SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2009, 06:10 AM   #1
jonny772
jonny772 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 ION-1 Sedan
Default jack stands and floor jack

so I am going to start doing my own oil changes, and various other maintenence. I already had jack stands and went out and bought a floor jack, my next question is where can I safely lift my car with the floor jack and brace it with the jack stands? Do I just put the jack/stands where I would lift the car with the scissor jack as if I was changing a tire? I have a 2005 Ion-2, manual trans. And before anyone says "search is your friend" I tried and cant find exactly what I am looking for, thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jonny772's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jonny772 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jonny772 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: jack stands and floor jack

Jack and stands are great to have, but a little much for just an oil change. Get yourself a set of ramps to change the oil. Drive up on em, change the oil, and drive back off of them.

Certified Saturn Technician

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Squareback's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
jonny772

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 ION-1 Sedan

I realize they are more work but its what I have to work with and I dont have alot of room to store ramps ( I live in a small apartment). But my question is, where is the best place to put the floor jack and jack stands so I dont kill myselfthanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jonny772 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
bigbird
bigbird is on a distinguished road

To answer your question: Look under the car, doesn't matter on which side, right behind the front wheel wells. You will see a long beam of metal, that looks like a rail, sitting under the floor pan. This rail runs from the front of the car to the rear, stopping just before the rear wheel wells. These rails are used to lift the car with a floor jack and to support the car when using jack stands. There may be brake fluid lines close to these rails. Make sure you don't pinch a line when jacking. Do not ever use the floor jack or jack stands against the flat floor pan itself. It is thin, non-structural, and will bend or puncture if you try to jack under it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigbird's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #5
jonny772

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 ION-1 Sedan

I just looked under my car and I saw a rail approx 2 inches wide under the car and then another one next to it further under the car, is that what you are talking about?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Read your owner's manual, it's that thick book in the glovebox. The jacking points are illustrated in it. Use some common sense and you'll be fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Squareback reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
bigbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny772 View Post
I just looked under my car and I saw a rail approx 2 inches wide under the car and then another one next to it further under the car, is that what you are talking about?
Yes, those are the rails.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bigbird reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #8
bigbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
Read your owner's manual, it's that thick book in the glovebox. The jacking points are illustrated in it. Use some common sense and you'll be fine.
That's not going to help the OP. The jacking points illustrated in the owner's manual are for the scissor jack that is used to change a tire in an emergency. The jacking points for a scissor jack and a floor jack are very different. Your being sarcastic about the "thick book in the glove compartment" is of no help to the OP. If you had said "read the Saturn factory service manual to locate the floor jacking points", then your reply would have some merit to it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
jonny772

2005 ION-2 Sedan
2003 ION-1 Sedan

I would also assume as close to the front of the car as possible would be the best spot for the stands?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Squareback

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
That's not going to help the OP. The jacking points illustrated in the owner's manual are for the scissor jack that is used to change a tire in an emergency. The jacking points for a scissor jack and a floor jack are very different.
Really?? How so? Show me in an owner's manual anywhere that states the jacking points illustrated are for a scissor jack only. Please, give me a break. The jacking points are the jacking points regardless of the piece of equipment you are using to lift the car. In fact, when using an automotive lift, you lift it at the same points illustrated in the owner's manual "for scissor jack use only."

Quote:
Your being sarcastic about the "thick book in the glove compartment" is of no help to the OP. If you had said "read the Saturn factory service manual to locate the floor jacking points", then your reply would have some merit to it.
It certainly is help to the OP. Do you have any idea how many people have never opened the owner's manual in their car? There is plenty of good information in the owner's manual that any owner should familiarize themselves with, including jack points for the vehicle in question.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Squareback

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny772 View Post
I would also assume as close to the front of the car as possible would be the best spot for the stands?
You want the jackstand behind the front tires, right underneath the bottom of the front fender.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
bigbird

Quote:
Really?? How so? Show me in an owner's manual anywhere that states the jacking points illustrated are for a scissor jack only. Please, give me a break. The jacking points are the jacking points regardless of the piece of equipment you are using to lift the car. In fact, when using an automotive lift, you lift it at the same points illustrated in the owner's manual "for scissor jack use only."
You are absolutely wrong! The small indents under the floorpan lip for the scissors jack will not accept the large pad of a floorjack. Owner's manuals were never designed to give a car owner the information needed to use a floor jack. That info is found in the factory service manual. Ever read one? Have you ever been in any garage and seen any competent DIY'er or mechanic use the indents designed for the scissors jack as a jack point for a floor jack? Didn't think so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

the place where the vertical lower control arm bushing bolts up is a good place for a jack or jack stand, I go on the bolt head and have never caused damage.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
Squareback

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
You are absolutely wrong! The small indents under the floorpan lip for the scissors jack will not accept the large pad of a floorjack. Owner's manuals were never designed to give a car owner the information needed to use a floor jack.
Really? Where does it specify what type of jack should be used at the jackpoints? An automotive lift works just fine at the factory jackpoints, and so does a floor jack. The jackpoints are just that, the places you put the jack to lift the car, and they are designed to take the weight of the car.

Quote:
That info is found in the factory service manual. Ever read one?
Why yes, plenty of times. I have a complete set I was given in Spring Hill, TN when I was trained to be a Saturn technician by the engineers who desigened and built the car. Used them on an almost daily basis at the dealership as well.

Quote:
Have you ever been in any garage and seen any competent DIY'er or mechanic use the indents designed for the scissors jack as a jack point for a floor jack? Didn't think so.
Yes, as a matter of fact I have, on a daily basis. When a car in the shop is lifted with the floor jack, the FACTORY JACK POINTS are used, since that's what they are there for. Cars were also jakced up using the factory jack points, as outlined in the owner's manual, by instructors at the Saturn Technical Training School. I suppose you know more than the people who designed and built the car though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
bigbird

Quote:
I suppose you know more than the people who designed and built the car though.
That is the only correct statement you have made so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #16
Squareback

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
That is the only correct statement you have made so far.
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Everyone's happy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #17
bigbird

Quote:
I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Everyone's happy.
Sounds good to me. Happy jacking

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #18
Joe270
Joe270 is on a distinguished road

The frame is painted black, too. Don't put a floor jack under any of the aluminum parts under there, they'll break. Also, don't put it under the control arm, it's painted black and looks like part of the frame, but it's not. The control arm goes out to the front wheels.

It might give you peace of mind to rap on the metal with a socket wrench or screwdriver, that way you're sure it's steel and not plastic.

Once you figure out what is and what isn't frame, then you have plenty of places to choose from.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Joe270's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Joe270 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Joe270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #19
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

I jack my car up right there center of the first picture at the opening in the frame
I put the jack stands right at the bolt in the second picture

If you or anyone wants to place the jack or stands in another location, thats fine with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jack&Stands (1).jpg (42.4 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg Jack&Stands (2).jpg (44.4 KB, 94 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #20
Joe270
Joe270 is on a distinguished road

Here's a good idea. In the thread I started 'Anyone want to see rebuild photos', the very first photo shows the frame clearly. It also shows the 'lift points' where the garage lift was set to lift the car.

You can easily identify the 'lift points' and the frame from that photo.

I hope it helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Joe270's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Joe270 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Joe270 is offline   Reply With Quote