SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2009, 08:39 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default The "New" GM Emerges from Bankruptcy

A new story entry has been added:

The "New" GM Emerges from Bankruptcy

Quote:
The new General Motors Company began operations yesterday with a new corporate structure, a stronger balance sheet, and a renewed commitment to make the customer the center of everything the new GM does. "Today marks a new beginning for General Motors, one that will allow every employee, including me, to get back to the business of designing, building and selling great cars and trucks and serving the needs of our customers," said Fritz Henderson, president and CEO.

2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
ptrentacosta
ptrentacosta is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1995 SC1
Dizzy Re: The "New" GM Emerges from Bankruptcy

Old Habits Die Hard: The New GM reminds me of the classic song by THE WHO - We Won't Get Fooled Again - I keep hearing the line "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss". By the way, at the "New GM" will the suggestion box still be above the trash can? Who knows, maybe in the next ten years Penske will be buying what's left of the "New GM".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ptrentacosta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ptrentacosta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ptrentacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Jaseball
Master Member
Jaseball will become famous soon enough

Default Re: The "New" GM Emerges from Bankruptcy

Yep, put a monkey in a suit or slap some lip stick on a pig. What's underneath and all the underlying problems still exist.

I had little faith in GM before they took 50 billion in tax payer money, so I have zero faith now.

What's the difference in declaring bankruptcy now after blowing another 50 billion vs declaring bankruptcy a few months back? Oh yeah - the UAW and GM execs still got paid for those months. What else happened? Nothing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jaseball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jaseball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaseball View Post
Yep, put a monkey in a suit or slap some lip stick on a pig.
So, you must have read that Lutz is staying on then? LOL

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Nothing will change, basically the same people are still in charge...

I heard the GM logo will be changed from blue to green... To show they are committed to environmentally friendly cars...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

"The new General Motors Company began operations yesterday with a new corporate structure, a stronger balance sheet"
Thanks to the U.S. taxpayers. SUCKERS!
Or the turbo-charged federal printing press.

"and a renewed commitment to make the customer the center of everything the new GM does."
As opposed to what?

"Today marks a new beginning for General Motors, one that will allow every employee, including me, to get back to the business of designing, building and selling great cars and trucks and serving the needs of our customers,"
As opposed to what? Selling mediocre cars and trucks and ignoring the needs of our customers?

I wonder what color the 2009 Yarii will be.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Col.FUBAR
Advanced Member
Col.FUBAR is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
1995 SL2

I'd like to think that the "new GM" is going to be better than the "old GM". However, it is very difficult to believe that much of ANYTHING is going to be different. My dad has worked for GM since 1976 and he has watched the whole company go down the toilet. GM's entire problem is their management, the people who are in charge of the whole company probably couldn't even manage a damn McDonald's if they tried. THEY are the ones losing the company BILLIONS of dollars and yet at the end of the day they give themselves a pat on the back and a hefty salary increase. Then when the crap hits the fan they start laying people off and closing plants or using idiotic ideas to "reduce costs". At my dads plant they actually hired a company to come in and evaluate what needed to be changed to save money. The company said "You have too many office chairs and computers and not enough people to use them". So what does GM do? They figured they would cut costs, so all of the extra chairs and computers landed in the dumpster. How in the hell does that save ANYONE ANY MONEY??? The whole upper management and executives are bringing the company down, so it's nice to see that PRACTICALLY NONE of them have lost their jobs but now countless workers, many plants, and the cities they are located in have had to suffer the consequences of their poor judgment.

My $0.02

Former DD: 1994 SC2 5spd. 190K, being sold to a friend

2005 Saturn ION 2 5spd. 73K

1995 Aquamarine SL2
1.9L DOHC 5spd. ~125K Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Col.FUBAR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Col.FUBAR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Col.FUBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #8
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Nothing will change, basically the same people are still in charge...

I heard the GM logo will be changed from blue to green... To show they are committed to environmentally friendly cars...

Please don't take this the wrong way because that's not how I mean it, but that is such a MS Paint/Photoshop job it's not funny. I'd hope GM's logo change is far more substantive than a simple change in color. If that's the case, spend the money on something more beneficial to the vehicle's safety or performance.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GR898SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Thumbs Down Re: The "New" GM Emerges from Bankruptcy

As I mentioned in another thread, similar, but on a different subject:

The "New GM" is the Joke

The American car buying public is the punchline.

If anyone is seriously buying this whole "We'll be there for the customer...the customer is our #1 priority" BS..well you have some seriously thick Wool pulled over your eyes, and the Wolf is hiding right behind that tree over there.

The "New GM" is the same "Old GM"...when you have the same s working for you AND calling an almost RETIRED Exec out of retirement (Namely Bob Lutz)...well, it's as if the GM board has said, "We'll tell the public that it is the "New GM" (and give you all this fancy glitter)....in the end; it's all the same.

If we as the TAXPAYERS...."OWN" GM? Where is my share and everyone else's of GM...is GM going to give me stock that is WORTH something?

I'm tired of "Lip Service and Hot Air"...then again; it seems that ol' Fritzy boy and the rest of the GM gang... it seems that this is all they are good at...

Lip Service, Hot Air, and a lot of thick wool.

One of the stipulations of the "Emergence" from Bankruptcy for GM should have been that the GM Board should have been reappointed, including Henderson...I don't care that he "Took Over" for Wagoner. Get the Old Hat Tricks out of there!

As previously mentioned in this thread...it's time for the American car buying public to take a stand:

"WE WON'T GET FOOLED AGAIN! "

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
K-1
Master Member
K-1 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.FUBAR View Post
I'd like to think that the "new GM" is going to be better than the "old GM". However, it is very difficult to believe that much of ANYTHING is going to be different. My dad has worked for GM since 1976 and he has watched the whole company go down the toilet. GM's entire problem is their management, the people who are in charge of the whole company probably couldn't even manage a damn McDonald's if they tried. THEY are the ones losing the company BILLIONS of dollars and yet at the end of the day they give themselves a pat on the back and a hefty salary increase. Then when the crap hits the fan they start laying people off and closing plants or using idiotic ideas to "reduce costs". At my dads plant they actually hired a company to come in and evaluate what needed to be changed to save money. The company said "You have too many office chairs and computers and not enough people to use them". So what does GM do? They figured they would cut costs, so all of the extra chairs and computers landed in the dumpster. How in the hell does that save ANYONE ANY MONEY??? The whole upper management and executives are bringing the company down, so it's nice to see that PRACTICALLY NONE of them have lost their jobs but now countless workers, many plants, and the cities they are located in have had to suffer the consequences of their poor judgment.

My $0.02
Middle management, where all good ideas/innovation is squashed, is being seriously cut down. 20% of white-collar jobs are being cut by October, and 35% at the executive level are being shown the door. How does that amount to "practically none?" The UAW picked its poison. They'd rather collect full pay and benefits than keep jobs (what's that about solidarity?). Meanwhile, the non-unionized folk took pay/benefit cuts and (mostly) kept their jobs... until now. Many of those billions that were "lost" went straight to your (and my) dad's paycheck, healthcare/benefits, and pension.

And I have a feeling your cost-cutting story is more hyperbole than fact. Worn-out chairs may have been tossed out, but usable ones would have been sold or redistributed. Computers contain hazardous materials and need to be recycled. GM would be in deep doo-doo if they just dumped them.

Toyota: Moving Forward... off a cliff at a high rate of speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:59 AM   #11
K-1
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, similar, but on a different subject:

The "New GM" is the Joke

The American car buying public is the punchline.

If anyone is seriously buying this whole "We'll be there for the customer...the customer is our #1 priority" BS..well you have some seriously thick Wool pulled over your eyes, and the Wolf is hiding right behind that tree over there.
Have a look at the balance sheet. The "New GM" is nothing like the "Old GM." The fat is being cut and the operations streamlined. Henderson is essentially taking a page from Ford's playbook when Mulally took over. Everything has a sense of urgency behind it.

Quote:
The "New GM" is the same "Old GM"...when you have the same s working for you AND calling an almost RETIRED Exec out of retirement (Namely Bob Lutz)...well, it's as if the GM board has said, "We'll tell the public that it is the "New GM" (and give you all this fancy glitter)....in the end; it's all the same.
Lutz led the product renaissance at GM. As (supposed) fans, we don't want him to retire. He's also taking over some of the marketing side too. Good taste in cars should (hopefully) give him good taste in commercials/marketing.

Quote:
If we as the TAXPAYERS...."OWN" GM? Where is my share and everyone else's of GM...is GM going to give me stock that is WORTH something?
Taxpayers don't "own" GM, the U.S. Treasury does, along with the UAW VEBA trust, Canada/Ontario, and Old GM. There's an IPO coming in the next year or two. The "taxpayers" will be paid back in 2015 or before, depending on when the Treasury sells their share.

Quote:
One of the stipulations of the "Emergence" from Bankruptcy for GM should have been that the GM Board should have been reappointed, including Henderson...I don't care that he "Took Over" for Wagoner. Get the Old Hat Tricks out of there!
General Motors Company will have a new board. Actually, most of the old board at Liquidation Motors has already stepped down, so there's absolutely no chance that the previous BoD will remain intact.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help K-1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2009, 06:29 PM   #12
ptrentacosta
ptrentacosta is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
1995 SC1

Since General Motors is now a shadow of its former self can we now say GM stands for Gelding Motors?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ptrentacosta's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ptrentacosta reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ptrentacosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrentacosta View Post
Since General Motors is now a shadow of its former self can we now say GM stands for Gelding Motors?
maybe that's where the new Camaro target marketing fits in?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
BOB'Saturn
BOB'Saturn is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

At least GM's green background color will keep reminding us where our MONEY went.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BOB'Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BOB'Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BOB'Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #15
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
Taxpayers don't "own" GM, the U.S. Treasury does, along with the UAW VEBA trust, Canada/Ontario, and Old GM. There's an IPO coming in the next year or two. The "taxpayers" will be paid back in 2015 or before, depending on when the Treasury sells their share.
That is right. I am tired of hearing the anti GM whiners out their that claim that we, the people, own GM. We don't own sqaut in GM, and won't

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
Have a look at the balance sheet. The "New GM" is nothing like the "Old GM." The fat is being cut and the operations streamlined. Henderson is essentially taking a page from Ford's playbook when Mulally took over. Everything has a sense of urgency behind it.

Lutz led the product renaissance at GM. As (supposed) fans, we don't want him to retire. He's also taking over some of the marketing side too. Good taste in cars should (hopefully) give him good taste in commercials/marketing.

General Motors Company will have a new board. Actually, most of the old board at Liquidation Motors has already stepped down, so there's absolutely no chance that the previous BoD will remain intact.
While I understand your points...take a look at the history of Saturn as it relates to Wagoner, Henderson, and Lutz...NONE of them EVER liked Saturn from the get-go and once Roger Smith was out of the picture, they successfully did everything in their power at the helm of GM to starve Saturn and make sure that Saturn became what it has now become...an entitety that could be cut off/sold off/cloned of over GM divisions because they never wanted Saturn to succeed. Look up the history on this and you will see what I am talking about.

Granted I am not in the market for a new car; I'll continue to find older S-Series saturns to drive ANYDAY before I plunk ANY type of money down on the spaceship laden interiors that are out nowadays.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
K-1
Master Member

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
While I understand your points...take a look at the history of Saturn as it relates to Wagoner, Henderson, and Lutz...NONE of them EVER liked Saturn from the get-go and once Roger Smith was out of the picture, they successfully did everything in their power at the helm of GM to starve Saturn and make sure that Saturn became what it has now become...an entitety that could be cut off/sold off/cloned of over GM divisions because they never wanted Saturn to succeed. Look up the history on this and you will see what I am talking about.
Lutz was very enthusiastic about Saturn. You'll notice the particular attention paid to its models as compared to Chevy/Pontiac. And if you look at the actual history, Smith jumped ship shortly after Saturn's launch in 1990, Wagoner didn't take the helm until a decade later in 2000, Lutz didn't join the party until 2001, and Henderson didn't have domestic market duties until 2006. The "cut off/sold off/cloned" stuff was to cut cost and stem losses, not a particular disdain for a particular brand. That disdain comes from the heads of other brands (namely, Chevy and Cadillac), who wanted more R&D money. I think your beef should be with Stempel and (John) Smith, who preceeded Wagoner in the top spot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to K-1's Reputation