SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 01:27 PM   #1
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Default Advanced Audio System - not so advanced?

Take a look of the L300 Advanced Audio System. Though it's not news to me the 2 'tiny' speakers on the rear doors are skpped, I wonder why is it happened this way?

Also, I can locate the 'subwoofer' on the rear deck, where is the amp hiding though?

IMHO, the fidelity of the Saturn Advanced Audio system doesn't sound superb. It's kinda missing a lot of mid-high range freq, though the subwoofer does help a lot on the bass gain.

Anyone ever tried to upgrade the speakers in the L, how easy to get done?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2001, 12:25 AM   #2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Somebody said the amp is located in the dash somewhere. What do you mean the 2 tweeters in the rear doors are skipped? I'm sure the sound is not as good as a separate component system aftermarket, but having the tweeters mounted high in the doors is a great improvement over the S-series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2001, 01:44 AM   #3
Qlara
Master Member

Skipped means.....they're skipped! (Not be installed!)
Sadly, but its true.....and weird.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2001, 06:24 AM   #4
Heartbeat - '95 SL2

1995 SL2

Well, that is weird! Why would Saturn install tweeter grills on the back doors without a speaker? I could understand if they did this with the standard system, and added the tweeters with the advanced audio upgrade. Did you check out other cars at Saturn yet? Maybe somebody in Wilmington was on a coffee break when your door panels went by, LOL. I'm seeing friends with an L300 later today, and I think they have the advanced audio. I'll listen to the back tweeters and ask him about it, as he's a Saturn salesman.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2001, 08:57 AM   #5
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Have heard this before in an earlier thread. Two tweeters are left out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2001, 11:52 AM   #6
TheRayMan
TheRayMan is on a distinguished road

I have a L300 with the premium speaker package and I have the tweeters and the work really good.

Take it back to Saturn along with the window sticker (it should list the options) and ask for them.
After all, you paid for them, they owe you.
My car was built April of 2001.

Ray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheRayMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheRayMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-03-2001, 11:37 PM   #7
Qlara
Master Member

Rayman:

Wait! You mean you have Saturn Advanced Audio system and your BACK doors have tweeters installed????

Are you absolutely sure they're in there?

I know other SAAS always have the back tweeters left out, it's not news to me, but just weird to think why?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2001, 03:23 PM   #8
Spork

Yup, no rear tweeters in the advanced. I think I remember reading somewhere that the rear drivers are different as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 06-04-2001, 07:28 PM   #9
TheRayMan
TheRayMan is on a distinguished road

qlara,

You'er right! I don't have them either!
I took it forgranted that if you got the front ones , there should be rears as well!

I feel stupid!

I'll have to spend more time in the back seat!...

I wonder what else is missing...other than my brains!

Sorry for the jolt..but I hope you enjoyed the laugh!

I am blushing with stupidity...

RayMan!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheRayMan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheRayMan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2001, 11:13 AM   #10
sdlynx
sdlynx is on a distinguished road

My L300 doesn't have them (at the moment) either. However I had already conceded to the need to buy aftermarket speakers anyhow. I will be using separates in the rear door spaces though. Might as well use it since it's there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sdlynx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sdlynx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2001, 10:00 AM   #11
Saturn119
Saturn119 is on a distinguished road

I've done some modifing to the stock system in my LS2 and I've gotten it to where it sounds pretty darn good.

I figured the front speakers of the Advanced system were sounding pretty good. And they do. So I left them be. The speakers in the rear doors really really suck. I replaced them with Infinity Reference Series speakers, they sound great.

Removed the 6" sub from the rear and then took the two wires that were for the sub, installed a wire-to-RCA adapter (or whatever they are called) to the factor sub wires. From there plugged the new RCA outs to a 300 watt amp, hooked that to a 12" sub and box i bought and its really pretty darn good, and didnt cost much either. Only wiring that was required was the two wires for voltage and remote for the amp and that was it.

It's all worked great ever since i install the equipment and sounds really good. Seriously, i'm only 21 - still have some good ears and love to listen to it loud. The best part is is that you can turn the out on the amp up, turn the base on the stock receiver down and get really really clear sounds from the speakers while the sub kicks in all the base for you.

It't not bad at all. Blah blah, think i'm done babbling now, Take care.

Adam

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn119's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn119 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2001, 05:49 PM   #12
Qlara
Master Member

Saturn119: So how complicate to take the rear door speakers out? Or did you do it?

I wonder if I can snap the missing tweeters back into the rear door.....it's a ripped-off from Saturn about taking the tweeters out there....that's weird and cheat/cheap!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2001, 11:49 AM   #13
Saturn119

Yes, i just removed the door panels and took the speakers right out. Not too hard at all. You want to know something funny? Did you know that all the doors ARE wired for the tweeters. Even the doors with the missing tweeters have all the wiring in them - just missing the TWEETERS. If you remove the plastic door handle thingy on the inside of the door and pull it back, you'll see the wires for the two tweeters. I bet you can just plug tweeters right in there and they'll work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn119 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-10-2001, 10:22 PM   #14
Qlara
Master Member

Saturn119:
Any userful info you can provide about how to take the rear door panel out?
I don't want to poke around and screw something the panels up....any good tips and tools needed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2001, 10:24 AM   #15
Saturn119

Na, very simple to remove all the door panels in this car.

Remove the three screws that hold on the inside door handle assembly. Think that you'll find the first under the tweeter cover, the second under the power-window switch, and the third under cap at the bottom of the handle.

The rest of the door is just snapped on with little white plastic snaps around the perimiter of the door. Just carefully pull the door back and pull the snaps loose.

After all the snaps are loose, pull the door panel straight up. I dont believe the panels become completedly de-tached because i think there is some wiring in them that keep them from coming completely off.

Hope that helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2001, 01:43 PM   #16
Qlara
Master Member

Saturn119:

Hmm...white little snaps, those are the plastic I worry to break easily whenever I tried to remove the panels on my previous cars....

Though the process of removal sounds simple, thanks again!

Sometimes I wonder why they don't just design a speaker cover snap-on instead, so we don't need to go through the whole panel removal thing.... ;o

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2001, 10:22 AM   #17
Saturn119

The plastic snaps are like 5 cent pieces you can get from your dealership. No big deal at all if they break. I've broken about 5 of them. They just snap right back on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2001, 02:43 PM   #18
Qlara
Master Member

Has anyone ever changed the sub-woofer with aftermarket one? What's the right size to look for

That 6"? sub-woof is kinda hard to find, mostly 8-10" selling only.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2001, 05:15 AM   #19
Heartbeat - '95 SL2

1995 SL2

If you paid for the advanced audio, and decide to pay for another subwoofer, I'd say it would be a good idea to get a larger one. There are 6" woofers available, but they're probably not much better than Saturn's. In general, a 6" sub just doesn't move that much air. My friend had an 8" in a small box in his Acura Integra, and that provided substantial bass (albeit, he also had a great amp). Best to get a very efficient woofer, as I'm sure the Saturn amp doesn't have much power.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2001, 09:54 AM   #20
Qlara
Master Member

It makes me wonder: except in luxury cars, how come most of the stock car audio systems, even the souped-up one like Saturn still have such inferior components which can't match with any decent aftermarket?

Do you agree most of the $100 3-way aftermarket always sound better than any stock?

It's cool to replace the stock 6" sub with larger size, but will the hole fit or need to be customized on a seperate woof-box? Guess the latter will be the case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread