SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
aaron7
aaron7 is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
Attention 1.35v on the radio battery wire?????????

This has me stumped.

I was drivng around when the radio just shut off. Nothing else in the car shut off, just the radio.

I figured the radio fuse blew. Nope, it's ok.

I tried a different radio... same problem, no power.

I took a multimeter and checked the ground against the body; ground is fine.

Checked the 12v ignition radio wire (red) and it shows 12.8v.

Checked the 12v battery radio wire (yellow) and it shows... 1.35v?!?

What the heck is causing THIS?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aaron7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aaron7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aaron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
aaron7

1999 SW2
Default Re: 1.35v on the radio battery wire?????????

Can't edit my post for some reason.

New info. I get 1.35v from the NON switched 12v line when the key is on. I get around .3 or so when the key is OFF. The switched 12v line has 12.8 when key is on and 0 when key is off; which is how it should be.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help aaron7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
aaron7

1999 SW2

Since the radio fuse is literally 6" away, can I just cut the 12v wire from the radio and run a new one right to the fuse? Any reason not to?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2009, 06:10 AM   #4
spencerforhire
Advanced Member
spencerforhire will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2000 SW2

Your problem is with the "chime" fuse which feeds the orange radio battery wire, not the "radio" fuse that feeds the yellow accessory wire. The original 5 amp fuse isn't large enough for an aftermarket head unit; I suggest replacing it with a 15 amp one. Or you could run the new radio's main power to pretty well any 14ga. red wire you find under the console or at the ignition switch. OEM radios run off of accessory with a battery "back up" to run the clock and station presets, but aftermarket radios actually run off the battery feed and only use the accessory feed to tell them to turn on.

01 SL1-#1 son's
01 SC2-#2 son's
00 SW2-wife's
00 SL2-daughter's
99 SW2-mine
96 SW2-parts
00 SC1-parts
+ 19 scrapped

Visit www.spencerforhire.ca to see what I do other than fix Saturns

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerforhire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerforhire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
aaron7

1999 SW2

The "lights are still on" or "keys are still in" chime? That's still working though... at least I think it is. Now you have me wondering...

Can I just bump that fuse up a little? 10a maybe?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Do not install larger amp rating fuses. You will spend lots of $$ repairing/replacing parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
aaron7

1999 SW2

For the most part that's true, yes, but in my case it isn't a short... just that my radio is pulling too much power.

The radio has a 10a on the back. The chime fuse is 5a. I don't think I'll have a problem putting a 10a in there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
I don't think I'll have a problem putting a 10a in there.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Look at the wiring diagram. The chime fuse is for radio memory and main power for a stock radio ONLY. As L-S visually indicated, you'll cause more grief than you think with fuse substitution instead of using the cells between your ears. Since the yellow wire is switched (from the ingition switch) radio power, the red wire can be cut and tapped into another fuse carrying more than 10amps that your radio is rated for. Cut the red wire and wire it into another part of the fuse box or use those fuse taps - just be sure to tap into a fused line rated higher than the radio's 10A rating so the line is capable of the extra current to run the radio amp as well as supplying current for its circuit. Other members familiar with radio wiring can correct or add any additional information you need.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '94 radio wiring.jpg (92.8 KB, 5 views)

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

Visually all the lines are the same size (except that giant yellow one that pretends to be a rear speaker wire), how are they not capable of the same amount of power? If there was a short then sure upgrading the fuse is a bad idea (which I've found out the hard way too...) but .... the wires are all the same size... lol

My Pioneer 3800MP does 22w per channel (RMS rating) and it's never blown whatever fuse is currently in my '93.

My collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing" (copy & paste between quotes)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote