SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2009, 02:20 AM   #1
MrRoy
MrRoy is on a distinguished road

Default Manual window regulator repair?

Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to replace it? Please help!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrRoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrRoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Manual window regulator repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post
Does anyone have step by step instructions on how to replace it? Please help!!!
Year and model of your car?

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
hholbein
hholbein is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

I should think the replacement of the manual regulator is a small variant on the electric one.

If you have a Gen2 or Gen3 saturn, I posted some pics and commentary in my photo album here about replacing and reinstalling an electric window regulator for the driver's side window. Might be worth a quick peek to see if there's some relevant tips for you.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...2/ppuser/49827

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
MrRoy
MrRoy is on a distinguished road

I have a 1995 saturn SC1. I am also having trouble finding a used manual regulator for this model. any suggestions are appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrRoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrRoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
Glenn Ford
Glenn Ford is on a distinguished road

I replace two of them on my 1994 SC-2 - no fun at all. I would get a Haynes manual for the Saturn. The directions are good. You have to take off the inner door panel and well as the outer door skin. Alot of details involved, the the repair book handles them very well.

One tool you will need that is difficult to find any where is a 1/4" rivet tool to install the 3 regulator mounting rivets after you drill the old ones out. These rivets need to be purchased from Saturn. One other difficutly will be trying to remove the round screw on washers holding the glass pane to the regulator. They require a special Saturn tool or a small pair of narrow nose vise grips to fit into the two holes in the washers to turn them - not easy. I had to buy a small circular pipe jawed vise grips to go around the washers to grip and remove them.

Saturn does not have any more new window regulators. I was told I bought the last new one from them for my 1994 last Fall. The regulators are not very strong and will break under strong pressure while winding.

Good luck - not a fun job.

Glenn

1994 Saturn SC-2 DOHC Auto
114,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Glenn Ford's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Glenn Ford reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Glenn Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post
I have a 1995 saturn SC1. I am also having trouble finding a used manual regulator for this model. any suggestions are appreciated.
1991-1992 SC, 1993-1996 SC2 and 1993-1996 SC1 manual regulators are all compatable.

And dont use rivets to install the replacement regulator. Use some one inch long 1/4-20 bolts with nylock nuts.

Getting the inner and outer panels off is fairly simple. Follow these directions to get the outer panel off:

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...uterpanel.html

Once you get the outer door panel off, disengage the plastic clips securing the lock rod and handle rod to the interior handle/lock panel. Then working on the interior panel, remove the phillips screw securing the handle to the door and the two phillips screws securing the door grab cup. Slide the handle forward and off the door. Then remove the cup.

Using the proper tool or a small screwdriver, remove the retaining clip securing the wondow crank.

Starting at the lower front corner of the door panel, carefully seperate the interior door panel from the door frame.

Next either buy the proper tool or rig up something to remove the sash nut securing the glass to the regulator. Then either remove the glass or use tape to hold it from sliding down.

Now using a die-grinder, angle grinder, drill bits or rivet removal tool, remove the four rivets securing the regulator to the door frame. Remove the 10mm bolt securing the lower arm to the frame. Then remove the regulator.

Its really not that bad a job. This weekend I removed four manual regulators and replaced them with four power regulators in a 1993 SW2 in about an hour. Swapped out an entire manual windows/locks and mirror system with all power using factory parts and wiring in an afternoon.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

Last edited by Low Saturn; 07-13-2009 at 11:41 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Heres a regultor for you. Kinda pricy though.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

I'd grab a sawzall and head to the junkyard.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 AM   #8
MINICooperS
MINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the roughMINICooperS is a jewel in the rough

I purchased the manual regulator, spare tire, and newer front brake rotors for $15 off Craigslist. I removed the items from the donor car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MINICooperS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MINICooperS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MINICooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
hholbein
hholbein is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Heres a regultor for you. Kinda pricy though.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

I'd grab a sawzall and head to the junkyard.
Wow -- that's what I paid for a full electric window regulator a few months back!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:26 AM   #10
spencerforhire
Advanced Member
spencerforhire will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2000 SW2

Having changed half a dozen Saturn window regulators, I have a shortcut for you- There's no need to mess with the weird sash nuts holding the window glass to the track; a medium size flat blade screwdriver or a big pair of pliers can be used to open up the crimped end at the front of the track to allow the rollers on the scissor arms to slide out. Another small tip; put the inside door panel back on first, as the inner door handle and lock rods are easier to pop back on while there's still access from the outside. As to replacing the 1st gen rivets with 1/4" bolts and nylocks, keep them short as not to interfere with the mechanism inside the door. I have to swap one in the SC1 tonight, and in preparation, I have enlarged the holes in the replacement regulator and installed 1/4" "nut-serts"(riv-nuts?) to ease re-installation.

01 SL1-#1 son's
01 SC2-#2 son's
00 SW2-wife's
00 SL2-daughter's
99 SW2-mine
96 SW2-parts
00 SC1-parts
+ 19 scrapped

Visit www.spencerforhire.ca to see what I do other than fix Saturns

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerforhire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerforhire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerforhire is offline   Reply With Quote