is on hold for the time being while I work on the wife.

'06 3.5 FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ems1's Reputation
Old 08-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

[QUOTE=ems1;1493327]Just an update on the ABS light problem. I jacked up the Vue and removed the left front sensor. I looked at it and came to the conclusion I have no way to determine if it is bad or not.

Finally went to local Saturn dealer. $118 for the diagnostics. $55 for the part (left rear sensor). $111 for labor to install the part.

Wondering if getting the Vue serviced is going to be a nightmare as it gets older and the Saturn shops disappear? /QUOTE]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

ems1 ... it appears you don't have a multimeter but it would be a good idea to pick one up. The simple ones are inexpensive - I've seen them for less than $20. You could use the meter to measure resistance and voltage at minimum.

A meter will come with a instruction booklet and I'm thinking you'd pick up the basics in a matter of minutes. For instance, you could have measured the resistance of each of the wheel sensors and probably quickly found the defective one.

Our local Saturn store closed earlier this year. Same parent company claimed they'd continue to provide Saturn service and parts through the GMC dealer. I needed to complete the last drain and fill on my 05 Vue transmission so called GMC to make sure they had ATF-Z1.

They don't stock this fluid which is used in all Vue's with Honda transmission!

They suggested I call the Saturn store Davenport, Iowa ... a two hour round trip. I called Davenport and the parts guy had Z1 at 14.88 a quart. (I paid less than half that at our local store before they slunk off in the middle on the night).

So, I drove to the nearest Honda dealer - 10 minutes from my house - and bought Z1 for 9.19 a quart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
ems1

2006 VUE 3.5L

[QUOTE=far2grumpy;1493413]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ems1 View Post

ems1 ... it appears you don't have a multimeter but it would be a good idea to pick one up. The simple ones are inexpensive - I've seen them for less than $20. You could use the meter to measure resistance and voltage at minimum.

A meter will come with a instruction booklet and I'm thinking you'd pick up the basics in a matter of minutes. For instance, you could have measured the resistance of each of the wheel sensors and probably quickly found the defective one.

Our local Saturn store closed earlier this year. Same parent company claimed they'd continue to provide Saturn service and parts through the GMC dealer. I needed to complete the last drain and fill on my 05 Vue transmission so called GMC to make sure they had ATF-Z1.

They don't stock this fluid which is used in all Vue's with Honda transmission!

They suggested I call the Saturn store Davenport, Iowa ... a two hour round trip. I called Davenport and the parts guy had Z1 at 14.88 a quart. (I paid less than half that at our local store before they slunk off in the middle on the night).

So, I drove to the nearest Honda dealer - 10 minutes from my house - and bought Z1 for 9.19 a quart.
I do have a couple of multimeters and know how to use them. The problem was that I didn't know what value on the sensor I was looking for and it was really hot and humid and after checking the left front I was soaking wet and too aggravated to check all the wheels. I guess I could have got it figured out eventually by checking the resistance on all of the sensors and ruling out the bad one.

Sounds like us Saturn owners are going to run into service problems down the road. I hope Penske manages to save the remaining dealerships.

'06 3.5 FWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ems1's Reputation
Old 08-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

[QUOTE=ems1;1493489]
Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post

I do have a couple of multimeters and know how to use them. The problem was that I didn't know what value on the sensor I was looking for and it was really hot and humid and after checking the left front I was soaking wet and too aggravated to check all the wheels. I guess I could have got it figured out eventually by checking the resistance on all of the sensors and ruling out the bad one.

Sounds like us Saturn owners are going to run into service problems down the road. I hope Penske manages to save the remaining dealerships.
Ah so, didn't intend to demean contents of your toolbox.

I assume EMS1 is indicative or your line of work and I have the utmost respect for you folks. As I grow older my respect increases.

I found a Vue post establishing the resistive value of a wheel speed sensor (WSS) at .735 ohms. I have no reason to doubt the accuracy of the members meter, but I doubt the accuracy of mine, so I'd say one ohm, or so.

A quick search of the web also turned up other values of 50 and 900 ohms so I suppose WSS resistance depends on who provided ABS/TCS hardware.

Here's path to previously mentioned thread and I believe it was post #6:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...rs#post1423378

It just occurred to me ... there might be differences year to year. Wouldn't that be special?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-07-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
3RedLines
3RedLines has a spectacular aura about3RedLines has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post

A quick search of the web also turned up other values of 50 and 900 ohms so I suppose WSS resistance depends on who provided ABS/TCS hardware.
Now you got me curious
I have a new set of Timkin bearings about 5 feet away from me I've been putting off installing. A quick check shows one at 1718 ohms and the other at 1745 ohms.

2007 STS-V
2006 STS 1SC
2005 STS 1SE MRC, ACC, HUD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3RedLines's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3RedLines reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3RedLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:04 AM   #9
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RedLines View Post
Now you got me curious
I have a new set of Timkin bearings about 5 feet away from me I've been putting off installing. A quick check shows one at 1718 ohms and the other at 1745 ohms.
This is a real mystery ... I note from Chazberry's post that he has both a 2003 and 2007 Vue and I assumed the 0.735 ohms he referenced was for the 2003.

I don't understand the disparity between his ohms and yours. I suppose its possible he intended to write 1.735 K ohms but only he can confirm.

Mr. Chazberry, are you out there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!