SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #41
RichBrown
RichBrown is on a distinguished road

1991 SC
1995 SC2
Default Re: Rebuilding 95 DOHC SC2

OldNuc, I found a place that a buddy of mine had an engine hottanked. he was asking me to pick out a piston set and he will bore it to the correct size.. Seems backwards, should I do that or is it better the way we discussed to have the machine shop tell me what size? Thanks

Richard Brown
saturn@mhvnet.com
Current: 1995 Saturn SC2 1.9L DOHC
Dude where's my oil?

Previously Owned:
1991 SC 80k
1992 SC 92k
2001 SC2 33k
1995 SC2 131K
1993 SC2 110k
1996 SC2 101k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RichBrown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RichBrown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RichBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #42
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBrown View Post
OldNuc, I found a place that a buddy of mine had an engine hottanked. he was asking me to pick out a piston set and he will bore it to the correct size.. Seems backwards, should I do that or is it better the way we discussed to have the machine shop tell me what size? Thanks
A good shop will order the pistons you want and when they come in will then check the pistons for weight and diameter and from that bore the block for the proper clearance. the sealed Power pistons are specked at a clearance of 0.001 so the shop has to measure them to insure they get the holes right. Check with that shop and see if they can order the parts for you as it will be cheaper. There is a lot to boring one of these modern blocks. There are many customers who want to do the ordering for many reasons. So that is why you talk to the shop and see how they do business.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #43
RichBrown

1991 SC
1995 SC2

Will do.. thanks

Richard Brown
saturn@mhvnet.com
Dude where's my oil?

Previously Owned:
1991 SC 80k
1992 SC 92k
2001 SC2 33k
1995 SC2 131K
1993 SC2 110k
1996 SC2 101k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RichBrown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:51 PM   #44
RichBrown

1991 SC
1995 SC2

Doe anyone have a link for better cams? Can someone explain what better cams do? thanks

Richard Brown
saturn@mhvnet.com
Dude where's my oil?

Previously Owned:
1991 SC 80k
1992 SC 92k
2001 SC2 33k
1995 SC2 131K
1993 SC2 110k
1996 SC2 101k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #45
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

SPS may sell some performance cams but, I'm not sure. Some people will modify an intake (involves grinding down a tab) cam and put it on the intake side. I wouldn't fool with either one but, it's up to you.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #46
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

Quote:
Doe anyone have a link for better cams? Can someone explain what better cams do? thanks
CAMs improve engine performance in given RPM ranges at the expense of idle performance in most cases. The aftermarket cams that are available are a bit radical and will not function well with the stock PCM. The fix for that is a megasquirt engine management system.

The intake cam in the exhaust side does not trash the idle and improves performance in the 3k RPM+ region. It is also cheap. You really only notice this mod when you wind it up a bit. Rather handy when merging onto the expressway. The only part required is an intake cam.
http://forums.plastikhosting.net/viewtopic.php?t=1373

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #47
RichBrown

1991 SC
1995 SC2
Cool Re: Rebuilding 95 DOHC SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
CAMs improve engine performance in given RPM ranges at the expense of idle performance in most cases. The aftermarket cams that are available are a bit radical and will not function well with the stock PCM. The fix for that is a megasquirt engine management system.

The intake cam in the exhaust side does not trash the idle and improves performance in the 3k RPM+ region. It is also cheap. You really only notice this mod when you wind it up a bit. Rather handy when merging onto the expressway. The only part required is an intake cam.
http://forums.plastikhosting.net/viewtopic.php?t=1373

Is there a part number or link where to buy that certain intake/exhaust cam?

Dropped off block at shop.. Will hear today about pistons and condition of crank Should have it back in 2 weeks. I opted to have it glass beaded, said it would come out much better..

Question, has anyone tried to use a clear lacquer that will not turn yellow from age or heat?

ALSO.. Since I'm soo far from where I purchased the head, they told me to keep my core! LoL I now have 3! Anyone want me to rebuild one for them? $250+shipping and 2 weeks and it's yours. If you want it beaded to look brand new that's an extra $20.

Thanks

Richard Brown
saturn@mhvnet.com
Dude where's my oil?

Previously Owned:
1991 SC 80k
1992 SC 92k
2001 SC2 33k
1995 SC2 131K
1993 SC2 110k
1996 SC2 101k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #48
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You just use the intake cam from one of your dead heads and install it in the exhaust side. You do have to grind off the tab and properly set the timing. The timing is teh part you have to pay attention to. Its all in the link I posted on how to do it. Each cam in a DOHC is marked in the casting as to INTake or EXhaust.

The link is a couple of posts up.

All of the available aftermarket cams are a bit wild and really should be used with an different engine management system to get the most out of them.

The only coating that will stand up is Glyptol and it is expensive. This thread on another board gives you an idea of the work/benefit of coatings.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/east...lant-6777.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2009, 12:03 PM   #49
RichBrown

1991 SC
1995 SC2

UPDATE!

Soooo lol the block is not back yet but everything else is!

I was looking at the timing chain cover and there's a "oil bypass or release" thingamabob in the oil pump. this part was hottanked and glass beaded. Is there a chance that part needs to be replaced now? I'd hate to get it back together and it doesn't work?? As I understand it posts online say that's best to bring back to saturn to replace?

Everything is sooo clean and shiny I dont relaly want to paint anything anymore. Is there a clear coat out there that will not yellow?

I owe you a thanks oldNuc, I went with the Mogul bearings, pistons and rings. For the Main and Rod bearings, pistons, rings and a FULL rebuild gasket set the all came to $391.00 through the shop guy.. To bore and hone the block and glass bead the block, intake manifold, timing chain cover, front knuckles and misc engine panels including pressing the bearings in the knuckles came to another $350 sooo far LoL.. He hasnt finished the block so I'm prayin it doesn't go up much more. Would you say that is reasonable? For what I'm spending I could have well just purchased a rebuild engine! LoL.. But I am having fun with the project...

PLEASE scroll down and tell me what you think about that one bearing! Has me worried.

Some Pics

That's the Oil Bypass or release or whatever it is?? LoL Ignorance is bliss.. If I had my manual with me I wouldn't look this stupid haha..

I assume this is paired with the middle bearings shown in the box on the right. Should it look that scratched up??? The rest don't look like that!

Richard Brown
saturn@mhvnet.com
Dude where's my oil?

Previously Owned:
1991 SC 80k
1992 SC 92k
2001 SC2 33k
1995 SC2 131K
1993 SC2 110k
1996 SC2 101k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #50
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That bearing needs to go back. This is why you really do not want to mail order some of this stuff.

The gizmo in the front cover is the oil pressure relief valve. you can buy a new one and replace it or just push it open slightly with a screw driver and blow the glass out of it if there is any. The FSM thinks you should replace that relief. You have to push it out from behind, straight out. Use a small pry bar and a second flat bar to support the back of your pry tool. Piece of Oak will work. It is important to push up on it straight and the new one goes in with a socket and small hammer.

You can clear coat the outside with POR-15 clear. It is UV sensitive but will last for years under the hood and it will be very slick so goo will wash right off. POR-15 shrinks as it cures so you can brush it on and the brush marks will disappear.

Prices sound about right.

I painted my intake gloss black. Used a motorcycle case paint, very tough stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #51
Highmile
Advanced Member
Highmile is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I'd send the bearing back... with the time and effort you don't need to have one fail from the get-go.

Prices sound about right, yes you could have bought a rebuilt but you still wouldn't know what you've got. I've seen too many purchased rebuilts that were no good or failed way too early.

Oil bypass... yes replace it. At this point it's cheap insurance. Last one I heard of that had the dealer install the by-pass I believe they charged him $20. It controls the oil pressure, so don't mess around with it.

You've spent a bit more than you could have. I normally clean a lot of my own parts with Super Clean and an old paint brush. Works really good. It may leave some of the oil stains on the alum castings but they are still queaky clean (remember cast alum is porous).

Also, be very careful when installing the oil pump gears. They only go one way. The outter gear has a chamfer on the outside edges, one is bigger than the other. The bigger one goes against the cover and the smaller one goes against the steel plate that holds them in.

One other item, I'm not a big fan of glass beading. Make absolutely sure there is no glass bead dust left anywere. It's super abrasive and will eat an engine if it's left inside.

Oh, and don't forget to use a good assembly lube when you start putting it back together. Keep the bearings as clean as possible (no gritty fingerprints, lint, or anything else. Also make sure the same goes for the crankshaft and the inside of the connecting rod and main bearing bore. Things can't be kept too clean.

Highmile
95 sl1 496k (rebuilt engine)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:07 PM   #52
RichBrown

1991 SC
1995 SC2

Just spoke to the shop and the bearing is going back.. They said they are just ordering the one that's bad..

Richard Brown
saturn@mhvnet.com
Dude where's my oil?

Previously Owned:
1991 SC 80k
1992 SC 92k
2001 SC2 33k
1995 SC2 131K
1993 SC2 110k
1996 SC2 101k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #53
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Just spoke to the shop and the bearing is going back.. They said they are just ordering the one that's bad..
I would send back the Entire Set.

I got the same Sealed Power bearings with the Same issue. They do not package them right at all. However the distributor wrapped them up by hand for me after inspecting each one, then 1-day shipped them to me. If they do not wrap them by hand, your going to be sending them back AGAIN.

I skimmed your thread...did you get the correct brearing sizes for both the rods and crank???

Where in Poughkepsie?!?!?! Im in carmel!! Id be willing to help out on the weekends

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #54
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I believe I posted the oil pump prime and initial start and drain instructions in this thread earlier. As you may have a bit of glass in there you want it out so do not run the startup oil past a warm engine point. Its function is to pick up all the junk and allow you to get it out.

The oil relief is the high pressure relief(85psi). Only opens on cold starts with very cold oil. A failure of the spring or seat will result in low oil pressure, not good.

Do not get assembly lube on the backs of the bearings or on the bearing seats. You want the back of the bearing in as close a contact with the rod and main bearing seats as you can manage. Also, do not get assembly lube on the mating surfaces for the bearing caps as it will increase your clearance. Do use the assembly lube on everything else that rotates or reciprocates.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #55
RichBrown

1991 SC
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
I would send back the Entire Set.

I got the same Sealed Power bearings with the Same issue. They do not package them right at all. However the distributor wrapped them up by hand for me after inspecting each one, then 1-day shipped them to me. If they do not wrap them by hand, your going to be sending them back AGAIN.

I skimmed your thread...did you get the correct brearing sizes for both the rods and crank???

Where in Poughkepsie?!?!?! Im in carmel!! Id be willing to help out on the weekends

I've been emailing you lol from sixthsphere about giving me a hand with putting the block back together.. I lost your phone number thought.. email me if you can saturn@mhvnet.com

Richard Brown
saturn@mhvnet.com
Dude where's my oil?

Previously Owned:
1991 SC 80k
1992 SC 92k
2001 SC2 33k
1995 SC2 131K
1993 SC2 110k
1996 SC2 101k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:07 AM   #56
RichBrown

1991 SC
1995 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Rebuilding 95 DOHC SC2

A few new pics of the block back from the shop..

Richard Brown
saturn@mhvnet.com
Dude where's my oil?

Previously Owned:
1991 SC 80k
1992 SC 92k
2001 SC2 33k
1995 SC2 131K
1993 SC2 110k
1996 SC2 101k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:11 AM   #57
RichBrown

1991 SC
1995 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: Rebuilding 95 DOHC SC2

Richard Brown
saturn@mhvnet.com
Dude where's my oil?

Previously Owned:
1991 SC 80k
1992 SC 92k
2001 SC2 33k
1995 SC2 131K
1993 SC2 110k
1996 SC2 101k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #58
OldNuc

1998 SC2

As long as it runs as good as it looks you will be quite happy. Before you put the cam cover on check it for warpage. Don't want oil leaks on the nice clean aluminum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-15-2009, 11:21 PM   #59
RichBrown

1991 SC
1995 SC2
Dizzy Re: Rebuilding 95 DOHC SC2

Richard Brown
saturn@mhvnet.com
Dude where's my oil?

Previously Owned:
1991 SC 80k
1992 SC 92k
2001 SC2 33k
1995 SC2 131K
1993 SC2 110k
1996 SC2 101k

Last edited by RichBrown; 08-15-2009 at 11:28 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2009, 12:08 AM   #60
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That will look nice. I would use one of the POR-15 Hardnose paints to do that as they are about indestructible.

I left the block bare aluminum and painted the intake gloss black to match the plastic cam cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!