SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
mgsalida
mgsalida is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default nu b to forum

Hi all! Maybe this has been asked before, and if it has, sorry to ask again. Here is what I have: 97 Saturn SL2 twin cam. 210,725 miles. Bought this car from my wifes neice back in Dec 08. Have put about 6,000 miles on it. Have replaced water pump, radiator, t-stat, ignition module/coils, spark plugs/wires, converter, O2 sensors, etc. Just had trans replaced back in April. Back in June, I had to remove the cyl head (had burned #3 valve). Had friend of mine do the valve job for me. He replaced two valves and cleaned up the rest. I put it back together a couple of weeks ago (installed new timing chain, guides, tensioner) everything was lined up properly. Also, I cleaned out the intake manifold and cleaned the throttle body. Now, I get a slight rough idle (fluctuates from 700 800). It acts like the eng is getting too much fuel. I checked the injectors, all about 12.6 ohms (cold, range is 11.5-12.5). Aside from tearing down the front of the motor again to make sure my timing marks are good, or purchasing new injectors (approx $200), I'm at a loss as to what else to look for. Engine runs good off idle and at freeway speeds. I replaced the evap lines from the canister to the purge valve, and from the valve to the intake. Compression is good 180 psi across all cyls. I've rechecked intake bolts, ck'd vacuum at the fuel regulator, ck'd for vacuum leaks......Any thing I might have missed?????????

Oh, it did start idling rough shortly before the eng quit back in June.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by mgsalida; 07-22-2009 at 07:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mgsalida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mgsalida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mgsalida is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: nu b to forum

Did you replace the ECTS? Instructions are in the how-to.

also, 210k miles for a '97 = ~17,560 miles a year. wow, that little thing was driven hard.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
velleguy73
velleguy73 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL
2002 SL

700-800 is really minor. Have you checked your fuel pressure/filter? Hopefully you cleaned the Idle Air Controller when you cleaned that manifold. Also, you can bench test the TPS sensor with a meter <it's a Rheostat>.

sounds like you have nice ride there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velleguy73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velleguy73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velleguy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:39 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

If by "front of the motor", you mean the timing chain cover, you don't have to do that. Just remove the cam cover. There's a TDC mark on the crankshaft. When it's at TDC, the letters "FRT" (well, you have replacement cam gears, so the markings may be different) should be exactly right-side-up or exactly upside-down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post

also, 210k miles for a '97 = ~17,560 miles a year. wow, that little thing was driven hard.
hay adventureoflink even better '98 with 260k (dad's commuter bought with 20k) = 23,640 a year , have put a new trans at 150k, horn out, leaks on door from axident, I'm thing about time possiably for a new car (I found a '02 with 45k for 4,500, but he did not want it )

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura aboutJerryHughes has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Even though you checked for vacuum leaks, you can use a spray, if you haven't already, such as a throttle body cleaner, spraying around the lines, hoses, etc. while the car is running. If, when spraying, the idle changes notably then you probably have a leak. Cheap test and may answer your question. If you've got this covered already----kindly disregard this post.

Last edited by JerryHughes; 07-23-2009 at 11:27 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JerryHughes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JerryHughes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
hAnNibAl_H
Advanced Member
hAnNibAl_H is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Thats a pretty nice tune up, haha. But +1 to the ECTS if you haven't already, brass tipped and its amongst the best simple tune ups one can do.

99.5 SL2
Blackberry
135k clock
74k Motor

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hAnNibAl_H's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hAnNibAl_H reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hAnNibAl_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #8
mgsalida

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post

Thanks for the response. Yes, the ECTS was changed for a brass tip one. Ya, that is a lot of miles. My niece bought it used in 2001 from a salesman. It had 100k when she bought it. We bought it from her in Dec 08 with about 205k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mgsalida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
mgsalida

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHughes View Post
WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Even though you checked for vacuum leaks, you can use a spray, if you haven't already, such as a throttle body cleaner, spraying around the lines, hoses, etc. while the car is running. If, when spraying, the idle changes notably then you probably have a leak. Cheap test and may answer your question. If you've got this covered already----kindly disregard this post.
Thanks for the reponse. Yup, checked with carb cleaner around intake manifold, etc. I also replaced evap lines from canister to purge valve solenoid and to the hard line for fuel return.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
mgsalida

1997 SL2

Thanks for all of the responses! Everything has been checked, cleaned (even replaced IAC, TPS, etc.) I replaced fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, etc. My only other thought is to replace the injectors. I ohmd them out and they are 12.7 ohms (high end of the specs 11.5-12.5). However, if I'm wrong, there goes about $200 or so. Timing looks good, marks line up w/crank. Bottom end of eng looks good. Can still see honing marks on cyl walls.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!