SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2009, 01:13 AM   #1
HotLava-'94SC2
HotLava-'94SC2 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Default 1994 SC2 overheating (I know but...) with glowing red exhaust manifold

I have a 1994 SC2 DOHC 5-SPD Manual with somewhere between 90k and 1 million miles (odo was broken when I bought it in Jan-09). I have changed the thermostat, water pump and belt. I verified that I have a brass tipped ECTS and the connector is good. I have done the MMO piston soak (once). I just replaced the timing chain, guides, and sprockets... because there was a clicking sound coming from that side of the car (much like a ten speed bike sounds when you pedal backwards). I had a friend with me who double checked my work and we even put the chain on, took it off, and reinstalled to make sure we did it right (or maybe wrong 2 times). The sound is now gone. Put new plugs and wires on at the same time (no plati's just the normal cheap ones). I have also recently cleaned the EGR valve (with new gasket) and it looks good and ran a lot better after doing so, although it still hesitates every once in a while, but only after driving 20+ miles if it even acts up (think I will go to a you-pull-it and get another one and see what happens). Also, the hose from the throttle body to the PCV broke when removing the valve cover so I got one from a 94 SL2 while at the junk yard getting a new timing cover (long story) and just used the PCV valve (after cleaning with carb cleaner) that was on the end of the hose.

All changed or new:

Alternator
Starter
Coolant Res. Cap (OEM from Saturn)
Oil Cap (original seemed loose) from O'Reilly
R&P Steering
Tires
PCV (old from junk yard)
Thermostat
Water Pump (old one was probably fine)
Brake Pads
Timing Chain, Sprockets and Guides
Timing Chain Cover (JY) and oil pump (new from O'Reilly)
Top Motor Mount, Studs, nuts (all from Saturn Dealer)
ECTS (not new or changed, but verified it was the brass tipped one)
Plugs and Wires (The number 1 and number 2 wires were mixed up at the coil when I bought the car, not sure how long it was driven like that).
Cleaned EGR
Cleaned Throttle Body intake with carb cleaner because the gas pedal would stick when starting from a stop (fixed sticky pedal)
Interior Light (lucky find an the JY)

Any way drove it from Houston to Baton Rouge and it ran great. The A/C is dead, so it would eventually get to 3/4 on the temp gauge and then the fan would kick in and it would go back down to 3/8, fan would kick off and the cycle would repeat about every 45 minutes (drove straight thru 300+ miles). This is normal behavior and probably expected in the TX/LA summer and did not worry me. Had a great time in BR with family and friends, who have cars with ACs that work so the old and still good-looking Saturn sat for 12 days. As I was driving back I stopped (never turned it off or stopped except...) at McD's for some grub and noticed while sitting at the drive thru that the temp gauge was in the red and the coolant light was on solid, no blinking. The car never cut off like it would if the coolant was boiling over, and once I got going again the gauge dropped to 1/2 to 5/8 the rest of the way (about 80 miles). The coolant level was good after cooling down. I averaged 33 MPG on the trip. The problem repeated after exiting highway speeds and coming to red light or heavy traffic. Once I got going again, say 30 mph, the car would cool down to 5/8. Did not burn any oil on the way to BR (300 miles) but had to add about 1 quart after driving back and around town (maybe 350+ miles).

Started to trouble shoot today, thinking the fan was on its way out and not sucking enough (or any) air through the radiator. Ran the car in the drive way for about 15 mins, with some revving of the engine, and the problem repeated itself. The gauge went past 3/4 (the fan would always kick on at this point and the engine would cool down). Well, the fan kicked on as always, and I could feel the air being blown towards the engine past the radiator. So the fan and PCM is probably ok. However, I did notice that the exhaust manifold at the front of the engine was glowing red-hot. Also, I hear a clinking noise that comes from the exhaust area near the cat converter when the engine is idling down after acceleration. The noise has been there since I bought it in January (may have gotten a little worse). No oil leaks around valve cover.

Question is this -- what should I do first? I will put the old PCV on to see if that makes a difference. Is the cat plugged and needing replacement (my guess)? Fuel getting to the exhaust manifold and burning there = red hot glow meaning running rich?

I have searched the forum for hours. I come here almost daily and read all new posts and remember seeing one with similar symptoms but could not find it again. Seem to remember a timing issue may have been suspect.

Anyway, I await your responses (MadP, Rich, Low and OldNuc). BTW, the car runs good, accels good and idles superbly.

Chad

Current Saturn 1994 SC2 5spd-man (bought Jan 2009)
First Saturn 1993 SC2 5spd-man (donated in 2001)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HotLava-'94SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HotLava-'94SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HotLava-'94SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2009, 01:24 AM   #2
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2
Default Re: 1994 SC2 overheating (I know but...) with glowing red exhaust manifold

Is the fan cycling on and off while your driving on the highway? I don't think that's normal unless your going pretty slow or it's very hot (it's normal in traffic, but at highway speed, there should be enough air flow because the car is moving).

The fact that the manifold is glowing red hot seems to indicate something other than the cooling system, though--I'm no expert on this, but I would suspect the cat-converter is plugged or something. At that mileage, unless it's been replaced, it is likely that the cat-converter is not in good shape. Might also want to check the O2 sensor--if the fuel mixture isn't right, it could run a lot hotter than it should. Also, if the trip was mostly highway driving, unless you had a full load or drive aggressively, your mileage sounds a bit low to me (which could be caused by a cat converter or O2 sensor). I usually average around 38-39 on mainly highway trips with my '95 SL2 auto (although that's a bit higher than most, I think). In a mix of some highway and some light traffic, I get upper 20s or low 30s.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
HotLava-'94SC2

1994 SC2
Default Re: 1994 SC2 overheating (I know but...) with glowing red exhaust manifold

Plastic,

I forgot to mention, the car was probably wrecked before I bought it. The supports for the bumper (plasict pieces) are all gone, along with the air dam. So... I "manufactured" my own air dam and attached it (using zip ties) to where I thought the actual air dam should go (based on pictures found on this forum). Before doing this the car would overheat on the highway after 10 miles or so. My solution is surely not perfect, but it is cheap and there are no overheating issues provided it is not 95 degrees plus (June-Sept here in TX). So "normal" on my Saturn is probably not normal for those lucky enough to have a "complete" front end.

However, I do know how the car behaves temp wise, and something has changed. I am leaning towards the cat as well, but everything I know about cars has pretty much come from this forum. Don't want to fix what is not broken. Thanks for the quick reply fellow insomniac.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help HotLava-'94SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
Ackpacket
Ackpacket is on a distinguished road

Well you at least know the cooling system is working because the fan is doing it's job, and when it does come on the temperature drops to standard operating temperature.

The exhause manifold is really glowing red? Sure hope nothing down there is damaged. I don't have much experience with oxygen sensors, and i know they operate better at a higher temperature, but will glowing red temperatures damage them? Might want to look into that.

Your post was a little too long for me to read right now AND reply, so forgive me if i didn't see something you mentioned as i just skimmed it. Try checking things that could affect mixture. A lean mixture will result in higher combustion temperatures. Also, the EGR system serves to lower combustion temperatures. Might want to check both of those avenues.

Normally I wouldn't say you have burning going on IN your exhause manifold because unburnt fuel from a rich condition escapes an oxygen deficient cylinder into a...oxygen deficient manifold. Releasing it from the cylinder doesn't allow a rich mixture to finish burning. A rich mixture will however heat up/burn the CAT, and can burn pretty well when the secondary air is injected, but your problems lay above those systems right? Anyways I said normally i wouldn't say you have any burning going on in the manifold, but you said you replaced your timing recently so there's always the possibility of fuel/air escaping on the power stroke and heating up that exaust. Try checking compression. If you have an exause valve opening too early it means everything's been phased by some angle so you'll also have an intake valve closing too early, which will show up in the numbers you get from a compression test.

Happy hunting

2002 sl2 DOHC 126k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ackpacket's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ackpacket reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ackpacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:37 AM   #5
quantumech
Advanced Member
quantumech is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

It sounds like you're running rich if you're getting enough fuel in the exhaust to make it glow. But then again, I'm not an expert. I would figure that part out before tackling the cat...does that glow too?...otherwise you'll end up replacing it again. See if you can't get some live data while driving and see if it goes into closed loop, verify the temp on the ECTS (how did the connector look?) with the temp in the surge tank, and what the fuel trims are.

Might not hurt to see what your fuel pressure is too...if it's too high, the injector(s) (94 was throttle body injection, right? or was that only 91-93?) would dump more then necessary in.

Could also come from low compression leading to poor combustion.

Sasha: 2000 SL1, Manual, 130,500 miles 5-18-2014.

I learn from my experiences. If I screw up, I'm sorry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quantumech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quantumech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quantumech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:58 AM   #6
wishihadacamaro
Advanced Member
wishihadacamaro is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumech View Post
It sounds like you're running rich if you're getting enough fuel in the exhaust to make it glow.
Actually, excessive fuel would make the engine run cooler. Though I think it may increase EGTs since the excess fuel is combusting in the exhaust, but i'm not sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wishihadacamaro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wishihadacamaro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wishihadacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member
Col.FUBAR is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

Exhausts glowing red can also be a sign of a lean running engine as there is very little gas injected the air around it burns (Oxygen at a much higher temp) as well as less gas vapor (which cools down the combustion chamber slightly) and it will cause the car to run very hot and the exhaust will glow red or if you have a different manifold such as and aftermarket steel header it will make the steel discolor and turn blue, lean running can burn through valves and pistons very quickly.

First thing's first, if possible pull your spark plugs and see what they look like; black fluffy deposits are carbon and indicate a rich mixture, very white or even blistered plugs means you are running too lean and too hot.

Former DD: 1994 SC2 5spd. 190K, being sold to a friend

2005 Saturn ION 2 5spd. 73K

1995 Aquamarine SL2
1.9L DOHC 5spd. ~125K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Col.FUBAR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Col.FUBAR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Col.FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
quantumech
Advanced Member
quantumech is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Like I said, I'm not an expert. It just seemed reasonable to me that for whatever reason excess fuel would be burning in the exhaust. I assumed that if the engine was running that lean to cause the exhaust to be so hot that the manifold was glowing that the engine would have stopped by itsself in a not good way, as the valves and pistons would be toast in short order.

If it is running that lean, then they should probably stop driving until they know what's going on. I strongly encourage running the compression test...at least they'ld know the valves are still ok then.

Sasha: 2000 SL1, Manual, 130,500 miles 5-18-2014.

I learn from my experiences. If I screw up, I'm sorry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quantumech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quantumech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quantumech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #9
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.FUBAR View Post
Exhausts glowing red can also be a sign of a lean running engine as there is very little gas injected the air around it burns (Oxygen at a much higher temp) as well as less gas vapor (which cools down the combustion chamber slightly) and it will cause the car to run very hot and the exhaust will glow red or if you have a different manifold such as and aftermarket steel header it will make the steel discolor and turn blue, lean running can burn through valves and pistons very quickly.

First thing's first, if possible pull your spark plugs and see what they look like; black fluffy deposits are carbon and indicate a rich mixture, very white or even blistered plugs means you are running too lean and too hot.
+++1 This engine is running very lean. That's the only thing I've ever heard of that causes the exhaust manifold to glow red. The scarey thing is that every time I've seen a post like this, the engine got fried before the problem was identified.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:48 PM   #10
HotLava-'94SC2

1994 SC2

Uh oh... I am not sure what to do now. I'll pull the plugs and post pictures tonight or tomorrow morning. Probably still put the old PCV valve back in (this one is making a constant clicking noise when the car is idling). Go get a compression tester and see what it says.

Thanks for the replies. Any other hints or thoughts are much appreciated.

CHad

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotLava-'94SC2 View Post
(this one is making a constant clicking noise when the car is idling).
Thanks for the replies. Any other hints or thoughts are much appreciated.

CHad
That's the sign of one that's working properly!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
Jimoto
Jimoto is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Any other hints or thoughts are much appreciated.

CHad
Don't drive it, your either gonna burn the valves, crack a head or possibly even warp the manifold and then some.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jimoto's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jimoto reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
ςατμяη gμψ
ςατμяη gμψ is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Question Re: 1994 SC2 overheating (I know but...) with glowing red exhaust manifold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattelderca View Post
That's the sign of one that's working properly!
is that true? the engine is SUPPOSED to make a clicking noise?

AEM Short Ram Intake
Disabled DRLs
Cleaned Throttle Body
New Front Brakes and Rotors
New Spark Plugs and Wires
New Battery
Charged A/C
New Michelin Primacy MXV4 Tires

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ςατμяη gμψ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ςατμяη gμψ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ςατμяη gμψ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:56 PM   #14
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Your cooling fan should not need to come on, at speeds...
My car has no airdam and even cruising at constant city speeds, the temp gauge stays at 3/8 ish. Only when I stop on hot days does it climb, and forces the fan to come on.

1996 SL2 5MT. 239KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.
2000 SW2 5MT. 133KMs. Gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #15
mattelderca

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ςατμяη gμψ View Post
is that true? the engine is SUPPOSED to make a clicking noise?
Not the engine, the PCV valve. It is quite normal for a PCV valve to vibrate or click a bit at idle. The plunger valve inside is controlled by a spring that regulates vacuum through the valve. A simple device that rarley fails, unless there is excessive blow by and it gets clogged up with oily deposites.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #16
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattelderca View Post
It is quite normal for a PCV valve to vibrate or click a bit at idle.
But should it click constantly? I've never noticed it clicking constantly at idle, on a number of cars - just on occassion.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
HotLava-'94SC2

1994 SC2

Well I finally got around to doing a compression check. I used the $25 US General kit from Harbor Freight with the screw in adapter.

The numbers are as follows (1=cyl closest to timing chain)
1 - 180psi
2 - 185psi
3 - 175psi
4 - 185psi

I have included a pic of the plugs in the same order as the compression test. They have been in the car for about 2 months. Not an expert at reading plugs but they look a little whitish, which to some would indicate a lean running engine. Any thoughts and analysis is appreciated.

Have not been driving the car, expect to warm it up for the compression test. I have a rattle inside the exhaust near the cat converter, so I still suspect that. What would be the best way to bypass the cat (i.e. drill a whole thru it or something else) to see if the red glow goes away? If it does, did I really show that the cat is the problem?

Thanks a lot. Chad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn Spark Plugs Jul26 DSCN0973.jpg (116.4 KB, 42 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:15 PM   #18
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member
Col.FUBAR is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Well I finally got around to doing a compression check. I used the $25 US General kit from Harbor Freight with the screw in adapter.

The numbers are as follows (1=cyl closest to timing chain)
1 - 180psi
2 - 185psi
3 - 175psi
4 - 185psi

I have included a pic of the plugs in the same order as the compression test. They have been in the car for about 2 months. Not an expert at reading plugs but they look a little whitish, which to some would indicate a lean running engine. Any thoughts and analysis is appreciated.

Have not been driving the car, expect to warm it up for the compression test. I have a rattle inside the exhaust near the cat converter, so I still suspect that. What would be the best way to bypass the cat (i.e. drill a whole thru it or something else) to see if the red glow goes away? If it does, did I really show that the cat is the problem?

Thanks a lot. Chad
Surprisingly those plugs don't look all that bad (especially if they were in an engine with a glowing exhaust ).

You should have no rattling inside the exhaust pipe a little rattle on the outside could just be from a heat shield. If your cat is rattling then it is all broken up inside and blocking your exhaust flow out of the engine. Do you get ANY exhaust flowing out of the tail pipe right now???

Start your car with the FRONT O2 sensor (in the exhaust manifold) removed and prepare for it to get pretty loud but if your car runs ok and seems to have more power you should find that your problem is the catalytic converter. The only problem is then it is hard to tell if your destroyed cat = overheating or overheating = destroyed cat

Former DD: 1994 SC2 5spd. 190K, being sold to a friend

2005 Saturn ION 2 5spd. 73K

1995 Aquamarine SL2
1.9L DOHC 5spd. ~125K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Col.FUBAR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Col.FUBAR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Col.FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:23 PM   #19
HotLava-'94SC2

1994 SC2

Been drinking all day so I figure what the hell. Gonna run it and see if the manifold glows red, and then see if the cat glows red. If so, well then I will post results and go from there.

If it does, and it probably will, then I am gonna see if I can unhook the exhuast mani from the cat. If the mani does not glow red then I will probably change cat and muffler and hope that fixes it. If it does, then

The car was driven with the plug wires mixed up for 3 months before I checked (me=dumbass), and who knows how long before I bought it. I have to believe that effed up the cat.

Wish me luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #20
mattelderca

1998 SC1
1996 SL

AHH! Now I think I get it! You have a pre cat in your manfold that was overheating. That would explain an exhaust manifold glowing red.
I think (it could be me) that we all missed the fact that this car has the pre cat. Now a question for the experts, does this mean it also has the air pump, and could the air pump be staying on causing this problem?? Or am I way off base here?

Oh, and crossing plug wires from the same coil will make little difference as one coil fires both plugs at the same time. The cars has only two coils for four cylinders.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!