SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default More Photos of the Renault Samsung SM3

A new image entry has been added:

More Photos of the Renault Samsung SM3

Quote:
There's been a renewed buzz this week about one possible post-GM future Saturn vehicle after a Korean news report revealed on Monday that officials from Penske Automotive Group were in Korea this month evaluating the all-new compact Renault Samsung SM3.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #2
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: More Photos of the Renault Samsung SM3

The more I see of this the more I like it. Saturn SL1, SL2, Saturn SM 3 ????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

I just hope they build it in the US. Same design is fine, but built in America and I'd buy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LotusLord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
CrunkedRL
CrunkedRL is on a distinguished road

I have not yet warmed up to the idea of the SM3 being a good entry level replacement vehicle for the Saturn brand. There has not been any news in the way of any type of high-tech 'cool features' that the SM3 offers nor handiling or reliabilty. The compact car market is fiercely competitive nowadays with so many choices. If this car is going to be a viable player in the market it's going to have to bring something very unique and different to the table or else it will be left in the dust by the Forte, Mazda3, and upcoming Focus. The exterior design to me is only so, so but thats just my 2 cents.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CrunkedRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CrunkedRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CrunkedRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #5
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid will become famous soon enough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

The more I look at this car, the more it turns my stomach. The uncertainty that it may not have the "sturdy" / solid look and feel (read; build quality) of the Aura is quite unsettling (although it may not be intended as the next gen. Aura, the Aura set the standard). I hope this pans out for Saturn. I really do.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
The more I look at this car, the more it turns my stomach. The uncertainty that it may not have the "sturdy" / solid look and feel (read; build quality) of the Aura is quite unsettling (although it may not be intended as the next gen. Aura, the Aura set the standard). I hope this pans out for Saturn. I really do.

It's not the next AURA, it's something to fill the ION/ASTRA gap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

There is a void left by the ION's departure at the lower end of the Saturn product spectrum the Astra didn't adequately fill. If the SM3 does so at a minimum cost, Penske Automotive should certainly explore the possibility. Building an inexpensive compact sedan and hatch exclusively for Penske from scratch will take time and money which are things the new Saturn doesn't have and can ill afford.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

Last edited by GR898SL2; 07-29-2009 at 07:09 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Unacceptable for a Korean built car to be a Saturn.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Why? Saturn as we knew it is dead and almost buried and will never be resurrected.
I would have no trouble buying a rebranded Korean car with a Saturn badge on it. Korean cars are now among the most dependable in the world. Can that be said of any "old GM" vehicle?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Unless you want your next small car to be a Cruze (and I don't), what options do you really have that aren't imports and isn't part of a Chevy vs. Ford rivalry?

The baby Buick isn't coming until 2011, so it's not included here.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

it looks pretty ugly. The void left by the ion has been filled by other brands. You better bring something truly spectacular to get customers back.
On the other hand, it seems that you can run a company into the ground and get big bucks from uncle Sam for that, so don't get your hopes up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #12
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
That's for sure, and I have said it before also. I will not jump on the bandwagon like everyone else here wants to, just becuase the car is going to have a Saturn badge on it. Saturn may have went thought a few different phases, such as a brand that made affordable made in America cars, to Opel deisgned vehciles that tried to make a name in a more upper scale market. If it comes to being a strictly korean made car company, I'll never consider one of their vechiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
Unless you want your next small car to be a Cruze (and I don't), what options do you really have that aren't imports and isn't part of a Chevy vs. Ford rivalry?

The baby Buick isn't coming until 2011, so it's not included here.

The Cruze isn't all that bad looking, at least it will be made here in the US. Not that my next car is going to be a small one anyways, and I am not all that big of a fan of Ford, but I'd still take a Ford fiesta over the tin can Penske cars

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
redkees@msn.com
redkees@msn.com is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
2008 AURA XE

Update the Saturn SL2 rename it the NEW SL3 with front and side airbags, fully loaded with a 2.2 engine 4 cylinder that will average 40 mpg and sell it for $15,000.

Penske/Saturn could easily sell 10,000 plus of that kind of car a month in this
economy.

Previously Owned 98 SL2, Sold
98 SL, Sold
When your Saturn is well kept YOU are well kept.

Second Car: Buick LaCrosse 2006

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to redkees@msn.com's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help redkees@msn.com reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
redkees@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #14
page2171
page2171 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkees@msn.com View Post
Update the Saturn SL2 rename it the NEW SL3 with front and side airbags, fully loaded with a 2.2 engine 4 cylinder that will average 40 mpg and sell it for $15,000.

Penske/Saturn could easily sell 10,000 plus of that kind of car a month in this
economy.
As long as we are in dreamland might as well hope for 250 hp too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to page2171's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help page2171 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
page2171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
speed400m
speed400m is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2005 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Mad Re: More Photos of the Renault Samsung SM3

If this is the kind of cars Saturn will see its sure to fail. At least I know that I would not buy it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to speed400m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help speed400m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
speed400m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:55 AM   #16
Citation84
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR898SL2 View Post
There is a void left by the ION's departure at the lower end of the Saturn product spectrum the Astra didn't adequately fill. If the SM3 does so at a minimum cost, Penske Automotive should certainly explore the possibility. Building an inexpensive compact sedan and hatch exclusively for Penske from scratch will take time and money which are things the new Saturn doesn't have and can ill afford.

Exactly. GM spent years and billions to develop Saturn and then immediately lost the plot. Penske doesn't have the sort of unlimited funds and time to re-visit the old Saturn/GM business model.

Crunked RL:there's not much out about the M3 since it was just released and shares it's platform with the Renault Megane IIRC. Perhaps a check there would answer some of your questions.

I for one would hope that an "entry level" car is pretty much devoid of electronic crap that will raise the price and be expensive to fix down the road. By all means offer it, but let the customer choose if he wants that sort of gimmick on his car or not. For example: I would rather havew had AC standard on a base Astra than that stupid junk like On Star and "rain sensitive" wipers. Just silly electronic crap that raises price and complexity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:30 AM   #17
Citation84
Master Member

2005 ION-1 Sedan

BTW, I am well aware that current buyers consider anything w/out power brakes, steering, windows, locks, cruise etc etc etc as stripped, so I am in the minority. I used the Astra as an example as what not to do: call yourself a premium small car and just load the car with electronic gimmicks rather than real value;like A/C being std in all models.

Nissan made a clever tactical move with the Versa 1.8 at under $10,000. How much extra floor traffic did that provide ? And how many came out with a more expensive car ? That base Versa appeals to me, mightily. I am old enough to choose what I need and want on a car. It's why I loved the S Series in the first place [and my 63 Valiant]: the ability to have one with everything or nothing. And they sure sold a lot of basic SLs & SL1s judging by the looks of it. And at full retail......

Hopefully Penske will see that the Kia/Hyundai/Nissan Versa model will sell cars, not the GM pretense of "we've gone upscale now because we say we are."

No one believed Saturn as an "upscale" brand, they don't believe it now.

As for the M3 being "ugly": I give you: Saturn L Series 03-05, VUE 06-07, even the ION 05-07, all dismal refreshes that did nothing for the product.

The Aura was the first really pretty Saturn and the Astra their best looking compact ever, IMHO. [I leave out the SKY as I thought it was less attractive than the Solstice and nothing remarkable].This falls between the S Series [cute] and the Astra/Aura in appeal.

It's all opinion anyway, take mine like you would anyone else's; with a pound of salt].

Mr. Penske: I'll take an M3, in plain vanilla please

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #18
LotusLord
LotusLord is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal scan View Post
WTF samsunng so no more saturn named cars
The car is marketed as a Samsung elsewhere, it would be a Saturn in the US.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LotusLord's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LotusLord reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LotusLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 AM   #19
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Warning: may cause drowsiness.

Oh c'mon, the car's not ugly. No uglier than half its competition. And that's the problem; it's another look-alike sedan, on a unibody structure, and probably belt-timed. Yawn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #20
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
Why? Saturn as we knew it is dead and almost buried and will never be resurrected.
I would have no trouble buying a rebranded Korean car with a Saturn badge on it. Korean cars are now among the most dependable in the world. Can that be said of any "old GM" vehicle?
Not to sound blunt, but you're the type of shallow customer Penske hopes to walk into his stores...

The past 10 years it's became rather convenient for Saturn to continue to "Rethink" and change Saturn into whatever they want the company to be. Somewhere the line needs to drawn.

Enough is enough... If Penske is going to re-badge imported cars as Saturn's he should do the name justice and retire the name. If Penske wants to sell Samsung cars, then lets call a duck a duck and brand it as a Samsung.

I have nothing against Korean cars, other than I rather support a car built by a US manufacturer. It's economic suicide for our nation to continue to purchase as many imported cars as they have been. Cars are usually the second most expensive items people buy, and this money should stay in the US.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote