SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
MikeAR
MikeAR is on a distinguished road

Dizzy New to the forum looking for some help.

I have to start off the story leading to this problem

Last november I started having major electrical problems only being able to drive my saturn SL2 about an hour before the battery was toast. process of elimination I replaced the alternator and battery and cables. The altenator shorted out took out the battery. But still the battery would not hold a charge. So after tracking down all the wiring and checking I found a lot of BURNT wires after replacing them the car now holds a charge................

Took it to the gas station filled it up and went home about 3 miles away. as I was driving my gas gauge was dropping fast!!! I lost 1/2 tank of gas just trying to get home.

I tracked the problem to a piece that NO ONE knows what it is.
On the back side of the engine by the fire wall There is a controler of sorts that one fuel line plugs into and a what I guess is a vacuum line also plugs into *that line goes back up to the air intake on top the engine*. It sits on a bracket and what I think is the MAP sensor plugs in right beside it. Does anyone know what this thing is???? I tried to put a smaller piece of gas line on it. and use hose clamps but the piece is broke off so there is not enough length on the piece to attach it where it wont come off.

None of the parts houses around me know what it is and when I called the parts department for saturn they told me they dont know what it is to bring it in. after explaining it to them that I could not drive it 1 1/2 hours to their location they told me that they would research it. that was 2 days ago and they still do not know what it is. ** go figure LOL*

So can anyone help me out and happen to know what this stupid little piece on the car that keeps making me drive my 89 towncar getting 10 miles to the gallon ;-(
I really would like my 40 MPG back LOL

Thanks in advance and sorry this was so long.

Michael in Arkansas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeAR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeAR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeAR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1
Default Re: New to the forum looking for some help.

Welcome

A picture would help. Model year would help too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
MikeAR

its a saturn sl2 1.9 DOHC manual and working on the picture now. itll be just a second on it .

Mike

2001 saturn SL2 175000 miles New alt. battery, and cables,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MikeAR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #4
MikeAR

number 1 is where the gas line goes in and 2 is the vacuum hose that goes up to the air intake and 3 is some sort of electrical connection to the part.

Thanks again for any help

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unknown.jpg (122.4 KB, 42 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Cannister purge solenoid.

If you have liquid fuel at it your problem is not originating at the solenoid. It is at the fuel tank. It is supposed to handle fuel vapour from the fuel tank not liquid fuel. Stop gap measure would be to unplug the vacuum line and block it and the solenoid fitting.

You do need to find out why you are gettinig liquid fuel to the solenoid though.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

http://thomasb.worldwideshoppersclub.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
MikeAR

I bow down to you my friend! ! ! ! ! ! !

Thank you so much. Now to check some more things out and see if I can find out why the liquids coming through!

I have noticed with this car its been one thing after another. but for some reason I cant let it go like I have other cars. If I had this much trouble out of a different car it would go away ASAP. but this one has me hooked on it for some reason LOL

I will let you know if I can find out something on the liquid or where its coming from anyway.

again I thank you. I searched the part you said and its only about 30$ to replace.
Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

One word on the connections of the purge solenoid.
There should not be a connection directly to the fuel tank.
The tank vent line runs to the charcoal cannister in the front right behind the bumper. Then the canister purge line runs to the solenoid, and the solenoid to the manifold.
If for some reason the tank vent line has been re-routed directly to the purge solenoid, you have found the problem.
Get a diagram of the routing for the tank vent and purge solenoid, most of this is on the rad header label under the hood, and confirm that the lines are run properly. Then look at replaceing parts.

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

I believe that MikeAR's 2001 will be different than what you are thinking with your 98 and 97. If I remember correctly the vapor cannister is at the back of the car. It is certainly not at the washer bottle like on yours. On his there will be a vapor line from the rear. Either way something is feeding liquid fuel into the EVAP vapor system.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

http://thomasb.worldwideshoppersclub.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
MikeAR

Thank you guys so much.

I did find where the fuel was coming from and it was not actually the vapor line that was leaking fuel.
The main fuel feed line is wrapped with the vapor line coming from the rear of the car through the firewall. right where the 2 lines split from each other there was a pin hole in the fuel line that was running down the vapor line making it look like the fuel was coming from the vapor line.

The part was ordered yesterday from advanced auto and should be in tomorrow.

I am still waiting on Saturn of Greater Little Rock to call me back to let me know what the part is to start with... **I now know what it is. I am curious on how long its going to take them to call me back and let me know what it is **

I just hope they get the right part in because there was no description of the part or picture to confirm what was being order. Gotta love it.

Thanks again guys

Mike

REWARD EXCELLENCE!