SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #1
fireman591
fireman591 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Sound deadening project with pics

Well I started my sound-deadening project last week and wanted to share some pictures.
When I did the shocks and struts I removed the inner wheel well liners and used two cans of rubberized under coating with sound deadener. I also added reflectix to all four doors and the hatch. I still have to do the rear cargo area including the quarter panels. I might then take out the carpet and put some down there also. The cans of under coating were $6.00 each and I used 8 of them. The reflectix was $19.00 a roll and I just finished my first roll. So far the vehicle is 100% quieter but this sound deadening stuff is addictive.
Have a good one
Fireman591

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fireman591's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fireman591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fireman591 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
BryanF
BryanF is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Sound deadening project with pics

Man, I've been wondering if there's anything that could be done about how noisy these things are on the road. Sounds like you're really on to something here

How many hours would you say you've put into this project so far?

'05 VUE AWD w/Honda 3.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BryanF's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BryanF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BryanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanF View Post
Man, I've been wondering if there's anything that could be done about how noisy these things are on the road. Sounds like you're really on to something here

How many hours would you say you've put into this project so far?
I bet I have 2-3 hours into it. The doors take about 20 minutes each. Once you do a door. Trace the foam and save it for the opposite side. Same with the rear doors. It makes measuring and cutting happen only once for each side (front and rear).The wheel wells were easy because I had the inner fenders out for the shock and strut install. Those take about 15 minutes per side. The rear hatch is a piece of cake. 20 minutes max.The rear cargo area is going to be a SOB. I will post pictures and give a update when it is done.
Good luck
Fireman591

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fireman591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Nice. I've considered doing something pretty similar to my VUE.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Ok I got the rear cargo area done today and what a pain in the butt. It took over 3 hours

2 hours was removing and replacing all the side plastic and rear seat. Once those were out it took about 1 hour for the cutting and glueing of the reflectix material. I went for a drive and it is quiet. I can't hear the rear tires anymore when they hit a expansion joint. I can hear the front because the firewall and floor pans still need to be done. I will do those with a spray on deadener like I used in the wheel well area. All I can say is this is worth the time I put into it. The car is very quiet now and I can't wait to finish up underneath.
Have a good one
Fireman591

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

OK I finally finished the seating area under the carpet. All I can say is WOW!!!!
The car is silent up to 55mph after that you can start to hear the wind noise but nothing like before I insulated it. I ended up using 3 rolls of 18"x24' reflectix,1 roll of duct tape and 1 can of spray adhesive.
Have a good one
Fireman591

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

How hard was stripping out the seats and carpet?

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm View Post
How hard was stripping out the seats and carpet?
Piece of cake. Just slip the rear seat in the cargo area. It has no carpet in that area. The front seats are held on with 2 bolts each and the center console is held down with 4 screws. The other trip just pops out and the shifter console has a few screws holding it down. The carpet just sits on the floor.
Have a good one
Fireman591

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2009, 01:38 PM   #9
BryanF

2005 VUE 3.5L

One of these days I'm going to try this as well. Where did you buy the rolls of reflectix?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BryanF reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:53 PM   #10
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:

One of these days I'm going to try this as well. Where did you buy the rolls of reflectix?
Bryan ... no intention to preempt fireman591's response but I bought a roll of the stuff at Menard's when I installed an attic fan. IIRC it was reasonably priced for a roll.

Are there Menard's stores in your area?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:

Lowes, $19.44 per roll 24' x 18"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
BryanF

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
Bryan ... no intention to preempt fireman591's response but I bought a roll of the stuff at Menard's when I installed an attic fan. IIRC it was reasonably priced for a roll.

Are there Menard's stores in your area?
There sure are...save big money at Menards, I hear that on those TV commercials all the time . Just wasn't sure how widely available the stuff is because I've never really had to shop around for it before.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2009, 07:15 PM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
There sure are...save big money at Menards, I hear that on those TV commercials all the time . Just wasn't sure how widely available the stuff is because I've never really had to shop around for it before.

The stuff has excellent thermal blocking abilities. I never figured it'd also attentuate sound. Leave it to a firefighter to find new uses.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:22 PM   #14
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman591 View Post
Lowes, $19.44 per roll 24' x 18"
Yeah, Lowes ... go number 48!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
hsuker1
hsuker1 is on a distinguished road

Wow, great tutorial as I was looking at ways to reduce the wind noise. How has it been since you installed it? Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hsuker1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hsuker1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hsuker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:22 AM   #16
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

Wow real nice job fireman looks like you will be warmer in the winter, cooler in summer, and a heck of a lot quieter.Are you gonna do the roof as well? I may have to do this on my vue

Last edited by Someclown; 01-01-2010 at 12:27 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Someclown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Someclown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:25 AM   #17
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuker1 View Post
Wow, great tutorial as I was looking at ways to reduce the wind noise. How has it been since you installed it? Thanks again.
So far so good. Not as quiet as a Lexus but much better than stock

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #18
SoundGuy
SoundGuy is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuker1 View Post
Wow, great tutorial as I was looking at ways to reduce the wind noise.
You will reduce some wind noise but mostly road noise. On a high wind day, even with this in the door panels, you are still going to hear a good amount of wind. This is due to the gaps in the body panels - much wider than a metal-bodied car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoundGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoundGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SoundGuy is offline   Reply With Quote