SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 04:59 PM   #1
jmatero
Advanced Member
jmatero is on a distinguished road

Default VUE Tire Pressure

My new VUE has about 35PSI in each tire... the door says 30psi is correct... is there a reason it's so high? Is it OK to lower on a new vehicle to mfg. spec?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmatero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmatero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2002, 07:39 PM   #2
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Run what it says on the door. Check it cold (first thing in the morning) with a known good gauge - most of the gauges in use are wrong. If you go to an oil change place, check your tires immediately! Those goons ruined the tires on my Cherokee by pumping them up to 50 psi. The suspension on your VUE (and every other car) is set up based on the design tire pressure. Running 35 psi cold probably won't hurt anything, but your ride will be harsher and noisier. You may wear the center of the tires quicker and there will be some traction loss. My new VUE also came with 35 psi, and I dropped it to 30 the next morning - big difference in ride quality.
On gauges; a good 'stick' gauge calibrated only to 50 psi only costs about $10.00 at a 'real' parts store like NAPA. Why only 50 psi? Because that's more than you'll need for car tires, and gives better accuracy of reading since the numbers and lines are farther apart than on the 100 psi gauge. Dial gauges can be good if they have the 'bourdon' mechanism, but like all air gauges, they can be off considerably. I had an older Sears dial gauge that I discovered to read about 10 lbs high. I have another dial gauge that I trust, and it agrees with a good stick gauge I got for my wife's car.
I guess you can tell you asked about one of my 'pet peeves', tire pressure and tire gauges.
The latest set of tires I put on my Cherokee last June were overinflated at the tire store. I asked the guy when he finished how much air he put in them, and he said "34". This was a very good mechanic, and he had a pro stick gauge. I checked them the next morning and they had 40 psi. Always check if anyone touches your tires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2002, 09:07 PM   #3
bswarm
bswarm is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.4L

Radio Shack has a digital tire pressure gauge for about $12.00 which ranges from 5 to 150 psi in .5 lb increments. I use it to check the accuracy of the other gauges in my shop.
Personally I run 35psi in my VUE tires, I like the handling better, but If the center starts wearing I may lower it a few psi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bswarm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bswarm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2002, 08:34 AM   #4
jmatero
Advanced Member

Well, my VUE shipped with 35psi in the tires. For 2 days, the suspension did seem more harsh than the vehicle I test drove and it did jostle on bumps. This morning, I lowered the cold tire PSI to 32 and the ride was MUCH smoother and it really hugged the road better with a lot less BANGING over the bumps. Also, the few interior "noises" VANISHED. The suggested PSI is 30 so I'm going to go down to that tomorrow and I'm expecting another improvement! Check your tire pressure!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jmatero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2002, 08:35 AM   #5
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

When I first got the VUE it had nearly 35 pounds in all four tires. I would have thought the retailer would know enough to put in the spec'd amount! Anyway, I normally run them around 33 psi; I find the mileage improves at least 10% and the ride doesn't suffer too much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2002, 11:16 AM   #6
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: VUE Tire Pressure

Quote:
Originally posted by jmatero
My new VUE has about 35PSI in each tire... the door says 30psi is correct... is there a reason it's so high? Is it OK to lower on a new vehicle to mfg. spec?
could be someone just put 35 psi in them. or they got hotter. adjust them to the correct pressure from the door card when they are COLD.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2002, 02:46 PM   #7
vebix
vebix is on a distinguished road

Do all the VUE's have the same recommended tire pressure, or does it vary from model to model? I have a 2003 AWD V6, and if I'm reading the card correctly, it says 30 PSI on all 4 tires. Is everyone else's the same?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vebix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vebix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-03-2002, 07:14 PM   #8
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Hey Mrweather: That black VUE is a beaut, ain't it? Mine is like yours - black, AWD V6 w/ABS. I went ahead and got the tan leather interior, too. Someone mentioned armrests in another thread, and my driver's armrest doesn't stop at the horizontal position like the passenger's, it angles down more when set. I wonder if it can be reinstalled? I only have 190 miles on it, so I haven't even given it a full-throttle shot, but it sure feels strong. Looks like I get a chance to check out the AWD and ABS over the next couple of days - I'm in VA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2002, 10:16 AM   #9
AWF
AWF is on a distinguished road

Tire pressure MUST be checked COLD---thats is before you drive the car---sitting in the drive way!!----When you drive the car the tires get hot and the air pressure goes UP!!--the difference can be 4-5lbs of pressure---that why you are getting 34/35 reading.
If you run rough roads everyday you should checkyour tire pressure once a wk---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AWF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AWF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2002, 10:33 AM   #10
mr weather
mr weather is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by 1saxman
Hey Mrweather: That black VUE is a beaut, ain't it? Mine is like yours - black, AWD V6 w/ABS. I went ahead and got the tan leather interior, too. Someone mentioned armrests in another thread, and my driver's armrest doesn't stop at the horizontal position like the passenger's, it angles down more when set. I wonder if it can be reinstalled? I only have 190 miles on it, so I haven't even given it a full-throttle shot, but it sure feels strong. Looks like I get a chance to check out the AWD and ABS over the next couple of days - I'm in VA!
Yes I really enjoy my VUE. And the black colour (or is that "absence" of colour) is absolutely fantastic. It will be a bear to keep it clean since it shows everything but when it is clean, boy oh boy! Another thing I like with the black is I don't see the infamous gaps between the body panels; it all just blends together.

What I've noticed with the armrests is that the final "resting" angle is determined by the angle of the seatback. If you sit more upright the armrest will point down towards the console. The opposite is true if you sit more reclined.

Full throttle shots are an experience, although the torque-steer will make you sit up and hang on to the wheel.:o: The L81 really sings when the revs climb.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr weather's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr weather reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-04-2002, 10:48 AM   #11
jmatero
Advanced Member

I checked all four in the morning, in the parking garage, in 14 degree weather, with the car parked there 12+ hours. 34-35 in each. I know they usually over-inflate them at the factory and as part of dealer-prep, the pressure should be taken back down. Guess they forgot. When I purchased my Passat back in 2000, the tires had 45 PSI in them.... were supposed to be 34psi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2002, 04:06 PM   #12
Laurence
Laurence is on a distinguished road

Reading through this thread prompted me to rush out to my garage and check the tire pressures on my new VUE with only 135 miles on it. One tire was 38, one 37, and two 35. I though the dealer was supposed to check these things prior to delivery.

Laurence

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Laurence's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Laurence reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-19-2003, 11:35 PM   #13
silvervoo
silvervoo is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I just came across this thread and when I did I went out and checked my tire pressure on my 1.5 week old vue. Sure enough, all four tires were at about 36psi. I lowered them all to 30psi where they should be, now I'll have to see if the ride is affected tomorrow on the way to work.

One other problem is that I checked the tire pressure with my new digital gauge which I got for christmas, but just to be sure I checked again with my old analog stick gauge, and it differs from the digital gauge by 2psi. So now the question is which one do I trust, or how do I find out which one is correct? The digital gauge is supposed to read 0-100psi, where the analog gauge is 0-50psi.

●● If it doesn't have a clutch, I'm not interested ●● Vive la bote manuelle ●●

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvervoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvervoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:55 AM   #14
jsevinsk
jsevinsk is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2004 VUE 3.5L

I'm not sure if this applies to older VUEs, but...

I have one sticker on the door and another sticker on the body that both say the tires should get 30 psi. However, recently I noticed a third sticker on the door that says "Important -- revised cold tire pressure 35 psi." The sticker has a date on it, and it was sometime during the middle of 2004.

John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jsevinsk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jsevinsk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2005, 10:57 AM   #15
ricksLS1
Master Member
ricksLS1 has a spectacular aura aboutricksLS1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsevinsk
I'm not sure if this applies to older VUEs, but...

I have one sticker on the door and another sticker on the body that both say the tires should get 30 psi. However, recently I noticed a third sticker on the door that says "Important -- revised cold tire pressure 35 psi." The sticker has a date on it, and it was sometime during the middle of 2004.

John
They upped the pressure as part of the rear suspension recall

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ricksLS1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ricksLS1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2005, 06:13 PM   #16
AWF
AWF is on a distinguished road

If you are using the OEM Duelers and have **DONE** the suspension recall --35psi is correct. ( Rem--Tire Alignment) --Tire pressure is influenced by the weather and driving habits ( Cold Climate States) --Highway driving for moderate to long distances and moderate to long driving times will increase the tire pressure--once the tire heats up.

35psi is the ** COLD** tire pressure.

On the other hand if you have replaced your (Duelers) with (Michelin Cross Trak) you might find a psi between 32-35 that combines ride and economy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AWF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AWF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #17
bower100
bower100 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I believe the term digital, by itself,means nothing relative to accuracy. But if it's a quality devise, ( ie ... not cheap), it should be quite accuracy. Assuming they work as a load cell, because of their internal construction, digital devises may become inaccurate and require re-calibration, due to abuse, much easier than their analog/mechanical counterparts. The internal parts have almost no movement, but can be really wracked by external forces.

A good quality conventional guage, if accurate from the manufacturer, is liable to be a good devise for many many years.

At any rate, to check any guage it needs to be compared to a certified calibrated source, or you can assume if several guages read the same they're all right. ( the more the better). Conversly, if ones different, it's prolly the wrong one. ... no kidding.

Range ? ... It's true the best accuracy is likely to be achieved by measuring something in 70-80% of the devises maximum range. 35 psi air ? ... A 0-50# guage is good. 0-100#, .... don't expect alot of accuracy.

Check tire pressure at ambient temperature. Whether it's on a cold or hot day. Tire carcase, (and so the air in it), should be at the same temp. as the air outside it.

Question: Following the above guidelines, will a tire pressure measured on a cold day read essentially the same had it been measured on a hot day?

I say yep, but i ain't so sure. dave.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bower100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bower100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:22 PM   #18
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Hotter air takes up more volume, so the pressure on a hot day would probably be different than the pressure on a cold day. (unless changed)

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:59 PM   #19
bower100
bower100 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Yeah, but that same hot air inside the tire is also outside the tire, pushing inward on the tire. ? ? ?

The tires just a barrier between the two different pressure zones.

dave.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bower100's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bower100 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-12-2005, 12:19 AM   #20
Tollag
Tollag is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

NO. it's not a matter of pressure inside and out.. Nomatter what the temperature outside, the atmospheric pressure stays the same. In a tire however, as temperature changes, so does pressure. A good rule of thumb is 1lb for every 10 degrees farenheit. So.. If you inflate your tires to 30psi when it's 30 degrees out, at 70 degrees, you have... thats right. 34 psi. Thats why you need to adjust as outside temp changes from month to month.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tollag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tollag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread