SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #21
diplo
diplo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: code P1101 after new intake

Mil,

I was thinking about doing something similar. What are you using to fasten the shield down to? I am trying to find some opening or something i could drill into to bolt it on.

Also, i am having a hard time removing the original resonance chamber that is just behind the front grill. It seems like its wedged in between the radiator and the frame of the car and i cant seem to get it out.

I figure if i can get it out i could extend my own tubing to the front grill.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diplo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diplo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diplo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #22
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplo View Post
Also, i am having a hard time removing the original resonance chamber that is just behind the front grill. It seems like its wedged in between the radiator and the frame of the car and i cant seem to get it out.

I figure if i can get it out i could extend my own tubing to the front grill.
You have to partially unbolt the upper rad support. I only needed to remove the three bolts on the passenger side to swap out my snorkel, but you might want to remove the three on the driver's side and swing the whole thing up and out of the way if you plan on doing any "customization" in this area.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #23
Mil
Mil is on a distinguished road

Here are the pictures.
It's hold by two L shaped brackets.
One on the front that bolts on the rad support (i had to drill two holes), the other one is on the back using the oem bolt that holds the airbox (torx).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0029.jpg (156.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0030.jpg (167.0 KB, 55 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #24
diplo
diplo is on a distinguished road

thanks, thats helpful

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diplo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diplo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #25
fbrr
fbrr is on a distinguished road

I've posted this before. But some choose to ignore the fact that any change in the induction system can impact the MAF output.

Here is the deal one more time. MAF have a characteristic curve, normally an 8x8 table that converts signal at the sensor to actual Mass of Air. (MAF sensors do not output MASS they are calibrated using those tables values. ) Manufacturers submit production induction systems for flow work with a given sensor to yield MASS Of AIR. These characterized flows are sometime referred to as a 5X5.(Five different air induction systems across 5 different MAF sensors, to yield a PRODUCTION CURVE) When you change either the air cleaner or Induction parts (yes before the meter) you can impact the sensor output.
FDRYER mentioned the production "learn" variation for fuel control. The variation allowed for actual fuel control is entirely different than that allowed for diagnostic failure modes. The variation in "learn" values encompass EXPECTED production variation. If you modify the SENSOR output in either direction that variation moves the EXPECT MEAN sensor point.

The reason for this characteristic curve for the meter, is the upstream induction effect the velocity profile of air density as it passes the meter!!
Density of the air past the sensor is not homogeneous. So the curve correct for this air profile the meter sees. Hence, you can sometime "rotate the meter to change the output such that a diagnostic may not set with a different angle of the meter vs. a NEW non-production induction!

As the correction tables are 8X8 some areas of FLOW may be close while another range of flow can be much further from mean with after market parts.

( I am retired and did calibrate production vehicles for 30 years, but I do know several of the guys that were the original development engineers for various MAF sensor. I also have experience with 5 different manufacturers MAF meters I used in production.)

One last thought I have also added here, but maybe some new folks might be interested in knowing how diagnostics work.

Many of the new OBDII diagnostics use a ratio based detection. It involves comparing passing tests vs. failing tests at various speed and loads. The ratio to set a code varies with speed and load! Also as someone noted, the dealership found codes set in memory with NO CEL set. A diagnostic can flags failures at different levels. Some codes only set for "dealer" diagnostics, ie, NO LIGHT. While others will set without a light until enough failure "tests" have been met! Then there are diagnostics that set with very few "fail" test.

There are also some diagnostics that will "self clear" after enough KEY cycles with no further "fails", such as the EVAP LARGE LEAK. That code will set with a loose fuel cap. So it makes sense to turn it off if a certain number of key cycles show no further fails! ( You found and tightened the cap!)
While others can only be reset with power off, ECM disconnect or Code clearing device such as a TECH II.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fbrr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fbrr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fbrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #26
marcmag
marcmag is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Bumping an old thread here and thanking past posters.

At 114,000 miles, my CEL came on and posted the P1101. The vxr snorkel was installed back-when (maybe 20,000 miles or fewer) and then the K&N intake maybe 10,000 miles ago.

In this order I had the shop check the air intake for leaks (none found), clean the throttle body (can't hurt) and then clean the MAF (they didn't say if it was dirty or dusty). The CEL stayed on during my 10 minute drive home, where I removed and double-clicked the gas cap (the filler tube recall was long ago) although I didn't understand the connection made by another poster between that issue and the air intake code.

Yesterday morning I started the car, the light cleared and it didn't come back all day. You folks who are handier than I am or with a garage could do this yourselves, but I paid Firestone $115 and am happy (so far). They wanted to charge me the $100 "diagnostic fee," but I declined because of my confidence in this forum. THANKS TO ALL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marcmag's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marcmag reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marcmag is offline   Reply With Quote